DacMagic mod or a new Dac?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After 12 month break… the itch to tweak is back!

I am supsecting DacMagic may be the weakest link, especially in the clarity of treble/high-mids and openness. Considering the new Arcam rDac or a mod to the DacMagic by these guys:

http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/

Has anyone done Level 1 - 4 mods (with or without Burson op-amps)? The upgrades are not cheap (£155- £365) - so I am wondering if they are a decent value for money or I am better of buying a different Dac altogether?

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
An upgrade could possibly make it sound better but if you don't completely like the sound of it now i think you still won't with an upgrade.

I suggest to try to get a demo on an other DAC.

A

Anonymous

I can't say I don't like the DM... I have enjoyed the sound for the last 1.5 years. It's just that I think it could benefit from an upgrade...

Pete321 - i understand you had Burson op-amps and other upgrades to your DM - your thoughts?

A

Anonymous

chainrock:

I can't say I don't like the DM... I have enjoyed the sound for the last 1.5 years. It's just that I think it could benefit from an upgrade...

If you've enjoyed it for 1.5.years what has made your opinion change.........sounds like you have been more than happy with it.

A

Anonymous

Yes valid question, and no not a WHF victim.
emotion-1.gif
In fact had not been reading the forums for almost 12months.

Back then I spent a lot of £££ on speakers/amp so wallet would not allow for a more expensive DAC/upgrades to DM.and earlier this year bought a TV and blu-ray player. Now the HiFi budget has finally built up a bit - thus the idea!

A

Anonymous

chainrock:

Yes valid question, and no not a WHF victim.
emotion-1.gif
In fact had not been reading the forums for almost 12months.

Back then I spent a lot of £££ on speakers/amp so wallet would not allow for a more expensive DAC/upgrades to DM.and earlier this year bought a TV and blu-ray player. Now the HiFi budget has finally built up a bit - thus the idea!

Looking at your kit biog ........ you already have a cracking step.......i'd love the Spendor 6's.......I guess there is always room for minor improvements with this kind of setup......

I don't know how much an upgrade on a DAC Magic is ............but it's also some very nice bottles of wine to enjoy with your music..........and a fat cigar....
emotion-55.gif

A

Anonymous

calling a.g. or pete321... any feedback on your mods?

given limited feedback here (and limited info I have read on other forums) I may be waiting for a proper head-to-head comparison by WHF of DacMagic, rDac and others... To be honest, rDac's wireless feature is very tempting!

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I initially had a Level 1 upgrade + Bursons. The Burson's take ages to burn in, but you immediately gain an improvement in the midrange, which could sound a little frail before. The high end is just as detailed, but with a little more finesse, the whole sound spectrum is taken to another level with more depth,. By the time I decided to get some extra work in the form of the Level 4, the Burson's were well and truly burned in. The improvements were more subtle and not the same jump as the initial work. The opamps certainly make the biggest improvements in sound, I'd say go for a Level 1 or 2 + Burson's. I can't say I've done any head-to-head testing, but I suspect you'll get more for your money with an upgrade. The initial upgrade I had has probably resulted in the one of the most cost effective sound per pound upgrades. The original DM is great value, but I bought it always planning to use it as a shell to upgrade. When you consider that most DAC's use the well respected LM4562 opamps at £5 each, the Burson's at £90 gives you an idea of difference.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Pete. That helps!

Audiocom offer upgrades too, but seem to be slightly different and a bit cheaper. But they don't seem to mention Burson op-amps.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
RCduck7:

I did my level 2 upgrade here...http://www.audiocominternational.com/product_info.php?products_id=48

I'm not sure the opamps have been replaced with this mod, anyone knows?
The opamps were replaced on the low pass filter but not as far as I can see on the more important output. I think a Level 1 or 2 upgrade with AudioUpgrades would give more noticeable improvements as the output opamps are also replaced. Speak to Brent at AudioUpgrades, he's very helpful.
The Burson opamps are expensive compared to the LM4562 variants which are used as upgrades. The LM4562 is a great opamp, very detailed & fast, but can with some systems produce an overly clinical sound. The Burson opamp gives a much bigger, natural sound, whilst keeping all of the detail but never fatiguing to the ear.

A

Anonymous

Thanks RCduck7 and Pete.

Talked to Brent at audioupgrade - he was indeed most helpful. He recommended Level3 rather than Level1+Bursons (cost is about the same). Will give it a bit more thought... but very tempted at this point.

A

Anonymous

Went out and bought the Maplin PSU for 15.99...so far can't make out if it made a difference, but haven't done A&B comparisons.

Also made the decision to wait for Rega's DAC to be released and WHF comparison to come out before I commit to a new dac or the Level 3 upgrade.

I am interested in the USB execution (and wireless feature) of Arcam rDac but MF M1 seems to have the advantage of better power supply. MF1 doesn't seem to have a good USB execution (which is what I am using now) but i may move to some kind of streaming device down the road...

A

Anonymous

Didn't end up doing the mod to the DacMagic...

So to those who have heard the new Rega Dac and Arcam rDac - any of them worthy/logical upgrade to the DacMagic?

I am mostly using Spotify Unlimited these day so no hi-res content involved..

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Chainrock,

You may have noticed on another thread that Trueblue and myself have taken delivery of the new Rega DAC. For me, it was to replace my Dacmagic and the leap in performance cannot be underestimated. I originally tried the MF-1 Dac at £400, whilst this improved my FLAC files I was underwhelmed with it's performance against my Rotel RCD-991 which is why it went back to the dealer. For an extra 50 quid, straight out of the box, the improvement was night and day with both formats. Moorgate Acoustics do a 10 day trial so no risk
emotion-1.gif

Edit - Also if you sign up quickly on their website they have 10% off all their stuff!! (£450) PHEW what a Bargain!!

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Chainrock,

As mitch stated above. I took delivery of one earlier this week. It replaced a very good beresford caiman. Absolutely floored it in all departments. My Saturn now sounds almost as good as the £7k Rega Isis flagship CDP.

Mitch : Got mine for £425 from audio T

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
True Blue:
Chainrock,

As mitch stated above. I took delivery of one earlier this week. It replaced a very good beresford caiman. Absolutely floored it in all departments. My Saturn now sounds almost as good as the £7k Rega Isis flagship CDP.

emotion-9.gif

Would have bought it there myself but I wanted the silver one and they were out of stock......gits
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

ok convinced. How do I get it for 450 or 425 again? I see Audio T have 12.5% off but none in stock.. EDIT: Moorgate Ac have none in stock too.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
chainrock:ok convinced. How do I get it for 450 or 425 again? I see Audio T have 12.5% off but none in stock..

Go into your nearest Audio T, where are you geographically?

They say none in stock on the website but you can order one and they will deliver.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
mitch65:True Blue:

Chainrock,

emotion-9.gif

Would have bought it there myself but I wanted the silver one and they were out of stock......gits
emotion-12.gif

Ordered mine on XMAS eve. Got the first one into the shop, they havent even got a demonstrator yet ha!!

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
True Blue:mitch65:True Blue:

Chainrock,

emotion-9.gif

emotion-12.gif

Ordered mine on XMAS eve. Got the first one into the shop, they havent even got a demonstrator yet ha!!

Must have been too eager me thinks!, ordered mine on New Years Eve
emotion-19.gif
(we obviously have nothing better to do with our time),still.....at least I didn't pay £500
emotion-2.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
True blue may know more about Audio-t and whether they will deliver to you, they do not have branches in London (nearest is Epsom in Surrey, I think). Moorgate Acoustics will do delivery FOC but definitely check with Audio-T first(every little helps)

Edit-Strange, Moorgates website is still showing as having 4 of each in stock!!

A

Anonymous

Talked to both Audio T and Moorgate Ac. Guys at Moorgate were quite helpful.

Audio T could not ship to London, and I can't get to a store..

Moorgate said will ship to London. Its £12 more, but who cares! Order placed!

The reason they show in stock so that online system allows them to sell (otherwise computer takes it off availability...I was told).

TRENDING THREADS