• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

atc loudspeakers - simply the best ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MUSICRAFT

speakers (SCM7 to 40) to be driven by amps of 75-300 watts. I know you'll come back and say, "yes, but there's X reason and Y reason...". a minimum wattage of 75. I can understand if you recommend an amp with perhaps a 5 or 10 watts shortfall, but the Arc Mini at 25 watts

Back to the sales thingy. your client is seriously gullible. The Solo Mini was never designed to power speakers of the ATC specs, and if played over many hours at a time can cause overheating.
Thanks for your reply.

We have more than one client (hence clientS) using Solo Mini with SCM40 passive monitors and all have done so for years without any issues with their Solo Mini's or SCM40's. Like i said in another thread our clients are fully aware that more can be had from SCM40's with higher quality of amplification later on but in the meantime they like what the Solo Mini/SCM40 does for them . Anyway, one of our clients will be moving up to Lyngdorf Audio’s new TDAI-1120 @ 60w/120w and will also be adding a couple of M&K V8 subs :) We'll look at setting the TDAI-1120's bass management at 80Hz and have the V8's covering the critical lower two octaves of 20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz instead. The SCM40's in conjunction with the TDAI-1120's RC and other adjustable parameters should end up performing to a much higher level (y)

MUSICRAFT

Mercilessly unforgiving of poor recordings they don't colour the music at all. Sometimes that can sound a bit sterile but most of the time they are great.
Until recently i was also using curved SCM19 passive monitors. They've not been designed to be 'great' on a part time basis. ATC doesn't design 'mood swing' monitors. What you're sometimes hearing as sterile is the curved SCM19's revealing what they're being used/fed with and consistently so.

ATC Transducer. A PRECISION MONITORING instrument.

Reactions: plus 1

plastic penguin

Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for your reply.

We have more than one client (hence clientS) using Solo Mini with SCM40 passive monitors and all have done so for years without any issues with their Solo Mini's or SCM40's. Like i said in another thread our clients are fully aware that more can be had from SCM40's with higher quality of amplification later on but in the meantime they like what the Solo Mini/SCM40 does for them . Anyway, one of our clients will be moving up to Lyngdorf Audio’s new TDAI-1120 @ 60w/120w and will also be adding a couple of M&K V8 subs :) We'll look at setting the TDAI-1120's bass management at 80Hz and have the V8's covering the critical lower two octaves of 20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz instead. The SCM40's in conjunction with the TDAI-1120's RC and other adjustable parameters should end up performing to a much higher level (y)
This is what I said earlier. You can use any amp with practically any speaker - it'll work. But a low powered budget amp will never make the most of a 3k plus speaker, especially the aforementioned Solo. I love these Arcams but they're not the gutsiest of amps, having previously owned the Alpha 7 and A65+ for around 14 years. Just making a very pertinent point.

Gray

Nov 27, 2015
I think he's implying that this is an occupation not held in great esteem by many.
He certainly is.
And I'm not alone in wondering how the comment itself could possibly be interpreted any other way.
(Bet you thought you'd never need to explain it!).

Last edited:

MUSICRAFT

But a low powered budget amp will never make the most of a 3k plus speaker, especially the aforementioned Solo.
Like I've previously said in this and in another thread our clients are fully aware that more can be had from SCM40's with higher quality of amplification later on BUT IN THE MEANTIME they like what the Solo Mini/SCM40 does for them .

Btw, we also had another client who used an all in one Philips midi @ 60w/ch i think with SCM40's for five or so without any issues. He then bought ATC's SIA2-150 MK2.

Reactions: plus 1

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts