admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
New to this everyone, so excuse ignorance.

What is the best bet for a DAC to use with a B&W Zeppelin and a HP Compaq DC5850.

I only want to spend about £100.00.

From what I can see I only have a standard audio jack plug "out" from the computer.

So what do I need lead wise to connect computer to DAC ?

Mark

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The Zeppelin already has a DAC in it so you don't need another. IMHO the best way to hook up your laptop would be with a Musical Fidelity V-Link (£100). This is a USB-optical adapter. You'll need a USB lead (printer type) and an optical (Toslink) lead - both available on the 'Bay for a few quid.

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying to play music from your laptop to the Zeppelin? As per the above post the best bet would be to purchase a Musical Fidelity V-Link and take a USB connection from the computer to the V-Link then an Optical Toslink cable to the Zeppelin.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Possible alternative for the same price is the Audinst HUD-MX1 which has been creating a bit of a stir on the internet. It includes a headphone amp, optical out as well as dac with analogue outputs, and can even be run off the usb if you it need to. So, it would double up as a very good portable headphones + laptop setup.

http://audinst.com/en/bbs/board.php?bo_table=HUDmx1&wr_id=4

(Edit): Just to clarify the setup scenario:

laptop > usb cable > Audinst HUD-MX1 > phono audio cable > Zeppelin (ie. using Audinst HUD-MX1 as the dac)

or

laptop > usb cable > Audinst HUD-MX1 > optical digital cable > Zeppelin (using Zeppelin's internal dac)

and for private listening

laptop > usb cable >Audinst HUD-MX1 > headphones

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
squirrelva said:
New to this everyone, so excuse ignorance. What is the best bet for a DAC to use with a B&W Zeppelin and a HP Compaq DC5850. I only want to spend about £100.00. From what I can see I only have a standard audio jack plug "out" from the computer. So what do I need lead wise to connect computer to DAC ? Mark

Have you already bought the Zeppelin? If not, spend the extra £100 on a 'Zeppelin Air' and use AirPlay between it and your computer.

Otherwise 'noogle' has the right solution (above) as far as I can tell.

If you are using iTunes - and have a large enough iPod/iPhone - then just sync everything to that and forget cables.

(Zeppelin Air and an iPod Touch 32GB would give the best flexibility but, obviously, costs a little more than your stated budget.)

basshead

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
noogle said:
The Zeppelin already has a DAC in it so you don't need another. IMHO the best way to hook up your laptop would be with a Musical Fidelity V-Link (£100). This is a USB-optical adapter. You'll need a USB lead (printer type) and an optical (Toslink) lead - both available on the 'Bay for a few quid.

or this will do the same job for a £20, cables included. to spend £100 on something that does the same thing but in maybe a prettyer box seems silly to me.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-external-sound-box-34128

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Both will do the job. V-Link is a bit more hi-fi - it is asynchronous so will remove jitter, and also will handle 96/24 hi-rez files.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts