DALI Ikon 6 + Rotel RA-1520 + Rega P3-24 + what CD player? Would it work together?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hiya,

I am in the process of setting up my first audio system, and I want a CD/turntable/integrated amp/floorstanding speakers combo.

A possible combination that I have drawn up (based on reviews, forum feedback & auditioning the components individually) - BUT i am unable to audition the whole system together at once - is as in the thread title:

DALI Ikon 6 (speakers) + Rotel RA-1520 (integrated amp) + Rega P3-24 (turntable)

Two questions:

1) what CD player would you recommend to be used with this setup? Creek Evo2 / Naim CD5-i / Rega Apollo or something else? Should be around 500 pounds mark. Wary of Rega as might struggle for space for the top-loading mechanism, however if it's the best...

2) would the 3 components work well together?

I listen to progressive metal/rock, classical, jazz/fusion, so need a tight/clean sound with controlled and defined bass, clear and warm mids and crisp/sparkly treble. DALI's seem to do this well (hope they won't be too 'cold' though!), Rotel amp seems to get very good reviews for neutrality & it's spec seems excellent and P3-24 seems to be the best turntable for the money... I'd like something that opens up the sound and allows to enjoy the sound, without forcing it too much on you (hence I didn't like the Roksan Kandy...)

Thanks guys!

Roman

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Have you demo'd the Dali's with the Rotel amp?

I think with the Dali's; youll either love them or hate them.

As for the amp it gets very good reviews but I know that there could be better matching speakers out there (IMO B&W 684's, 683's or the CM7's, Monitor Audio RX6's or the RX8's)

As for the CDP I agree that the Rega Apollo would be a good choice but if you've no room for the loading then it's no good. The NAD C545BEE CDP would be worth demoing as well. You could also consider a decent 2nd hand Arcam DiVA CD192 if you can find one
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Dan has given you some good advice there. Ive both players he mentioned, and if you can get the arcam cheaply, or about the same cost as the apollo, then go for that, as it was £900 when new. Otherwise the apollo is definately a fine choice.

Should really audition otherwise you could end up with lip-smacking, corker of a system, or an absolute stinker. As dan rightly said, Rotel and B&W are usually great partners.

Regards the CDP it'll be determined somewhat by the choice of speakers - and your room acoustics...
emotion-1.gif

Possible players:

The old Rotel 10 series

Arcam

Exposure (either 2010 or 3010)

Cyrus 6

I've not heard the Rega CDPs but they are highly thought of on this forum.

Good luck, pp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts