Damaged LP`s. Can they harm the stylus?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Can LP`s in not such good condition damage a stylus? I am very proud of my LP collection, started some fifty years ago, and have never let anybody borrow one, or even handle them, they still look, and sound like new. Never been cleaned or treated, why would they be?! My wife has asked if she can listen to her collection. Many look excellent, but others are full of fingerprints and scratches. Planar 2 with Audio Technica vm95sh, both recently bought (new). Many thanks

It will depend on how badly scratched they are. Suggest you buyan Okki Nokki record cleaner as dirt and fingerprints can easily be removed.
If you want to be really careful but a cheap stylus to fit that AT and use that just to play her records thus preserving your SH.

abacus

Playing vinyl without cleaning first is a recipe for disaster, (A carbon fibre brush will clean off any dust and reduce static) if the LP is particularly bad then get it professionally cleaned and place in a new anti-static sleeve. (If an LP is handled correctly it should never get any fingerprints on it)
Bad scratches can damage the stylus but muck and grease will just get stuck to the stylus causing a build-up of grunge that normal stylus cleaning will not remove.
So long as you instruct the person how to handle and clean the LP you should be fine otherwise it’s probably a bit OTT.

Bill

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your replies! I`ll just play the ones that look ok. The Okki Nokki is a bit on the pricey side. As for being OTT, I have seen how many people handle records!!! Two stories to amuse you. My brother, nine years older, sent me with a note to the shop to buy his first ever LP. The note read, `Please could I have a brand new, stereo, unplayed copy of Bob Dylan`s Nashville Skyline!!! And the Comet shop in Hull closed down and had a big sale. I bought loads. The nice lady seller said `you`re the second best customer we`ve ever had, or second worst, depends which way you look at it, one man brought every record back!!´ Thanks again.

By the physical nature of styluses they naturally degrade & slowly wear out the surface of a record every time you play something. But any glitches in the vinyl or the tone arm isn't balance correctly will accentuate the problem. So of course the more severe damage on vinyl only accelerates the problem.

Thanks for your replies! I`ll just play the ones that look ok. The Okki Nokki is a bit on the pricey side. As for being OTT, I have seen how many people handle records!!! Two stories to amuse you. My brother, nine years older, sent me with a note to the shop to buy his first ever LP. The note read, `Please could I have a brand new, stereo, unplayed copy of Bob Dylan`s Nashville Skyline!!! And the Comet shop in Hull closed down and had a big sale. I bought loads. The nice lady seller said `you`re the second best customer we`ve ever had, or second worst, depends which way you look at it, one man brought every record back!!´ Thanks again.
Cheaper to buy a stylus just to play the duff LPs?

TRENDING THREADS