Dali Opticon 8 ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys some better news.

It looks like there is no issue with the speaker or amp. I think its due to the fact everything was plugged into a tacima mains block and maybe that was causing some interference.

I moved things about and reduced the hum by quite a bit, only a slight noise now, ever so slightly more than the right channel.

I moved the left speaker to the right channel and no hum.

I think it could be just the signal coming out of the mains on the left side of the room, becuase the right side is pretty silent.

there is a subwoofer on the left hand side near the speaker too dont know if that would cause anything? also i have a netwrok adaptor plugged into the wall on the left side also.

I think also i need to make sure everything is plugged directly into the wall rather than a mains block and also use decent mains cables? Im using various ones at the moment of differing quality.

finally the interconnects from my preamp to amps are not the best so i could maybe invest in some decent ones to keep the signal clean.

Im just happy i dont have to send the speakers back yet again!

krish123 said:

It looks like there is no issue with the speaker or amp. I think its due to the fact everything was plugged into a tacima mains block and maybe that was causing some interference.

I moved things about and reduced the hum by quite a bit, only a slight noise now, ever so slightly more than the right channel.

I think it could be just the signal coming out of the mains on the left side of the room, becuase the right side is pretty silent.

there is a subwoofer on the left hand side near the speaker too dont know if that would cause anything? also i have a netwrok adaptor plugged into the wall on the left side also.

I think also i need to make sure everything is plugged directly into the wall rather than a mains block and also use decent mains cables? Im using various ones at the moment of differing quality.

finally the interconnects from my preamp to amps are not the best so i could maybe invest in some decent ones to keep the signal clean.

I bet you are. For what it's worth I think general feeling is power amps that draw that much current are best not attached to any blocks like the Tacima. I have mine directly to a wall socket. It may be that plugging your preamp into it may show some benefit. Standard mains cables correctly fused should be utilised with the power amps in particular. Most speaker cables are adequately shielded.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:

glad it's a bit better now like I said I looked up your mono blocks and looked at the on line manual And is talks about hum in the manual so it will be cable related that's making the hum sound . How far is the sub from your mono blocks ? And are your mono blocks sitting on the floor ? I plug my amp into the main mains and the CD player into a surge protector block also I found that Because I had my router next to my Hifi I found that if the routers mains cable touched my speaker cable I would get distortion from that speaker but virgin media never give me a long cable so I have to put my router on the floor . Anyway you will have to do some cable sorting keep the mains cable away from your speakers and I am a bit worried that the sub might be doing something too but what I would do is just have the basic setup with just speakers , mono blocks , cd play take all mains blocks out if you can unplug the sub anything that might cause an issue and see if you still get the hum and then add the sub to see if the hum comes back and then add something else into the chain so you can find out what's doing it . Are you using Phono leads or XLR leads ? But I would of thought how much you spent on your mono blocks you would have some good leads connected anyway . Just rule stuff out and till you find out what's making the hum

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
krish123 said:

glad it's a bit better now like I said I looked up your mono blocks and looked at the on line manual And is talks about hum in the manual so it will be cable related that's making the hum sound . How far is the sub from your mono blocks ? And are your mono blocks sitting on the floor ? I plug my amp into the main mains and the CD player into a surge protector block also I found that Because I had my router next to my Hifi I found that if the routers mains cable touched my speaker cable I would get distortion from that speaker but virgin media never give me a long cable so I have to put my router on the floor . Anyway you will have to do some cable sorting keep the mains cable away from your speakers and I am a bit worried that the sub might be doing something too but what I would do is just have the basic setup with just speakers , mono blocks , cd play take all mains blocks out if you can unplug the sub anything that might cause an issue and see if you still get the hum and then add the sub to see if the hum comes back and then add something else into the chain so you can find out what's doing it . Are you using Phono leads or XLR leads ? But I would of thought how much you spent on your mono blocks you would have some good leads connected anyway . Just rule stuff out and till you find out what's making the hum

Hi bud,

subwoofer is about 1 metre away from the monobloc and less than half a metre away from left speaker but i removed the sub yesterday to eliminate that being the issue, im going to play about with things more tonight as i have more time.

I did notice the sub picks interference though sometimes you can hear it, i connect my sub to my left monobloc amp using high level connection so with speaker cables.

I do notice interference on the left channel as i say becuase yesterday i plugged in my phone to play music and the left channel you could here the interference from the phone.

What i may do is have the monblocs and subwoofer directly plugged into the wall sockets and then the streamer and preamp into the Tacima mains plug.

the Monoblocs are sitting on the floor yes, because of thier height i cannot fit it into my rack.

i may upload photos tonight if i can do that on here?

and i am using RCA interconnects, the ones between streamer and preamp is Van Den hul cant remember the model but they are very decent ones, but as i say the ones from preamp to monoblocs are not great i had them included when i bought my streamer.

Does anyone know of any decent mains cables 2m that wont break the bank? I would rather go with a niche company that sells at resonable price as some companies charge loads for this!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
krish123 said:

Hi bud,

subwoofer is about 1 metre away from the monobloc and less than half a metre away from left speaker but i removed the sub yesterday to eliminate that being the issue, im going to play about with things more tonight as i have more time.

I did notice the sub picks interference though sometimes you can hear it, i connect my sub to my left monobloc amp using high level connection so with speaker cables.

I do notice interference on the left channel as i say becuase yesterday i plugged in my phone to play music and the left channel you could here the interference from the phone.

What i may do is have the monblocs and subwoofer directly plugged into the wall sockets and then the streamer and preamp into the Tacima mains plug.

the Monoblocs are sitting on the floor yes, because of thier height i cannot fit it into my rack.

i may upload photos tonight if i can do that on here?

and i am using RCA interconnects, the ones between streamer and preamp is Van Den hul cant remember the model but they are very decent ones, but as i say the ones from preamp to monoblocs are not great i had them included when i bought my streamer.

Does anyone know of any decent mains cables 2m that wont break the bank? I would rather go with a niche company that sells at resonable price as some companies charge loads for this!
yes you can put pictures on here but i have never been sure how to do this . the RCA cables are good what you have there is no point in spending loads of money on cables i just use atles speaker cable its about £12.50 a meter and RCAs i only spend a max of £120 atles RCAs but now i am using some made up XLR balanced cables which more good for the job . i do not use niche market mains cables i just use normal mains cables they do the job fine *drinks*

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
ok iv sorted the hum issue now, no hum from left speaker now so good news.

i may have mentioned in this thread that im trying to sort out the room acoustics of my room now.

Over the weekend i put up canvas pictures with egg crate foam at the first reflection points, need more frames to do the second reflection points and the back wall too. Im hoping this will help the sound.

I think there is some app on iphone to measure the frequency response of your room, does anyone know what its called?

I can then see what is happening in my room and treat accordingly.

I may even use bass traps and the front two corners of the room.

Any tips on this sort of stuff?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:

i may have mentioned in this thread that im trying to sort out the room acoustics of my room now.

Over the weekend i put up canvas pictures with egg crate foam at the first reflection points, need more frames to do the second reflection points and the back wall too. Im hoping this will help the sound.

I think there is some app on iphone to measure the frequency response of your room, does anyone know what its called?

what was making the speaker hum then ?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
krish123 said:

what was making the speaker hum then ?

Must of been the mains Block, moved it to the other side of the room and plugged the monobloc directly into the wall on the left side and now no issue,

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I love the Dali opticon 8s to bits

yes very good low down bass but not over the top and the treble is also very good well detailed

the mids are good too . The distance from back wall I think I got mine out about a foot and a half but not sure without measuring it .

But these speakers need a good strong amplifier like my Yamaha but the sound is very clear great soundstage and very smooth sound . I just think they are amazing speaker both the opticon 6s and the 8s Dali have done a great job with this they are worth every penny I will never get rid of them .

i find with the Dali opticon 6s & 8s in order to get the very best out of them you need a great amplifier to push the quality out of them I found that the Yamaha kind of give me that push on the quality . As I tried 3 different amplifiers before getting the combination right in a sonic way with the opticons you need that big power supply in a amplifier to give you that best bass control as the 8s are big speakers and big bass drivers . Everything I play on these speakers amazes me just a joy to own . I did upgrade my speaker cables to audio quest solid core cables I find that give a bit more of a stronger sound a more fuller sound .

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your views on the Opticon 8's. I'll add them to my wish list! Did you consider the Denon PMA amps like the 2020AE or 2500NE as well as the Yamaha ones? My Dali's sound pretty good with my old Denon amp.

tuannguyetxm

Oct 12, 2022
Visit site
I love the Dali opticon 8s to bits

yes very good low down bass but not over the top and the treble is also very good well detailed

the mids are good too . The distance from back wall I think I got mine out about a foot and a half but not sure without measuring it .

But these speakers need a good strong amplifier like my Yamaha but the sound is very clear great soundstage and very smooth sound . I just think they are amazing speaker both the opticon 6s and the 8s Dali have done a great job with this they are worth every penny I will never get rid of them .

i find with the Dali opticon 6s & 8s in order to get the very best out of them you need a great amplifier to push the quality out of them I found that the Yamaha kind of give me that push on the quality . As I tried 3 different amplifiers before getting the combination right in a sonic way with the opticons you need that big power supply in a amplifier to give you that best bass control as the 8s are big speakers and big bass drivers . Everything I play on these speakers amazes me just a joy to own . I did upgrade my speaker cables to audio quest solid core cables I find that give a bit more of a stronger sound a more fuller sound .
Hi bro ! which model Yamaha amplifier you use with Opticon 8 ? i use Yamaha A-S1200, but the bass not good

I recall BS uses a better model Yamaha now, and will probably be along shortly to tell you how the Opticon 8 has better bass than his newer Rubicon 8. Maybe it’s a Dali thing?

What have you heard that you prefer?
Hi bro ! which model Yamaha amplifier you use with Opticon 8 ? i use Yamaha A-S1200, but the bass not good
This thread is five years old and don't know if the OP is still a member.
Please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts