DACMagic vs Primare

John Duncan

Finally got the stereo back this morning, and obv the first thing I did was plug in the DACMagic (Airport Express will have to wait until I find my Toslink cable). Easy to compare it to the DAC in the D20, since the audio and digital outs work at the same time. Chord cabling to both, though the CD player benefitted from the Chorus, the DAC from Cobra2.

The result of switching between the two? Exactly the same. Exactly. Couldn't tell the difference.

A

Anonymous

Interesting. Do you have an alternative transport you can try the DM with to do an A/B comparison with the Primare? I understand that the Primare transport is very decent.

matthewpiano

JohnDuncan:Finally got the stereo back this morning, and obv the first thing I did was plug in the DACMagic (Airport Express will have to wait until I find my Toslink cable). Easy to compare it to the DAC in the D20, since the audio and digital outs work at the same time. Chord cabling to both, though the CD player benefitted from the Chorus, the DAC from Cobra2.

The result of switching between the two? Exactly the same. Exactly. Couldn't tell the difference.

I'm not surprised to be honest. I see the DAC Magic and Beresford as great products for re-invigorating older or cheaper CD players etc. but not for improving on good quality, well-matched mid-range kit.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm a little confused (could be the over-enjoyment of Tesco wine offers yesterday) - because i'm reading JD's post to mean his PC+DACmagic sounds the same as the Primare CD player?
emotion-42.gif

John Duncan

Well it turned out that my 70 quid Pioneer DVD player isn't actually that bad as a CD player - it held a tune ok but lost a bit of nuance - nice warmth to it and but all a bit on one plane, and vocals a bit smoothed off. Adding the DACMagic improved 'space' - the imaging became less two-dimensional, especially back-to-front, and timing got quite a bit better, with bass becoming a lot more tidy in particular, whilst treble just got a little more airy.

Now, if I could only find my toslink cable I could actually try it with what I bought it for...

A

Anonymous

Dare I ask how the Pioneer transport + DM compares to the Primare?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:No, The DACMagic sounds as good as the DAC in the Primare.

The airport express is yet to come, as is an inferior disc spinner.

I can sense another improvement too then. That's good to hear John that the £200 DM can sound as good as a £700ish (not sure how much the Primare cost) cd player.

A

Anonymous

Woah there tiger! So far, it seems that a £200 standalone DAC can sound as good as the DAC in the Primare. Not so surprising I'd have said.

John Duncan

Yeah to be fair all I've proved so far (to myself, as opposed to any scientists watching) is that it doesn't have a detrimental effect on a good cd player, and it improves a DVD player. Without two copies of a disc it'll be tricky to do an ABX on the whole lot (and my attractive assistant is already bored with the whole shebang). But the airport express is where the action's at, if I can find a toslink cable in maplins today (since the boxes from storage have all been marked "kids' toys" so far) then there'll be further bulletins...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah to be fair all I've proved so far (to myself, as opposed to any scientists watching) is that it doesn't have a detrimental effect on a good cd player, and it improves a DVD player. Without two copies of a disc it'll be tricky to do an ABX on the whole lot (and my attractive assistant is already bored with the whole shebang). But the airport express is where the action's at, if I can find a toslink cable in maplins today (since the boxes from storage have all been marked "kids' toys" so far) then there'll be further bulletins...

JD, what amp and speakers do you have? And how much was the D20 in it's heyday?

timwileman

Mar 19, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Yeah to be fair all I've proved so far (to myself, as opposed to any scientists watching) is that it doesn't have a detrimental effect on a good cd player, and it improves a DVD player. Without two copies of a disc it'll be tricky to do an ABX on the whole lot (and my attractive assistant is already bored with the whole shebang). But the airport express is where the action's at, if I can find a toslink cable in maplins today (since the boxes from storage have all been marked "kids' toys" so far) then there'll be further bulletins...

JD, what amp and speakers do you have? And how much was the D20 in it's heyday?

free......ugly knobs you see...

(just kidding JD :)

John Duncan

Primare A20 Mk2, the speakers are AVI Neutron Vs (the DB1s are at a mate's house).

And the Primare was 7/800 quid i think, same sort of level as the CD21. Course, for Primare that means a 4/500 quid player plus a couple of hundred for the box.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Right, there's a toslink cable in my bag and I have the place to myself tonight...

Good luck with the Airport Express ;0>

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have not yet seen you compare between iTunes lossless CD ripped files (on your iMac) via DacMagic vs Primare. (Preferably connected directly to the iMac with optical cable and without the AE involved.)

THAT is the one that may allow you to sell the CD player.

John Duncan

chebby:I have not yet seen you compare between iTunes lossless CD ripped files (on your iMac) via DacMagic vs Primare. (Preferably connected directly to the iMac with optical cable and without the AE involved.)

THAT is the one that may allow you to sell the CD player.

Well I didn't have a toslink cable until an hour ago, so no. But that's what will happen tonight - certainly via Airport Express (proven by somebody somewhere to be bit-perfect rendition of original files), possibly (if I can be bothered) direct from iMac (it's in another room so would need to be transported). I could more easily do it from my laptop, which also has optical out, though am not convinced you get an unadulterated optical signal from Windows.

A

Anonymous

Well enjoy!

I was planning to have another go tonight but I had a late one last night
emotion-20.gif
don't think I can face it...

TRENDING THREADS