dedicated mains just for hifi

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Ok so spending £100 of your hard earned cash on a single AC power cable might 'lead' your brain in thinking there is a improverment in sound quality, thats another question, but what about before that lead? You have a ring where 2.5mm copper cables is used with all other things pluged into it around the house. Does anybody have any experience with a dedicated mains? Sound quality?

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
tarquin10:
Ok so spending £100 of your hard earned cash on a single AC power cable might 'lead' your brain in thinking there is a improverment in sound quality, thats another question, but what about before that lead? You have a ring where 2.5mm copper cables is used with all other things pluged into it around the house. Does anybody have any experience with a dedicated mains? Sound quality?

This is one of those eternal " In my opinion" topics but I can tell you something about it.

Not so long ago, I was talking to Paul Messenger the reviewer and the electricity company had come to change the meter. While they were there, Paul asked them if they would 'clean' the blades on the main cutout fuse which they did. After that, Paul said there was a marked difference in sound quality.

If it were me, I think I would try a 1:1 transformer. Earthed, of course.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it works. When I listen late at night, the sound quality is markedly better, not just because the ambient noise is less but because the mains supply is "cleaner'' - the hundreds of telephones, TVs, radios, fans, and other electrical appliances in my building and street have been switched off, thus reducing the RF interference in the mains feed. So I believe that a dedicated mains cable that filters RF out is worth the money.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I had a dedicated mains spur installed a few months ago using Supra LoRad 2.5 and some unswitched RA Super Sockets. The noise floor is greatly reduced and therefore dynamics were improved. I think the main (sorry) benefits are down to the dedicated spur as opposed to the the cable itself.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:I use a balanced mains transformer which removes most RFI and its made a staggering difference to my setup

Rik, which transformer do you use? And what does it do exactly? (probably a dumb question!) I use a conditioner, would it make any difference if i used a transformer instead of or as well as it?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
It was pointed out to me t'other day by my neighbour - a long-standing TV lighting designer of some repute - that in film and TV production, the lights, sound and cameras always have their own 'phase'. Food for thought?

A

Anonymous

Also to add the big question how much??
emotion-3.gif

Would just adding another ring dedicated for hifi be worth while or would other circuits on the same DB mean it's not worth while? This would be a cheap(er) way to upgrade. You could use shielded cable and some nice sockets.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:aliEnRIK:I use a balanced mains transformer which removes most RFI and its made a staggering difference to my setup

Rik, which transformer do you use? And what does it do exactly? (probably a dumb question!) I use a conditioner, would it make any difference if i used a transformer instead of or as well as it?

I use a 3kVA Balanced Mains Transformer built by 'Airlink Transformers'

Its not really a dumb question as it does something quite different to standard mains. It takes a 230Volt supply (Mines simply plugged into a plug socket), and once its gone through the transformer its changed to +115 and -115 Volts (As they cancel one another out, it helps remove RFI in the mains)

Ive an Isotek Sigmas mains conditioner, and braided mains cables to also help reduce RFI.

Ive tried with just the transformer, just the Isotek and both. My system definitely benefits from running both (power goes through the transformer first)

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:
I use a 3kVA Balanced Mains Transformer built by 'Airlink Transformers'

Its not really a dumb question as it does something quite different to standard mains. It takes a 230Volt supply (Mines simply plugged into a plug socket), and once its gone through the transformer its changed to +115 and -115 Volts (As they cancel one another out, it helps remove RFI in the mains)

Given the way alternating currents work and how voltage is calculated (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternating_current#Mathematics_of_AC_voltages ) I really can not understand what this is supposed to mean, +115 and -115??

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Ive had my fill of posting links on here. Go googling, theres several sites that explain balanced mains

You start with 230V on live and 0 on neutral. And end with 115V on live and -115V on neutral

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
so, if it is balanced, it may cancel out emi that was picked up along the balanced part. where does the emi picked up before that gets balanced out?

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
1. I have fitted Chord Power Chords to most of my gear and the order in which they make the most difference is source / pre / power

2. A dedicated radial circuit / socket is definately worth the outlay (I paid £135 for mine 1xdouble socket, 4mm cable and 32a MCCB). Lowers the noise floor drastically.

3. Tacima's are very good on low power componants but strangle high power ones.

4. It does not matter about the miles of s*** cable before it comes into your house. Screened Power Cables prevent RFI from eminating FROM the power leads. Mains conditioners attempt to smooth the sine wave to near perfect. The more you pay the better the waveform.

Bye

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:so, if it is balanced, it may cancel out emi that was picked up along the balanced part. where does the emi picked up before that gets balanced out?

Transformers by their very design will filter out RFI to a degree (Which is why the sceptics say conditioners etc are useless for an amp, as amps have their own transformers). Balanced Transformers do a better job than standard ones

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
shooter69: Rik, which transformer do you use? And what does it do exactly? (probably a dumb question!) I use a conditioner, would it make any difference if i used a transformer instead of or as well as it?

I think it works the same way as a drill stepdown transformer. The primary is 230/240 volts. The secondary is 120-0-120 with the '0' volts being connected to earth along with the mains input earth,transformer stack and case and the secondary output earth. Any interference is grounded to earth ia the 0 volts tap. Check with an electrician though. Don't just take my word for it. Safety first, ALWAYS.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:
shooter69: Rik, which transformer do you use? And what does it do exactly? (probably a dumb question!) I use a conditioner, would it make any difference if i used a transformer instead of or as well as it?

I think it works the same way as a drill stepdown transformer. The primary is 230/240 volts. The secondary is 120-0-120 with the '0' volts being connected to earth along with the mains input earth,transformer stack and case and the secondary output earth. Any interference is grounded to earth ia the 0 volts tap. Check with an electrician though. Don't just take my word for it. Safety first, ALWAYS.

The unit I have is protected by 3 pole MCBs connected to both the input and the output which makes sure no voltage remains on the neutral or earth legs (Meaning its safe)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

AlmaataKZ:so, if it is balanced, it may cancel out emi that was picked up along the balanced part. where does the emi picked up before that gets balanced out?

Transformers by their very design will filter out RFI to a degree (Which is why the sceptics say conditioners etc are useless for an amp, as amps have their own transformers). Balanced Transformers do a better job than standard ones

I need to have a look into how it all works.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
I need to have a look into how it all works.

Its a sound electrical design

Theyre used in hospitals to keep the mains as clean as possible

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
aliEnRIK:Richard Allen:

The unit I have is protected by 3 pole MCBs connected to both the input and the output which makes sure no voltage remains on the neutral or earth legs (Meaning its safe)

Is your tx a toroidal or traditional style?

SteveR750

Richard Allen:tarquin10:

This is one of those eternal " In my opinion" topics but I can tell you something about it.

Not so long ago, I was talking to Paul Messenger the reviewer and the electricity company had come to change the meter. While they were there, Paul asked them if they would 'clean' the blades on the main cutout fuse which they did. After that, Paul said there was a marked difference in sound quality.

If it were me, I think I would try a 1:1 transformer. Earthed, of course.

Big respect for him as a reviewer in this day and age but wasn't he in on the laughing days of the 80s along with those bizarre small black sticky triangles that you were supposed to place on mains plugs, centre of LPs and next to speaker drive units? Can't remember who "discovered" them, but this I suppose that this was the granddaddy of the great cable debate

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen:
Is your tx a toroidal or traditional style?

Big heavy toroidal

Goto Airlinks site if you wish to find out more. I suspect theyll build whatever you ask for.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts