DAC? Streamer? Need help!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I will be moving to a new place soon and would like to add a digitial library to my existing system. I'm absolutely confused by the range of products in use these days, however.

1. I have digital files in FLAC

2. I don't need radio streaming or home networking

3. I will be buying a new computer, but not dedicated solely to audio use

4. I have an integrated amplifier and will have a new set of speakers (Proac D2)

5. Budget-conscious is prefered, but willing to spend more for better sound

What is the best way to go about this? Could you give me some examples of a complete setup designed either for best sound quality or simplicty?

Thanks in advance!

Tim2010

Dec 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm planning to order the Olive One with 2TB HD.

Hope it's a good bet ... :pray:

It seems to be the only affordable alternative for the Squeezebox Touch / Duet.

(DAC: my Marantz KI Pearl Lite SACD-player)

There's a great summary of all the permutations over on the Gramophone website (WHFS&V's sister title).

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/listening-wirelessly

I imagine you could get good results with a USB DAC fed into your hifi (like the Dragonfly at £215), but you might prefer something slicker that you can control from a remote or iDevice (like a Naim NAC-N 172XS at £1650).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Tim2010 said:

How much is that in the UK?

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
That's a very helpful list. Thank you.

So if I wanted the convenience of using an Ipad for browsing/selection, I would have to get a streamer? Can I connect the Ipad to a Mac desktop?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
batonwielder said:
That's a very helpful list. Thank you.

So if I wanted the convenience of using an Ipad for browsing/selection, I would have to get a streamer? Can I connect the Ipad to a Mac desktop?

The Sonos Connect would solve all of your problems. You could try a Roku box, but not sure of the wireless capability, you'd need to check.

If using FLACs, iTunes won't work and you rule out other Apple devices. Personally, if you have other Apple devices such as iPad and Mac, then the best bet might be an Apple Airport Express as long as you have a machine running iTunes, as the AEX is not a media player like the Roku box or Sonos connect, more of a receiver. Also, you would need to convert FLAC to ALAC for the Apple devices/iTunes, but this is easily done with 'XLD'.

I guess a lot depends on where your music is stored.

BigH said:
Tim2010 said:

How much is that in the UK?

They haven't made any yet, but you can send them money and keep your fingers crossed.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/network-players/the-new-olive-one-has-anybody-heard-it

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
[House Rules]

I might be selling my Naim ND5 XS for £1500 which is only 6 months old with tons of warrenty.. They don't come up for sale much as theyre so new.. Amazing bit of kit, read the reviews.. Just a heads up..

batonwielder said:
Can I connect the Ipad to a Mac desktop?

Using your network you can use the free app called Apple Remote. Then you can control iTunes from your iPad.

How you connect iTunes to your hifi is the big question. It ranges from a 3.5mm cable to 2 x RCA jacks into a spare input (the least good sound because it relies on the Mac's DAC), to having a full streaming system. Or, a dedicated system like Sonos. Look for systems that have an app for your iPad (iOS) - most do.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
batonwielder said:
Hello Everyone,

I will be moving to a new place soon and would like to add a digitial library to my existing system. I'm absolutely confused by the range of products in use these days, however.

1. I have digital files in FLAC

2. I don't need radio streaming or home networking

3. I will be buying a new computer, but not dedicated solely to audio use

4. I have an integrated amplifier and will have a new set of speakers (Proac D2)

5. Budget-conscious is prefered, but willing to spend more for better sound

What is the best way to go about this? Could you give me some examples of a complete setup designed either for best sound quality or simplicty?

Thanks in advance!
How close will your computer be to your amplifier?

How about one of these <http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/bitzie-usb-dac-external-soundcard.htm> connected, and powered by USB, to iMac or MacBook Pro, running iTunes, and connected to your amplifier. As others have said, it's very easy to convert FLAC to ALAC (I use Max) and iTunes can be controlled fro iPhone or iPad with the Remote app.

If the computer is a long way from the Hi-Fi you can use Airport Express to bridge the gap.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts