Dali Option 6 Mk2 or Wharfedale Evo 4.4 for vinyl

Kristenhat

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have just signed up here and am looking for advice. I am currently deciding between Dali Opticon 6 Mk2 and Wharfedale Evo 4.4 to listen to my extensive vinyl collection (mostly Metal). My set-up is Technics SL-1500C, Vincent Pho-701 and Marantz PM-7000N. I am looking to replace my current floor-standing speakers (Yamaha NS-777) and am hesitating between the above-mentioned Dalis and Wharfedales. I would be ever so grateful for any and all recommendations and advice based on actual experience. My type of sound is both natural/organic/textured/(insert the right vinyl-y adjective) and detailed without any harsh or sharp highs. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Roger

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Roger, wellcome to the forum. I have a friend using amp like you Marantz 7000N with columns Monitor Audio Bronze 500. This combination is very good, it works in medium sized room. He is listening mainly rock and some metal. Marantz 7000N is not a good friend of big speakers. I think both Dali Opticons 6mk2 and Wharfedale evo 4.4 will require more control from the amp. Amp like Rega Elex or Elicit or new Arcam Radia A25, Marantz 40N etc. will be better match. But Monitor Audio Bronze 500 is very good match. They are highly sensitive, 8 ohm, easy to drive with very good and fast bass and their sound is well balanced. BR.

I'd be interested to hear how you came up with the speakers mentioned and whether you can actually get to audition them or any speakers.
These are the last thing you want to buy based purely on other peoples suggestions as what may work for them may not work well in your particular listening room.
Also you may get more replies if this thread was moved to the main Hifi section of the forum although a Moderator would have to do this.

Kristenhat

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello Integralista,
and thank you so much for taking the time to respond in detail. :) Regarding my Marantz PM-700N amp, it's been known to work well with the Dali Oberon 5 speakers, and a guy that I know and who works in a specialized shop actually recommended the Dali Opticons 6 mk2 and Wharfedale evo 4.4 as great options based on the components in my system. The problem for me is to decide/find out which of the two would sound better for me, based on my taste and sound preferences... Hence the problem...

Kind regards,
Roger

Kristenhat

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello AI Ears,
thank you for responding. As mentioned above in my second comment, a guy in a specialized shop suggested these two specific speakers, along with a couple of others I have decided were not what I was looking for (either visually or sound-wise); which leaves me with the above-mentioned two options. The room I have my system in is "padded" with furniture, etc., and is about 25 m2 large.

Kristenhat

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
AI ears, I would need to travel about 300 kilometers to audition them, and I have some doubts about being able to manage that. That's actually the main reason I have opened this thread.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hello Integralista,
and thank you so much for taking the time to respond in detail. :) Regarding my Marantz PM-700N amp, it's been known to work well with the Dali Oberon 5 speakers, and a guy that I know and who works in a specialized shop actually recommended the Dali Opticons 6 mk2 and Wharfedale evo 4.4 as great options based on the components in my system. The problem for me is to decide/find out which of the two would sound better for me, based on my taste and sound preferences... Hence the problem...

Kind regards,
Roger
Hi Roger, travel 300 km to audition some good system is not so much. Esp. when you select speakers for some years to come. You need to hear them on your amp yourselves. This is the best we can recommend. Your Marantx has warmer sound, more on romantic side with weaker current cappabilities (control of speakers). Such amp need care to make a good system that will sing. This I tried to explain. Also Triangle Borea 08 or Antal will be better match for your amp and your music. We say in SK measure twice and cut once. BR.

Kristenhat

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Integralista, you're Slovak? Where do you normally buy your Hifi stuff in Slovakia? You're right, 300 km is not so much, so perhaps I should try to go there. The problem is that i have lots of duties and it isn't going to be easy. (You say "Dvakrát meraj a raz strihaj." ;) )

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Integralista, you're Slovak? Where do you normally buy your Hifi stuff in Slovakia? You're right, 300 km is not so much, so perhaps I should try to go there. The problem is that i have lots of duties and it isn't going to be easy. (You say "Dvakrát meraj a raz strihaj." ;) )
😂yes, you are right. These days, there is very good offer of new equipment in Slovakia. Some 20-30 years ago it was more difficult. As for me, I like to search for a second hand stuff, e.g. my last Amp Audia Flight Two, I have travelled to Hungary to see him and hear him and I use this amp some 10 years😉. Speakers are not so easy. Better to take your amp + speaker cables (also important) and make a trip to hear it with your potential speakers and music you like to listen. How good is your Vincent phono preamp?

Kristenhat

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
Wow, you were even willing to go to Hungary to hear it yourself? That's awesome :) Well, if I do travel those 300 km, I will definitely take my amp and preamp with me, to hear the real sound I am going to get. Regarding my Vincent preamp, I find it to be very good. Surprisingly so, since I had no idea that it could sound so great. Again, it was the guy at that specialized shop that recommended it to me, because I was looking for something tube-ish. And boy, was he right! It was truly an excellent recommendation. And that's why I take his pointers seriously. :)

Reactions: Integralista
Hello AI Ears,
thank you for responding. As mentioned above in my second comment, a guy in a specialized shop suggested these two specific speakers, along with a couple of others I have decided were not what I was looking for (either visually or sound-wise); which leaves me with the above-mentioned two options. The room I have my system in is "padded" with furniture, etc., and is about 25 m2 large.
I guess the guy in the shop can recommend whatever he happens to stock but whether or not they will work well in your room he cannot say regardless of what other equipment you may use.
I cannot tell you which is the better of the two, and neither can anyone else in my opinion, so I guess you will have to decide based only on looks and price and, if they don't work well, return them or sell them on.

Kristenhat

Jun 4, 2024
Visit site
AI ears, I'm afraid not. The best I can do is travel the distance to their showroom and experience the sound as close to my own as possible. It's not ideal, but it's something. It would be the same amp and preamp, basically. And my own vinyls, of course.

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,
I have just signed up here and am looking for advice. I am currently deciding between Dali Opticon 6 Mk2 and Wharfedale Evo 4.4 to listen to my extensive vinyl collection (mostly Metal). My set-up is Technics SL-1500C, Vincent Pho-701 and Marantz PM-7000N. I am looking to replace my current floor-standing speakers (Yamaha NS-777) and am hesitating between the above-mentioned Dalis and Wharfedales. I would be ever so grateful for any and all recommendations and advice based on actual experience. My type of sound is both natural/organic/textured/(insert the right vinyl-y adjective) and detailed without any harsh or sharp highs. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Roger
OK apologies in advance for going “off topic“ and throwing a third name into the mix. I have the Technics SL1500 paired with an oldie but goldie Marantz 7200 and Focal Aria 906 as speakers. Really happy with the combo. The Focal are pretty natural, clear highs but not bright and no harshness, good texture and soundscape and decent bass. I know they are not normally considered “rocky” speakers but as someone who listens mostly to post-punk/alternative rock with some metal thrown in, I am pretty happy with them.

P.s. I had demoed the Dali Opticon 2 alongside the Aria and I liked them - a touch warmer. I chose the Focal also as initially they were against a wall, so needed front ported.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts