Damn, damn, damn!!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i re ran the microphone setup on my av amp yesterday as i am a bit of a tweaker and felt the sound had become a little flat, my settings were so far off what they are now - and the sound is suddenly so much fuller and more detailed - think sometimes you need to just leave alone!

More like the credibility of my system or living room layout. My room is roughly 18' x 13' ish and due to the configuration of the living room I have to fire the speakers across the narrow part (13'). Anyway, I thought I'd see how the sound changed firing the speakers down longways. After changing to my old cable, Carnival Silver Plus, and placing the speakers over two feet from the wall (speakers only placed about 1.5 metres apart) the sound quality is worlds apart from the usual position. True, it needs cranking up more to hear it at its best, but my God, what a sound.

As it stands, while living here, it would be impractical to make it permanent - unless, of course, we do major surgery to the bungalow.

Knowing me, the scalpel would be blunt.
emotion-3.gif

The system sounds impressive 'as is', but by firing the speakers in the other direction it takes it to a different level.

House-hunting maybe on the cards later in the New Year.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
I feel your pain.

I've recently been forced into making the opposite transition. My RS6s now fire across a 12' room - from an alcove!

It's John Lee Hooker time...
emotion-6.gif

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
Grandmother and suck eggs comes to mind as I start to type, but I had to ask the obvious question, have you tried putting it back where it was with the cables etc you are using now just to see what happens.

pwiles1968:Grandmother and suck eggs comes to mind as I start to type, but I had to ask the obvious question, have you tried putting it back where it was with the cables etc you are using now just to see what happens.

There's only a subtle difference between the SilverScreen and Carnival Plus, and the only reason for changing cables is the Carnivals are over six metres (3-a-side), whereas the former is only 2 metres....

It's my own DAMN fault for tampering - I always knew it would return to bite me hard...

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm lucky the configuration of the room prevents me from trying different too many speaker positions, (unless I block-off doorways or start doing away with furniture), it must have saved me hours of tinkering, I took long enough simply trying out different height stands..

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i removed a wall in my lounge to create more space for my projector to allow a larger screen and let the speakers fire across a larger area - my next house will be bought with stereo placement in mind

matengawhat:i removed a wall in my lounge to create more space for my projector to allow a larger screen and let the speakers fire across a larger area - my next house will be bought with stereo placement in mind

Don't think my neighbour would be too happy to have the wall demolished...
emotion-4.gif

Our bungalow was originally a one bedroom affair. Our bedroom used to be the dining room and continues on from the living space. The other end of the living room - and slightly to the left - is the back door, so to avoid major work, and to max the SQ is to purchase standmounted speakers (unless we move, of course).

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
matengawhat:i removed a wall in my lounge to create more space for my projector to allow a larger screen and let the speakers fire across a larger area - my next house will be bought with stereo placement in mind

I would love to open up the space a bit but I'm not sure how well it would go down whilst living in a rented house.. Thankfully at least its detached
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

You can get superb results from stand mounters, PP. You could always add a sub too, allowing you to tune the sound to the room and also turn it off when not preferred.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:You can get superb results from stand mounters, PP. You could always add a sub too, allowing you to tune the sound to the room and also turn it off when not preferred.i agree, i love my standmounts, and after initially not liking using my sub with them i've started to appreciate the difference the sub can make. it's turned down quite low, less than a quarter of the way on the volume dial, but thats enough to add just the right amount of bass withought dominating.

i reckon i'd have to spend alot of money to get floorstanders that would match or better the quality of sound i'm now getting...

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:
pwiles1968:Grandmother and suck eggs comes to mind as I start to type, but I had to ask the obvious question, have you tried putting it back where it was with the cables etc you are using now just to see what happens.

There's only a subtle difference between the SilverScreen and Carnival Plus, and the only reason for changing cables is the Carnivals are over six metres (3-a-side), whereas the former is only 2 metres....

It's my own DAMN fault for tampering - I always knew it would return to bite me hard...

Was also thinking maybe you disturbed something cleaned a connection or something else, funny that there would be such a significant change with just room orientation, not impossible but unusual.

igglebert:You can get superb results from stand mounters, PP. You could always add a sub too, allowing you to tune the sound to the room and also turn it off when not preferred.

Yup, I know - I had a pair of DB1is (with the Arcam) with wonderful results. It's just so frustrating that I can't accommodate the TV and hi-fi firing down the room.

maxflinn:

igglebert:You can get superb results from stand mounters, PP. You could always add a sub too, allowing you to tune the sound to the room and also turn it off when not preferred.i agree, i love my standmounts, and after initially not liking using my sub with them i've started to appreciate the difference the sub can make. it's turned down quite low, less than a quarter of the way on the volume dial, but thats enough to add just the right amount of bass withought dominating.

i reckon i'd have to spend alot of money to get floorstanders that would match or better the quality of sound i'm now getting...

How far are your Dyns placed from the wall?

A

Anonymous

they're about 18in away from it,pp. i can put them much closer if i want with no problems, but then they wouldn't be level with my tv..

maxflinn:they're about 18in away from it,pp. i can put them much closer if i want with no problems, but then they wouldn't be level with my tv..

Interesting: this seems to go against the tenets of most reviews (and personal experience of earlier Dyns), hence why I've always shy'd away from them....

A

Anonymous

i do recall reading that many dynaudio speakers need space, but that's not the case with the dm range, which clare also confirmed on a thread i started a few months back.

i havn't heard many speakers to compare pp but these dm 2/7s are fantastic, i'd demo them anyway when your new speaker hunt continues
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS