Damn, damn, damn!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
maxflinn:

i do recall reading that many dynaudio speakers need space, but that's not the case with the dm range, which clare also confirmed on a thread i started a few months back.

i havn't heard many speakers to compare pp but these dm 2/7s are fantastic, i'd demo them anyway when your new speaker hunt continues
emotion-21.gif

Thanks, Max, good man. TBVH, I hadn't seen that before (the write-up on the DM Range). I know I would love to hear the PMCs I tried with my old A65+, but even they need a bit of room. Certainly it'll be worth hearing them with the Leema a little nearer the time.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Congrats I guess for finding a position that sounds good (even if you might suggest its a little impractical?)

Like I always say room treatment is one area of tweaking often overlooked that can make a "mahoosive" difference to the sound of your system (I use that nonsense word to emphasise my point!)

Doing a little experimentation with furnishings placement and ideally even acoustic panels (you can even get art canvas type ones now that nobody would know are acoustic panels), you can improve the sound dramatically.

audioaffair:

Congrats I guess for finding a position that sounds good (even if you might suggest its a little impractical?)

Like I always say room treatment is one area of tweaking often overlooked that can make a "mahoosive" difference to the sound of your system (I use that nonsense word to emphasise my point!)

Doing a little experimentation with furnishings placement and ideally even acoustic panels (you can even get art canvas type ones now that nobody would know are acoustic panels), you can improve the sound dramatically.

Mmmm, well your sentiments are fine, alas the stark reality is it's unworkable. As you know from previous posts I'm a huge believer with acoustics/SQ, but this proves that we all have deficiencies when it comes to perfect sounds. As mentioned before, I had no issues prior to the tinkering
emotion-7.gif
. The options are:

A) Move house B) Major re-work of the house C) Standmounted speakers.

Decisions, decisions....

Edit - A hypothetical question, purely for research purposes
emotion-4.gif

If I was to go standmounter route (either PMC DB1 or Dyns 2/7) which sub would you chaps recommend?

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Furthermore don't just reply on your ears. There are free software such as REW 5.0 to measure the sound condition of your room, e.g.early reflections, frequency responses, waterfall curves etc. I used this tool to measure my living room's music listening environment and then used acoustic tiles for adjustment.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:audioaffair:

Mmmm, well your sentiments are fine, alas the stark reality is it's unworkable. As you know from previous posts I'm a huge believer with acoustics/SQ, but this proves that we all have deficiencies when it comes to perfect sounds. As mentioned before, I had no issues prior to the tinkering
emotion-7.gif
. The options are:

Decisions, decisions....

emotion-4.gif

If I was to go standmounter route (either PMC DB1 or Dyns 2/7) which sub would you chaps recommend?

I used a Rel Strata 5 sub with PMC DB1i's, and ATC scm19's. The Rel worked perfectly with both loudspeakers, adding that extra depth and authority.
But i would suggest you try a standmount/sub combination first, and compare it to your floor standers.

You can get a full range sound using small standmount speakers and sub, but its very hard to get the weight and authority that a floorstander provides.
I went from having small 2 way standmounts + sub, to large 3 way floorstanders/standmounts, back to standmounts + sub, and now finally back to large 3 way standmounts because i can only live with the sound of a large speaker.

MattSPL:plastic penguin:audioaffair:

emotion-7.gif
. The options are:

Decisions, decisions....

emotion-4.gif

I used a Rel Strata 5 sub with PMC DB1i's, and ATC scm19's. The Rel worked perfectly with both loudspeakers, adding that extra depth and authority.
But i would suggest you try a standmount/sub combination first, and compare it to your floor standers.

You can get a full range sound using small standmount speakers and sub, but its very hard to get the weight and authority that a floorstander provides.
I went from having small 2 way standmounts + sub, to large 3 way floorstanders/standmounts, back to standmounts + sub, and now finally back to large 3 way standmounts because i can only live with the sound of a large speaker.

Sorry for not replying sooner. When I had the PMC DB1s here last I found that for music they were ideal - it's only when a DVD was played that the bass extension was exposed. At the time, Mrs. P was dead against having a sub (her phobia about additional boxes), but now, for some reason, her attitude has thawed slightly.

Don't know at this juncture - my main priority at the mo is finding new employment, otherwise any ambitions of further upgrades will grind to a shuddering halt.

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll bare it in mind nearer the time. Cheers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts