DACMagic RussAndrews power supply available

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know these type of upgrades split opinions, but RussAndrews has now released details of a power supply upgrade for the Cambridge
Audio DacMagic. £99 - see website.

A

Anonymous

Not as bad as the level 2 upgrade of your current DACMagic I have seen on an auction site for just under £200...

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
I've just had the level 2 mod done to my DacMagic and it's actually rather good. Hard to do an A/B comparison though!

I'd love to read a review of the RA power supply.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Pmaninit:They're havin a bubble aren't they? hahaha..... £99!

And of course a 60-day return policy if you're not happy - so what's the problem...?

A

Anonymous

I think the £99 is the problem!

Happily, that'll never be an option for my v-dac, since the manual expressly warns against using any other power supply.

A

Anonymous

I'd happily pay 25 quid but 99 for power supply for a 200 pound unit - jeez!

EDIT: maybe Clearer Audio can come up with something reasonable...

A

Anonymous

I got the latest issue of RA's Connect newsletter thingy this morning and there it was on the front cover. I think it is a bit expensive though. At least, I'll wait before I decide I need it or not. Please someone buy it and report on your findings, pretty please.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
momo72:

I got the latest issue of RA's Connect newsletter thingy this morning and there it was on the front cover. I think it is a bit expensive though. At least, I'll wait before I decide I need it or not. Please someone buy if and report on your findings, pretty please.

Hey...er...listen...i know this is a kerrrrazzzyyyy idea, but did you, by any chance...um...read andrew's last post...?

Um...you know...jus' sayin'...

idc

This is probably not ideal for the DACmagicians out there, but the PSU also fits Music Fidelity kit, so on Monday I will put in an order, BUT, I could really do with a longer cable than the 1 metre supplied, so the order will depend on RA being able to supply the longer cable. On the website it is pre-orders only with limited supplies to go out in the second week in April.

The nearest rival I can see to this product is the Little Pinky from Rock Grotto (assuming since the RA supply is for the DACmagic, but also works with MF, then the reverse applies with the Little Pinky). It is £90 and that does not appear to include a power cable for the PSU. The cheapest other PSU I can find for both is £15 delivered, so there is a £85 difference to account for. But at least with RA you can return products.

As a by the way only, there is a specific warning on the DACmagic not to use any other PSU. There is no equivalent warning on MF that I have seen.

A

Anonymous

idc:
This is probably not ideal for the DACmagicians out there, but the PSU also fits Music Fidelity kit, so on Monday I will put in an order, BUT, I could really do with a longer cable than the 1 metre supplied, so the order will depend on RA being able to supply the longer cable. On the website it is pre-orders only with limited supplies to go out in the second week in April.

The nearest rival I can see to this product is the Little Pinky from Rock Grotto (assuming since the RA supply is for the DACmagic, but also works with MF, then the reverse applies with the Little Pinky). It is £90 and that does not appear to include a power cable for the PSU. The cheapest other PSU I can find for both is £15 delivered, so there is a £85 difference to account for. But at least with RA you can return products.

As a by the way only, there is a specific warning on the DACmagic not to use any other PSU. There is no equivalent warning on MF that I have seen.

On the vdac instructions there most certainly is. That's why I mentioned it. To be exact, it says "Power Supply Note:
Only use approved Musical Fidelity DC power supply. The use of other adaptors or supplies could seriously damage the V-DAC.
This Hi-fi product has been tested to ensure that its operation is not adversely affected by normal background levels of Radio Frequency Interference (R.F.I.), and that it does not itself generate excessive amounts of interference. However, if a problem persists, please contact your Musical Fidelity agent." The link is here.

More to the point, I can't understand why people want to waste so much money. What would you gain? As the manual says, and I quoted, it's been tested to see whether it's affected by RFI, and whether it generates any. I'm sure Cambridge Audio have done the same with the Dacmagic.

A

Anonymous

Worth noting that the Dacmagic runs on 12VAC and the MF V series is 12VDC. They are NOT interchangable with the MF V series. (not sure about othe MF kit though)

idc

Tarquinh:idc:

On the vdac instructions there most certainly is. That's why I mentioned it. To be exact, it says "Power Supply Note:
Only use approved Musical Fidelity DC power supply. The use of other adaptors or supplies could seriously damage the V-DAC.
This Hi-fi product has been tested to ensure that its operation is not adversely affected by normal background levels of Radio Frequency Interference (R.F.I.), and that it does not itself generate excessive amounts of interference. However, if a problem persists, please contact your Musical Fidelity agent." The link is here.

More to the point, I can't understand why people want to waste so much money. What would you gain? As the manual says, and I quoted, it's been tested to see whether it's affected by RFI, and whether it generates any. I'm sure Cambridge Audio have done the same with the Dacmagic.

Hi Tarquinh, I tried to use my words carefully when I said the MF kit 'I have seen' and I probably should have added that that is older kit, such as my XcanV2. The PSU with my amp is made in China and has a MF stuck on metallic plaque. It feels cheap, the connection into the back of the amp wobbles and it gets very hot even with short plays at not that high a volume. I think that an upgraded PSU will make a small difference overall, it will not be the great leap that RA make it out to be, but still enough for me to try. That small difference is probably why the likes of Cambridge etc use cheap PSUs, they want to built to a specific price point for those products and the PSU is a way to keep costs down.

TRENDING THREADS