Dedicated stereo amp and AV amp.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Morning Lads,

I'm contemplating getting a dedicated stereo amp and connecting it through my Pioneer. Is the sound effected in any way as it goes through my Pioneer?? Or anything I should/need to know ??

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
You don't have any 2-channel sources listed in your signature, these are what you'd typically connect to the 2-channel amp to bypass the AV amp for music. If you don't have any music sources I'm puzzled as to what you're trying to achieve with an additional 2-channel amp?

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
You don't have any 2-channel sources listed in your signature, these are what you'd typically connect to the 2-channel amp to bypass the AV amp for music. If you don't have any music sources I'm puzzled as to what you're trying to achieve with an additional 2-channel amp?

Your not familiar with the 751bd then?? :) i'll be using the dedicated 2channel stereo outputs on the CA as my source.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
For 2 channel, the AV amp is not used, as the Source + Front L&R speakers are connected directly to the Stereo Amp.

For AV, it is easier to use a 2 channel amp with HT Bypass....which means that the Pre of the AV amp, directly controls the Power Amp of the Stereo one (for AV). The Front L&R Pre-Outs of the AV amp are connected to the HT Bypass input of the 2 channel amp allowing it to handle these channels.

NB. If the Stereo amp doesn't have HT Bypass, then you have 2 sets of volume controls to contend with (for AV)....which can lead to blown speakers if you forget yourself for a moment.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
The_Lhc said:

Your not familiar with the 751bd then?? :) i'll be using the dedicated 2channel stereo outputs on the CA as my source.

Ok, connect those directly to the stereo amp then. In that configuration the AV amp won't affect the sound in any way.

Sliced Bread

You might want to make sure you demo before you buy.

While adding a stereo amp will do wonders for your music, it will also carry a different sonic signature to your other channels when listening to multi-channel films / music which could effect the overall presentation.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
You might want to make sure you demo before you buy.

While adding a stereo amp will do wonders for your music, it will also carry a different sonic signature to your other channels when listening to multi-channel films / music which could effect the overall presentation.

Although on the flip side there are a number people here doing just that and to my knowledge none of them can even hear a difference between the fronts and the centre, so it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue.

kikiso

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
My configuration is a Pioneer AV Amp for all but my record deck which connects directly to my Elisit-R, this is also connected to the front/left preouts of the Pioneer and drives my B&W CM8s directly for watching movies on my PJ. The rest of my speakers are also B&W, but from the cheaper range. I have no problem when using 5:1 and the CM8s as the front speakers, but I also get the benefit of being able to listen to my recird deck via a very much superior amp for stereo.

The setting of the volume control on the Elicit-R is important and should be set to the same position used when callibrating but can also be "tweaked" when watching a movie to fine tune against the centre speaker depending on vocals and special effects and personal preference for individual films.

I certainly don't have an issue with anything the Pioneer might be removing when watching a film, technically it may be removing something, but if it is I can't tell.

Sliced Bread

kikiso said:
My configuration is a Pioneer AV Amp for all but my record deck which connects directly to my Elisit-R, this is also connected to the front/left preouts of the Pioneer and drives my B&W CM8s directly for watching movies on my PJ. The rest of my speakers are also B&W, but from the cheaper range. I have no problem when using 5:1 and the CM8s as the front speakers, but I also get the benefit of being able to listen to my recird deck via a very much superior amp for stereo.

The setting of the volume control on the Elicit-R is important and should be set to the same position used when callibrating but can also be "tweaked" when watching a movie to fine tune against the centre speaker depending on vocals and special effects and personal preference for individual films.

I certainly don't have an issue with anything the Pioneer might be removing when watching a film, technically it may be removing something, but if it is I can't tell.

It probably depends upon how similar in tonal balance the amplifiers are.

But if you have a sound moving from speaker to speaker (the vocals in gravity is excellent for this), then the tonal balance of the sound would change as it moves around the room. This could be detrimental to the illusion.

Sliced Bread

If memory serves me correctly Clare Newsome had a good solution to this. She used two separate speaker cables with banana plugs from her AV receiver and amplifier. All she had to do was quickly swap over the plugs.

Best of both worlds and no sonic sacrifice.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread said:
kikiso said:

But if you have a sound moving from speaker to speaker (the vocals in gravity is excellent for this), then the tonal balance of the sound would change as it moves around the room. This could be detrimental to the illusion.

And yet, as I said, nobody here using this kind of setup has reported anything of the sort.

Sliced Bread

The_Lhc said:
Sliced Bread said:
kikiso said:

And yet, as I said, nobody here using this kind of setup has reported anything of the sort.
But worth checking in a demo.
If some people are going to the effort of swapping over speaker cables then it must be a problem for some.
Just worth considering is all I'm saying.

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for all the input lads,

I personally find the Pioneer shocking with music, hence the hifi amp. Laying an extra pair of speaker cable from the hifi amp with banana plugs and just swopping over seems a good idea.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
atkins4725 said:
Cheers for all the input lads,

I personally find the Pioneer shocking with music, hence the hifi amp. Laying an extra pair of speaker cable from the hifi amp with banana plugs and just swopping over seems a good idea.

If in budget, I would consider the Bel Canto C5i, which has a clean delivery and HT Bypass.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts