degrade in sound after biwiring?

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I know that biworing shouldnt really make much if any improvement, perhaps a slight one as you end up getting rid of those nasty blanking plates.

But i dont know if its in my head but at low volumes it sounds as it should but if you crank it up it seems to loose all control and gets really pitchy, ive triple checked ive connected it up all right... The cable is chord crimson plus.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
simon3102000 said:
Hi, I know that biworing shouldnt really make much if any improvement, perhaps a slight one as you end up getting rid of those nasty blanking plates.

But i dont know if its in my head but at low volumes it sounds as it should but if you crank it up it seems to loose all control and gets really pitchy, ive triple checked ive connected it up all right... The cable is chord crimson plus.

All biwiring does (if anything) is likely to make matters worse. Put the blanking plates back, it may make a small improvement.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I find that using Jumpers instead of the blanking plates produces a nice even sound. Also try puting the possitive in the treble and the negative into the bass , leaving the plates in place!, then the other way round to see if you get some gains.

TrevC

kmlav said:
I find that using Jumpers instead of the blanking plates produces a nice even sound. Also try puting the possitive in the treble and the negative into the bass , leaving the plates in place!, then the other way round to see if you get some gains.

The copper/gold links are jumpers. Mind you, a jumper will give you a warm, but somewhat woolly, sound.

vinsona85

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I think Bi-wiring did improve my music by making it slighlty clearer. Try swapping the cables in the speaker (ONLY in the speaker ) top connection to bottom connection.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
TrevC said:
kmlav said:

The copper/gold links are jumpers. Mind you, a jumper will give you a warm, but somewhat woolly, sound.

I don't agree with this and using Jumpers does improve things over the stock links.

I would however agree that bi wiring will not offer any benefit over a single wire of equivalent cost to the bi wire set up. My set up is two amps in mono and I have never owned a bi amped set up so am unable to comment but I have owned a bi wire set up and can say with confidence that a good quality single wire with jumpers does out perform a mid level bi wire set up.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
kmlav said:
TrevC said:
simon3102000 said:
TrevC said:
Just put the links back on the speakers, job done. Biwiring is myth.

what and leave all 4 wires connected still?

Yep.

do not do this!

Why? It will make not one iota of difference so long as the cables are connected to the same set of outputs on the same amp. And seeing that his NAD amp only has one set of outputs, they will be.

TrevC

MajorFubar said:
kmlav said:
TrevC said:
simon3102000 said:
TrevC said:

Yep.

do not do this!

Why? It will make not one iota of difference so long as the cables are connected to the same set of outputs on the same amp. And seeing that his NAD amp only has one set of outputs, they will be.

It will halve the resistance of the wire, so might improve sound quality if the biwire is thin.

My own experience of bi-wiring and bi-amping was quite positive, my Mission M35i speakers seemed to respond well to it.

My current speakers have only one set of binding posts, and its not like these are disappointing! far from it.

bi-wiring is a cheap "mod" you can try, and see if you like/prefer it.

try re-doing the wires, to make sure you have good connections.

if you hear no difference, its no great loss. if they sound worse, go back to a single run of cable.

TrevC

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll shall repeat my own experience of bi-wiring. Twenty five or so years ago I fried the tweeters in my Celestion SL6s. Although they sounded fine, the copper domes were discoloured so I decided to send them back to Celestion for new tweeters. I was offered the option of bi-wiring for a minimal extra charge which I accepted. Back they came so I made up some jumpers & used them as before but with nice coppery-looking tweeter domes.

Some months later I was challenged by a friend to bi-wire them which I eventually did. I add that I didn't expect to hear any difference mainly because there wasn't any logical explanation to why it would work so my expectation was negative. I was almost shocked by the results - the tonal quality was largely unchanged but the level of imaging was noticeably better where individual strands or instruments were easier to follow. I know there's no real explanation as to why bi-wiring could possibly work unless - as has already been explained - the cable pairs are so thin that halving the resistance would make a difference to the bass. I'm also aware that our brains can "fool" us into hearing differences that don't exist. All I can add is that I wasn't expecting to hear a difference but did.

I replaced the SL6s with my current Totem Arros that I bi-wired for a good few months before I experimented with single wiring! There was a slight loss of imaging but better cohesion across the frequencies so I left them single wired as they are now. YMMV!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
TrevC said:
kmlav said:

Which part of the jumper should I use? I found the sleeves were far too thick to make a decent connection to the binding post.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
kmlav said:
andyjm said:
kmlav said:
TrevC said:
simon3102000 said:
TrevC said:

Yep.

do not do this!

Because?

Because.... whats the point? its not the solution for the OP

Its exactly the point, and may be a solution (if the problem exists at all). Sketch out the circuit and you will see why biwiring, but leaving the shorting plate in place makes sense.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
to the op - disconnect everything and start again.

connect up the bass channels 1st then test them. if possible do a channel ID test (if you have a disk) once sorted do 1 tweeter make sure its correct and corresponds with your channel and in phase then do the final tweeter.

if you hear a difference - which some will swear blind you should not..... the irony - then if correctly set up see if it improves things. from your discription could be a phase problem

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts