bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Good day

I HAD READ that when playing lp, betwen the songs is that dark silence, that you dont hear anything and when usic plays is like a concert, and that the dbx vinyl was thicker and with better quality than todays vinyl disc. It sound amazing, is sad that there is not dbx in currents amps, i would like to hear music with that deep "black" silence stuff *good*

It had a 120 db dinamic, i guess same as cd but it was before the cd era, maybe the cd "people" get inspiration by this dbx 120 db.

some info etc:

"The original dbx Type I and Type II systems were based on so-called "linear decibel companding" - compressing the signal on recording and expanding it on playback. It was invented by David E. Blackmer of dbx, Inc. in 1971. "dbx" is a process of eliminating surface noise for optimum audio enjoyment "dbx" was used on vinyl records and a few selected cassette tapes from 1973 until around 1982.

Although it brought extraordinary dynamic range to the lowly cassette tape and vinyl records, dbx noise reduction did not achieve widespread popularity in the consumer marketplace, as compressed recordings did not sound acceptable when played back on non-dbx equipment; Dolby B was already widely used when dbx was introduced. Although Dolby noise reduction also used some companding, the level of compression and expansion was very mild, so that the sound of Dolby-encoded tapes was acceptable to consumers when played back on non-Dolby equipment.

Over 1100 albums were released with "dbx" encoding, which were known as "dbx discs". When employed on LP's, the "dbx Type-II" system reduced the audibility of dust and scratches, reducing them to tiny pops and clicks (if they were audible at all) and also completely eliminated record surface noise. "dbx" encoded LP's had, in theory, a dynamic range of up to 120db.[3] In addition. All "dbx" LPs were produced from only the original master tapes, with no copies being used, and pressed only on heavy, virgin vinyl. Released in limited quantities with premium pricing."

https://www.discogs.com/label/322174-DBX-Series

DBX%20II%20Model%20128%20Dynamic%20Range%20Enhancer%20&%20Noise%20Reducer.preview.jpg

Good day

It must be at least twenty years since I read anything about dbx, probably longer! I'd never come across any encoded LPs, only cassette replay, but recall plenty of noise reduction side effects. Likewise I'm not aware of amps with it built in, only add on boxes like your picture, or built into tape players.

As you say, for silence between tracks, CD can achieve that - though if recorded in a real acoustic I prefer room ambience to remain.

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
i had never heard DBX is sadness that most commonds amps and people concentrate to much of the dac quality forgetting the analogue parts of the amp is important, in fact could be more important than the dac because nowdays the dacs usually are much better than before;

amps dont use normaly (i belive) power cleaning or something similar of amps that cost lets say betwen 100 and 300 euro (and even more)

There is in Sweden something call Entreq that makes that "black" background in your amp, because it takes all the "****" of the amp and put it to the box (or ground)

http://www.entreq.com/products/ground-boxes-17667704

ps. there sure is also similars produts out there, remember that before (and some few machine today) you used to conect to the ground with a cable for better sound, most radio *biggrin*

entreq it is not the same as dbx but it had the same "black" silence thing in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0CDh7FCTtg

Entreq couldn't be more different. It's not electronics but voodoo!

There was a measured review on a scientific forum that basically showed it added noise. It's a box with wire buried in sand!

http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/entreq-signal-grounding-preliminary-measurements.476/

bubobubo

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
isee thanks for the info,

do you agreed that to have a ground to take the "amp ****" is good? i dont talk now about entreq but just have some ground.

ps. why i did informated about entreq before because i read some test ot it of some respectable swedish hifi magazinet that said that the entreq did in fact make music more natural because it had that " silence dark" background. But well i myselft i found to much expensive but like you say is sure voodoo like biwire stuff *ROFL*

ps. 2 there sure are some kind of noise or clean power energi part inside all amp?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts