Danger of overexertion this Christmas? (Roksan Kandy amp with Monitor Audio RS1 stand-mounters).

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Afternoon all,

Running a Roksan Kandy amp (120W) with Monitor Audio RS1 standmounters (80W power handling).

NYE / Christmas party approaching, last year I found my Amp seemed to develop a habit of magically turning itself up (even in my absence :roll: )..

My B&W 685s were rated to the same as the amp so I wasn't too worried, the RS1's however are only rated to 60-70% the power the amp is capable of producing.

I don't want to find my speakers wrecked. I could either switch over to using variable output on the DAC and turn that down slightly in the hope it doesn't get found by intrepid (intoxicated) explorers or get the 685s out.

My question is though, where abouts does the 'danger zone' start? (I doubt its a simple case of not turning the amp past halfway as I don't think the volume control is linear anyway).

Thanks.

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thats another option I guess, alternative is we use my housemates £30 Trust 5.1 system (4W RMS per speaker) :cry:

Was going to hide the RS1s away anyway but any ideas about how volume control position reflects actual wattage being delivered?

Also the nominal impedance of the RS1s is 6Ohms, the amp 8Ohms do I need to worry about getting the amp too hot?

A

Anonymous

You have no need to worry at all.

Power handling is really a guide and the only thing that could be a problem is if very low frequiencies are played at very high volume as it could exceed the drivers excursion limits but i doubt the amp would be cabable of doing that and that the speakers would be effected at all. As far as the impedance goes amps don't have a impedence really, so this wouldnt make it run any hotter than it would under any normal running conditions. It will obviously get fairly hot at loud volumes though especially over extended periods of time.

Have a happy christmas! :grin:

All the best

James

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Like James said, it's unlikely that the amp would trash the speakers. It's a quality amp with enough power reserve to "keep the party going" (but is also depends on how big the room is. The bigger the room, the more power you need to fill it with music).

Speaker impedance is important when it comes to power. An 8ohm speaker is easier to drive than a 4 ohm speaker.

For parties and such, I have an old Jvc minisystem that does the job. My "real" hifi will never be used for parties, because you don't know what can happen to it when you're not keeping an eye on it all the time.

You could also rent a cheap PA system.

A

Anonymous

Its simple, alcohol and Hi Fi don't mix, particularly when invited guests have no idea of how much you kit costs or means to you (after all its not their stuff), kevin has the right idea.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts