Dealers on the site

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm becoming a little be uncomfortable with the presence of dealers on this site giving advice about products which they sell.

Would it not be better either to ban them, or to allow posts from all dealers of all products to make comments. Yes, dealers are clearly flagged, but their advice must surely be limited and biased, as, after all, they're trying to sell only the products they mention and are unlikely to praise rival products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. A clarification of commercial representation is due in a forthcoming refresh to our House Rules - watch this space...

idc

I like the presence of dealers and manufacturers, but as you suggest Clare, clarification of who they are, their role and whether they are on the forum intheir own time or as an official representative should be made clear. At the moment it is down to them as to how much they say in their signature.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed: which is why we're working on a House Rules change requiring them to identify themselves as retailers in their signature, confine extra information to their profile, and list the brands they stock.

We're also going to outlaw some of the more obvious touting for business/linking to online e-tailing sites we've seen of late, and keep a closer eye on those we suspect may be retailers or manufacturers/distributors passing themselves off as 'civilian' posters.

And regarding Tarquinh's suggestion that we

Tarquinh:either... ban them, or... allow posts from all
dealers of all products to make comments.

we don't see any point in banning them, and of course any dealer is welcome to join and give advice, provided they're clearly identified as such.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Just to add to what Clare and Andrew have already said, the new House Rules should be going live on the site this week. As soon as they're up, I'll let everyone know.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Wouldn't agree that banning dealers would be a good thing.

I think most have offered impartial advice most of the time. I'm sure the mods would clamp down on any improper practices as pointed out above.

I recommend B&W speakers/Yamaha amp etc. because I have them - no reason why retailers cannot advise auditioning alternatives as long as it's not the hard sell?

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello all,

As a manufacturer I try to get involved in the forums as much as possible. I think this is a good for everyone and I hope that my contributions are of interest and assistance to the users/readers.

With best regards,

Darren

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
clearer_audio:Hello all,

As a manufacturer I try to get involved in the forums as much as possible. I think this is a good for everyone and I hope that my contributions are of interest and assistance to the users/readers.

With best regards,

Darren

Yes Darren, you're a great help - anything that helps explain cables!
emotion-2.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh: I'm becoming a little be uncomfortable with the presence of dealers on this site giving advice about products which they sell.

Would it not be better either to ban them, or to allow posts from all dealers of all products to make comments. Yes, dealers are clearly flagged, but their advice must surely be limited and biased, as, after all, they're trying to sell only the products they mention and are unlikely to praise rival products.How many genuinely unbiased views do you think there are on a forum? Especially as anyone can sign up under any name and pretty much say what they want.

As for banning dealers due to limited experience, where do you buy your hi-fi from? A local dealer? A distant dealer who gives you impertial advice? Or buy blindly on the internet? Some of us have been doing this for decades, know what we're talking about, and have a decent knowledge of a wide range of products behind them. Don't tar all dealers with the same brush.

As for bias, if a product I've heard suits someone better than one we keep I'll say so - no point giving bad advice and being ignored as a result.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
just a thought on this new initative (which I applaud) - but it might be useful for us mere mortals to have either a listing of a manufacturer's key brands in their signature so we can add/subtract the hypothetical pinch of salt (i.e. a Pioneer only dealer saying that Yamaha are rubbish). At the least, it would be a useful reminder to new posters in a dealer's signature that each dealer has a profile setting out their commercial affiliations.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:The house rules state that such brand details should be listed in a manufacturer/retailer's bio - which you can read on any of their posts if you click on their name above their Avatar.

Understood Clare - it was just a thought for those less-familiar with how the site works and the finer points of house rules - meant something like "my commercial profile can be accessed by clicking on my user name", or perhaps that could be construed as advertising? In which case ignore me!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:The Borg collective is working well this morning
emotion-2.gif

Borg out - deleted superfluous duplication.

Big A - I think it's clear enough for now...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts