Amplifier for Monitor Audio GX50's

ACE92

May 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to this forum but not new to HiFi, and often read peoples advice on here.

For the last few years I was running a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's coupled with a Marant CD5400 and a Marantz PM7001 amp. My CD5400 died so I bought a CD6002 as I liked the sound of the marantz setup.

I then picked up a pair of GX50's half price and was extremely impressed with the upgrade in sound quality over the RS1's. However I'm now thinking that it may be worth upgrading my amp to get the most out of them.

I listen in a smallish furnished room, and tend to listen to mainly classic rock, indie, aucoustic and some metal at a low to mid volume.

I buy second hand so theres no opportunity for me to demo any amps, but my current short list are:

Yamaha as1000

Marantz pm-ki pearl lite

Roksan caspian m1

and posibly the Roksan Kandy k1

At the moment I'm thinking that the pm-ki would be the best choice for me as I like the sound I get from the marantz cd/ amp and MA combo. From the reviews I've read of the caspian it appears that the volume has to be high to get the best from it which wouldn't be ideal for my listening. From some reviews I've read the Kandy appears not to be a vast upgrade from my PM7001.

Im hoping to spend arround £400

Any advice at all would be much appreciated :)

Ant

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts