DAC or Network streamer

pGoff

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Looking for some advice on setting up a music system for the lounge

The main source will be spotify and itunes and music stored on a NAS drive. Improved sound from the TV would be a bonus

I have a Pioneer A400 amp (old but sounds fine) + Celestion SL6 speakers + Apple TV

From my investigations so far I was thinking of buying a DAC such the Cambridge DACMAGIC100 and connecting it to the A400 - and feed it from the optical ouptut from the TV which has the Apple TV and NAS drive connected.

.......or would I be better buying a network streamer such as the Pioneer N50A feeding the A400

.......or an AV amp such as the Denon A2300 although I don't intend to have a surround set-up

I don't want to spend too much but will if the sound warrants it

insider9

pGoff said:
Looking for some advice on setting up a music system for the lounge

The main source will be spotify and itunes and music stored on a NAS drive. Improved sound from the TV would be a bonus

I have a Pioneer A400 amp (old but sounds fine)  + Celestion SL6 speakers + Apple TV

From my investigations so far I was thinking of buying a DAC such the Cambridge DACMAGIC100 and connecting it to the A400 - and feed it from the optical ouptut from the TV which has the Apple TV and NAS drive connected.

.......or would I be better buying a network streamer such as the Pioneer N50A feeding the A400

.......or an AV amp such as the Denon A2300 although I don't intend to have a surround set-up

I don't want to spend too much but will if the sound warrants it
Since you mentioned Pioneer I'd recommend Yamaha WXC-50 or even better a WXA-50 as an all in one solution. It should just about cover all you've mentioned and more.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
What about something like an Onkyo TX-L20D - a stereo recever with HDMI for your telly, networking functionality, Spotify, Airplay, Google Cast, Tidal, Bluetooth etc. etc. Being a slimline receiver it will not be as bulky as most home theatre AV receivers.

pGoff

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies - very useful - both are potential options

Has anyone auditioned the Yamaha / Onyko and the Denon A2300 (I've only heard the Yamaha which sounded good in a brief test)

insider9

pGoff said:
Thanks for the replies - very useful - both are potential options

Has anyone auditioned the Yamaha / Onyko and the Denon A2300 (I've only heard the Yamaha which sounded good in a brief test)

I haven't hear the Yamaha WXA-50 but own WXC-50 (streamer preamp) and it's great. It's far superior in terms of ease of use than Pioneer which I briefly considered.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
There is a cheaper option that would do what you want, personally I think its a good one if your wifi is good.

Buy an audio Chromecast, download an app called BubbleUpnp, you are pretty much sorted for 20 quid.

If you still feel you need a dac, have a look at some SMSL options on amazon. I have the M3 model and its the best 50 pounds I have ever spent on hifi. There are a few more options of better specced ones also. The m3 will also allow an android phone plug in directly and bypass the phone/tablet sound card as long as the device supports otg and is android 5 or newer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts