Any amp as detailed as Cyrus 6A but with the control of Roksan?

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi

i currently have the As500 amp linked to my bowers and wilkins 684. I'm thinking of changing the amplifier and listened to the Cyrus 6a and Roksan K2 connected to tannoy dc6 bookshelfs.

The detail in the Cyrus was immense. Really liked it. Then I heard the Roksan and the control on the lower notes was great but the amp sounded very warm in comparison to the Cyrus.

Ideally something that has the detail of the Cyrus and the control in the lower frequencies as the Roksan.

I found the Cyrus made the lower frequencies boom compared to the Roksan.

Ill be using a rega dac in my setup and mostly streaming to Airport express.

Oh also a friend of mine is thinking of selling his Cyrus 6XP for around £350-400. It could be a contender at that price

Thanks

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My Cyrus definitely doesn't have any boom in the lower frequencies - quite the opposite in fact.

However, maybe the speakers were fairly hard to drive? The Roksan has a lot more watts than the Cyrus.

You could easily pick up the 6a or the 6XP and add one of the many Cyrus power amps that float around second hand around £200 if you wanted more power.

Alternatively you can get the 8DAC online for £999 now which is 70wpc compared to the 40wpc you heard from the 6a

alimcd

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Where on earth did the A19 come from? An amp marginally more powerful than the Cyrus but without the exacting detail that the OP asked for.

Have you got a good dealer nearby that can show you some alternatives? I would say the Musical Fidelity M3i would be a good start. Very clean and open and has bags of power to back it up.

Where are you based?

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
KidKomet said:
From the sounds of it, a Cyrus 6a with a power amp should do the trick. Maybe the XPA? Could also try a PSX-R as well.

Cyrus 6 series doesn't accept the PSX-R.

I second trying the 8a. Listened to it with some Vienna Acoustics at the factory, and the system was certainly not short of bass, and the detail was brilliant. Daresay I actully preferred it to the Anniversary setup (although that wasn't properly located etc, to be fair. They were just running it in for reviews)!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As mentioned before, the solution is pretty simple ... go for an 8 series cyrus component.

Personally, as a cyrus user, my humble opinion is that the 8 series integrated is the sweetspot of the range. It is upgradeable with a Psx-r, highly recommended but not necessary initially. The 8's have enough power for most circumstances and are very musical.

I feel once you start to get into the pre/mono power etc. there are other options/brands around which deserve serious consideration, BelCanto, Hegel etc.

Hope this helps

Regards

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
As mentioned before, the solution is pretty simple ... go for an 8 series cyrus component.

Personally, as a cyrus user, my humble opinion is that the 8 series integrated is the sweetspot of the range. It is upgradeable with a Psx-r, highly recommended but not necessary initially. The 8's have enough power for most circumstances and are very musical.

I feel once you start to get into the pre/mono power etc. there are other options/brands around which deserve serious consideration, BelCanto, Hegel etc.

Hope this helps

Regards

Plus, with the 8 series, I find adding an X-Power to run the tweeters is a much better proposition than adding one to a 6 series component.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
drummerman said:

Hope this helps

Regards

Bel Canto is a great suggestion, though a bit more expensive.

@ OP

There's an ex-dem C5i on ebay atm for £1249 (normally £1800) from audiologica.

TRENDING THREADS