atc loudspeakers - simply the best ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
speakers (SCM7 to 40) to be driven by amps of 75-300 watts. I know you'll come back and say, "yes, but there's X reason and Y reason...". a minimum wattage of 75. I can understand if you recommend an amp with perhaps a 5 or 10 watts shortfall, but the Arc Mini at 25 watts

Back to the sales thingy. your client is seriously gullible. The Solo Mini was never designed to power speakers of the ATC specs, and if played over many hours at a time can cause overheating.

Thanks for your reply.

We have more than one client (hence clientS) using Solo Mini with SCM40 passive monitors and all have done so for years without any issues with their Solo Mini's or SCM40's. Like i said in another thread our clients are fully aware that more can be had from SCM40's with higher quality of amplification later on but in the meantime they like what the Solo Mini/SCM40 does for them . Anyway, one of our clients will be moving up to Lyngdorf Audio’s new TDAI-1120 @ 60w/120w and will also be adding a couple of M&K V8 subs :) We'll look at setting the TDAI-1120's bass management at 80Hz and have the V8's covering the critical lower two octaves of 20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz instead. The SCM40's in conjunction with the TDAI-1120's RC and other adjustable parameters should end up performing to a much higher level (y)

Mercilessly unforgiving of poor recordings they don't colour the music at all. Sometimes that can sound a bit sterile but most of the time they are great.

Until recently i was also using curved SCM19 passive monitors. They've not been designed to be 'great' on a part time basis. ATC doesn't design 'mood swing' monitors. What you're sometimes hearing as sterile is the curved SCM19's revealing what they're being used/fed with and consistently so.

ATC Transducer. A PRECISION MONITORING instrument.

Thanks for your reply.

We have more than one client (hence clientS) using Solo Mini with SCM40 passive monitors and all have done so for years without any issues with their Solo Mini's or SCM40's. Like i said in another thread our clients are fully aware that more can be had from SCM40's with higher quality of amplification later on but in the meantime they like what the Solo Mini/SCM40 does for them . Anyway, one of our clients will be moving up to Lyngdorf Audio’s new TDAI-1120 @ 60w/120w and will also be adding a couple of M&K V8 subs :) We'll look at setting the TDAI-1120's bass management at 80Hz and have the V8's covering the critical lower two octaves of 20Hz - 40Hz and 40Hz - 80Hz instead. The SCM40's in conjunction with the TDAI-1120's RC and other adjustable parameters should end up performing to a much higher level (y)
This is what I said earlier. You can use any amp with practically any speaker - it'll work. But a low powered budget amp will never make the most of a 3k plus speaker, especially the aforementioned Solo. I love these Arcams but they're not the gutsiest of amps, having previously owned the Alpha 7 and A65+ for around 14 years. Just making a very pertinent point.

But a low powered budget amp will never make the most of a 3k plus speaker, especially the aforementioned Solo.

Like I've previously said in this and in another thread our clients are fully aware that more can be had from SCM40's with higher quality of amplification later on BUT IN THE MEANTIME they like what the Solo Mini/SCM40 does for them .

Btw, we also had another client who used an all in one Philips midi @ 60w/ch i think with SCM40's for five or so without any issues. He then bought ATC's SIA2-150 MK2.

CleanCopperz

Feb 12, 2022
Visit site
atc loudspeakers are designed, i believe, to be accurate, clear, transparent and faithful to the source / signal that is sent to them be it their passive or active designs.

many other loudspeaker manufacturers claim their products also provide this but do they ?

surely if this is the case (and accurate, clear, transparent may be equally available from rival brands) then atc speakers could be considered the best available ?

after all isn't this what we want from a pair of loudspeakers ?

a product that allows us to hear exactly what our source components (source meaning signal so a combination of cd player and amplifier) actually sound like ?

if funds are ever available, a system i would love to own, includes the atc scm40a actives partnered with the atc cda2 - a cd player, pre-amp and dac combined. below is a review of the atc scm40a loudspeakers which the reviewer can only find praise for them !

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TObCGUlmeWU

I think this comes down to character of speakers...and taste.

I like the SCM7 over the SCM19. The kick/snare sound the 7 is more "in the room" kinda feel.

There are many great speaker company, and some do have better measurements as preferred by audiophiles. But what those speakers don´t got is the the character of ATC. Thats why you buy ATC.

Music I thought I didn´t like actually sounds interesting on ATC. It is surprising of how distinguished/different drums sound on the ATC. The music feels "present" in the room. If my eyes where folded/closed and a pair of atc speakers where in front of me in a bigger room, I would maybe not hear the difference of a musician actually playing or the speakers.

This is where I became a ATC "fanboy", I hope so much that there will be an SCM7A version one day. I will buy it in a heatbeat.

When that is said, I will tommorow be listening to SCM40A with pretty high expectation. It took me an hour by myself setting up one of them(36kg).

A message to ATC, if they see this:

I hope ATC will change there dimensions details to the right one:

Both the SCM40 and SCM40A
website says: 980 x 370 x 344mm
Actual size: 980 x 270 x 344mm

These 10cm sent me into a confussion for a month! And i started seing the speakers as an illusion on the different youtube videos in search that the width MUST be WRONG!

My local dealer almost got mad, because he didn´t think I researched the speakers enough before buying. He kept telling me that they was the same width as the SCM19 which was the perfect fit. But how come ATC still not changed this is a mystery to me....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts