Debut 3 slow to start, needs a push for 45rpm

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm got a Pro-Ject Debut 3 from 2005 with speed box fitted that's slow to start at 33rpm and will not play at all at 45rpm until I give the platter one quick push by hand. I've taken the platter off, and while I'm not sure of the technical term the cog/motor that drives the turntable is sunk in ever so slightly at the platter end (only by maybe 3-4mm or so)

Is this fixable by myself, if not is anyone aware of a decent repair shop in the Manchester (UK) area? I am absolutely gutted at not having a functioning turntable. Very close to dumping this one and biting a 250 quid bullet on a new Debut 3.

A

Anonymous

It doesn't seem to slip, I've just had a quick look at it seems to be the central block that's sticking. A quick push gets it going at apparently normal speed, so I don't think it's the speed box losing voltage.

Does the central block need lubricating in some way?

A

Anonymous

That would be much appreciated. It's an excellent turntable, persuaded a few friends to convert to vinyl by buying Debut 3's! This is the first problem I've had in 7 years.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
It does sound as though the main spindle needs a drop of light weight machine oil. If the turntable has been left unplayed for years then the motor lubricant may have failed but, whatever has happened, it's not going to cost anywhere near the sum of a new deck. We carry spares for every Pro-ject ever made so rest assured you can get this sorted.

Please mail us at info@henleydesigns.co.uk or call 01235 511166 and we will be happy to give further advice.

A

Anonymous

The turntable has been in at the least weekly use for the entire time I've had it, though I haven't maintained it at all (no obvious need to). I've sent an email to the above address.

A

Anonymous

Here's a quick video of the motor, it looks like that's the problem but I don't know how it's sticking. I tried pouring some oil around the top with the spindle taken off but I don't think it's soaked through.http://tinypic.com/r/2e3wfp0/6What do you think, try and dismantle the motor and oil it or just buy a new one? If so, how hard would you say it is to swap it over? I'd like to avoid sending it off to Henley, as postage will cost the same as the motor! I've also thrown the original box out years ago after it got damp in an old cellar.Also, any suggestions for a tech in Manchester/Stockport would be appreciated.

Okay, here's a quick video of the motor, it looks like that's the problem but I don't know how it's sticking. I tried pouring some oil around the top with the spindle taken off but I don't think it's soaked through.

http://tinypic.com/r/2e3wfp0/6

What do you think, try and dismantle the motor and oil it or just buy a new one? If so, how hard would you say it is to swap it over? I'd like to avoid sending it off to Henley, as postage will cost the same as the motor! I've also thrown the original box out years ago after it got damp in an old cellar.

Also, any suggestions for a tech in Manchester/Stockport would be appreciated.

EDIT: I've just removed the Speedbox I and it's working fine at 33 and 45 rpm. I've ordered a new Speedbox II as the first one seems to have bit the dust (very warm to the touch as well). I suppose it has been switched on for years! If the new Speedbox II has the same issues I guess I've got accept the only solution is to send it off to Henley. I've had no luck trying to find a local repair shop in the Greater Manchester area.

A

Anonymous

Make sure the pulley is not slipping on the motor spindle -- mine was and a bit of superglue fixed that. Also using the speedbox the recommendation is always start at 33, and then press the button to get 45.

-N-

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts