Dali Opticon 8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:
Hi,

has anyone heard the above speakers? if so what was your thoughts on them?

Im thinking of replacing my monitor audio RS6 for them.
i have the dali opticon 6s they are an amazing floor standing speaker the opticon's are very detailed speaker they go low down on the bass and very clear sound too they are a fast pace speaker and will keep up with any kind of music the opticon 6s are the model below the opticon 8s you just get 1 more bass driver the 8s are £2000 the opticon 6s are £1100 but you need to get a demo on the 6s and the 8s well worth the money the opticon range has only been out 6 month's or so

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
not sure exactly how big the room is but its a double garage conversion , so quite spacious. Currently i dont get the sense of scale and ease of filling the room witht he RS6's and iv always found them on the bright side of things.

My amps are musical fidelity 550K and A5 preamp with a marantz NA-S11 streamer, so goof quality gear to match up with these.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't give specific advice about the Dalis, but would suggest that you line up the best contenders around that price eg. Proac, PMC, Kef, ATC, Focal and B&W (as well as MA).

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Also what sound charateristcs do you think these Dalis have, are they on the bright side of things or more warm sounding and refined?

Im not after bright speakers you see and would of thought the soft dome wouldnt result in a bright sounding speaker.

Iv heard these speakers have a very spacious airy aound which is what im after, i just dont want a bright sounding speaker at all, the RS6's i have now can be a bit bright at times.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
krish123 said:
Im not after bright speakers you see and would of thought the soft dome wouldnt result in a bright sounding speaker.
Then I would put Kef R Series, Spendor and Diapason near the top of your list.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:
Also what sound charateristcs do you think these Dalis have, are they on the bright side of things or more warm sounding and refined?

Iv heard these speakers have a very spacious airy aound which is what im after, i just dont want a bright sounding speaker at all, the RS6's i have now can be a bit bright at times.
they are not bright for me i would say warm and refined but your got to demo to find out if your spending big money like that there is someone on here who has them too and he loves them like i do

Lukam01

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
When I went for demo I thought I will buy Silver 8 but after few minutes with Dali speakers I new that I found the sound I was looking for.I suspect a lot of people will be walking out with Dalis after personal audition.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Lukam01 said:
When I went for demo I thought I will buy Silver 8 but after few minutes with Dali speakers I new that I found the sound I was looking for.I suspect a lot of people will be walking out with Dalis after personal audition.
i looked at a lot of speakers before i got the dali opticon 6s they were a wild card speaker the sales man thought i would like to try as soon as they made a sound i was out the shop with them and that was that a very nise speaker but as i say they have not been out long and what hifi has not tested them yet but put them with the right amp and your on to a winner

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Lukam01 said:
i looked at a lot of speakers before i got the dali opticon 6s they were a wild card speaker the sales man thought i would like to try as soon as they made a sound i was out the shop with them and that was that a very nise speaker but as i say they have not been out long and what hifi has not tested them yet but put them with the right amp and your on to a winner

What finish are your 6's in? im thinking of going for the walnut and then gloss black face. I cant really tell what the walnut finish is like, could you upload pics of yours?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Lukam01 said:

What finish are your 6's in? im thinking of going for the walnut and then gloss black face. I cant really tell what the walnut finish is like, could you upload pics of yours?
hi I am not the best person to ask about uploading pictures on this site as I am not sure how to do it but yes mine are in walnut with black gloss bottoms . Do you come from the uk if so look at the richer sounds site as they will show the finish on the speakers or look on the Dali web site

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

no there is none around me that had them in so had to take a punt, dnagerous i know but iv heard good things about the speakers, surely i cant go to wrong with them?

Ah is that how long it takes? i was hoping to get them sometime next week!

How you getting on with your 6's? any weaknesses if any ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:
Hi,

no there is none around me that had them in so had to take a punt, dnagerous i know but iv heard good things about the speakers, surely i cant go to wrong with them?

i like the 6s i think they are are very good speakers but i did demo them first i ended up buying the demo pair for £75 cheaper as they were ex demo but the shop only had them for 3 days as a demo pair so they were not run in much and the sales staff liked them too and wanted a pair for them self's as they were that good and i did not want to wait for a pair to come from dali so glad i got the demo pair but glad i got them as they were a good choice . weaknesses i can not find any so far but i would not use sliver speaker cables with them as i thought i would try some that i had laying around and found it made them sound a little bright on the treble so cooper cable works best i thought with this but also comes down to what amp you are using with this speakers too but i have run 2 makes of amps on this speakers so far marantz pm8005 - abrahamsen 2up both work well with this speakers but as you know you have spent a lot of money on something that you have not had a demo on but sure you will like them ones they are run-in are you from the uk ? and did you get any money off the 8s as they are £2000 in the uk and what amp are you using with the 8s ?

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
krish123 said:
Hi,

i like the 6s i think they are are very good speakers but i did demo them first i ended up buying the demo pair for £75 cheaper as they were ex demo but the shop only had them for 3 days as a demo pair so they were not run in much and the sales staff liked them too and wanted a pair for them self's as they were that good and i did not want to wait for a pair to come from dali so glad i got the demo pair but glad i got them as they were a good choice . weaknesses i can not find any so far but i would not use sliver speaker cables with them as i thought i would try some that i had laying around and found it made them sound a little bright on the treble so cooper cable works best i thought with this but also comes down to what amp you are using with this speakers too but i have run 2 makes of amps on this speakers so far marantz pm8005 - abrahamsen 2up both work well with this speakers but as you know you have spent a lot of money on something that you have not had a demo on but sure you will like them ones they are run-in are you from the uk ? and did you get any money off the 8s as they are £2000 in the uk and what amp are you using with the 8s ?

Yes i wont be using silver speaker cable used it before and makes speakers sound very bright, well did with my monitor audios.

I also need to sort the room out acoustically and am planning on using acoustic egg foam and place them behind canvas drawings at the reflection points on the side walls and rear, i think this will help quite alot as the room is pretty bare atm.

i will use the speakers with musical fidelity 550K power amps and a5 preamp and my music streamer is marantzz NA-S11 so very decent equipment to match them. the marantz streamer is brilliant i have to say.

I got a very decent trade in to buy these speakers, i got £750 for RS6 fronts, RS-LCr centre and RS-FX rears. So i paid £1249 and got delivery included in this price.

How much room do you give beind you speakers and side walls? i think mine will need some room behind, my ones currently have 24CM behind them, do you think these will need more than that?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
krish123 said:
Hi,

Yes i wont be using silver speaker cable used it before and makes speakers sound very bright, well did with my monitor audios.

I also need to sort the room out acoustically and am planning on using acoustic egg foam and place them behind canvas drawings at the reflection points on the side walls and rear, i think this will help quite alot as the room is pretty bare atm.

i will use the speakers with musical fidelity 550K power amps and a5 preamp and my music streamer is marantzz NA-S11 so very decent equipment to match them. the marantz streamer is brilliant i have to say.

I got a very decent trade in to buy these speakers, i got £750 for RS6 fronts, RS-LCr centre and RS-FX rears. So i paid £1249 and got delivery included in this price.

How much room do you give beind you speakers and side walls? i think mine will need some room behind, my ones currently have 24CM behind them, do you think these will need more than that?
24cm i would say is ok more if you got the room but mine are round the same 24cm i would try to keep them away from the side walls you will not know how they will act untill you get them but mine are not fussy where i have put mine but when you do get them give them time to run -in before saying anything on here but look forward in what you think of them they are a great speaker .

lukam30

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Dali recommends minimum of 20 cm gap from the rear wall(Dali Rubicon series)Opticon series is probably the same.I have Dali Rubicon 6 and my speakers are 35cm from rear wall.To achieve the best results you will have to experiment with the position.One more thing Dali speakers should not be angled towards listening position.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
lukam30 said:
Dali recommends minimum of 20 cm gap from the rear wall(Dali Rubicon series)Opticon series is probably the same.I have Dali Rubicon 6 and my speakers are 35cm from rear wall.To achieve the best results you will have to experiment with the position.One more thing Dali speakers should not be angled towards listening position.

On Dali's website it says a min of 30cm for the 8's, how about the side walls will 1m be enough?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
krish123 said:
lukam30 said:

On Dali's website it says a min of 30cm for the 8's, how about the side walls will 1m be enough?
you can download the manual of the dali site 1m form the side walls i would of thought to be fine but like i say i have mine around 24cm from back wall with no issues with boom but then the 8s are little bigger speaker then the 6s are

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts