DAC on my MAC

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all,

now I have finally joined the HiFi seperates owners club I am looking at running my Mac Book Pro Alu via a DAC to my Marantz PM6003.

I have read the review in this months mag on the HRT Music Streamer II but how does this compare to the Chord Gem, Cambridge Audio DacMagic and the Beresford Caimen.

Should I look for a second hand Seperates DAC? I quite like the sound of the Cairn Breeze 192 but it's finding it second hand.

Does anyone have any ideas to suite my setup (See Below) I would live USB but I can use TosLink to optical if it gives me the best quality.

Cheers :D

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The most important thing is the bitrate of your files, no point getting an offboard DAC and playing MP3s. With your kit I would imagine the DACMagic was perfect.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would love to try the Chordette Gem but they have chosen to market it to people who only need USB and Bluetooth.

I use Optical and USB for different sources and wish there were a variant of the Gem for those who don't need/want the Bluetooth.

Look out next month (maybe) for the new £300 Arcam DAC arriving in the shops.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:The most important thing is the bitrate of your files, no point getting an offboard DAC and playing MP3s.

There is 'life' outside the lossless file you know.

Spotify, internet radio (thousands of stations), BBC iPlayer, iTunes, Freeview radio & sound from DVDs direct from the optical digital output to your DAC, PS3s, hooking up an iPod transport like the Onkyo NS-D1 to the DAC etc etc.

Don't let 'bitrate snobbery' get in the way of a multitude of new choices for listening. Even BBC iPlayer sound is remarkably good (AAC) despite being compressed.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the input guys.

Well I have spent every evening after my 11 hour shifts ripping my CD's to Apple Lossless. I have done over a 100 CD's in 3 evenings. not bad going if you ask me.

I do have Spotify, Last FM, Deezer, We7 and all of the usual internet radio/tv. Which I am happy to listen to in it's lower bit rate as it sounds like radio.

But for my ripped CD's I want the best. I know I just bought a CD Player, but sometime I just want a Genius Playlist while I am busy round the house. CD's are for sitting down and reading mags/books and just listening.

I will keep an eye out for the new Arcam next month chebby. Thanks JoelSim, I had my eye on the Cambridge audio as it allows more inputs.

I absolutely agree about the Chordette Gem, The only model with Optical/Coaxial is about £2500 :( Over kill for my £1000 Hifi and £1500 Laptop.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
chebby:
JoelSim:The most important thing is the bitrate of your files, no point getting an offboard DAC and playing MP3s.

There is 'life' outside the lossless file you know.

Spotify, internet radio (thousands of stations), BBC iPlayer, iTunes, Freeview radio & sound from DVDs direct from the optical digital output to your DAC, PS3s, hooking up an iPod transport like the Onkyo NS-D1 to the DAC etc etc.

Don't let 'bitrate snobbery' get in the way of a multitude of new choices for listening. Even BBC iPlayer sound is remarkably good (AAC) despite being compressed.

I use Spotify Premium Chebby, but the OP's question was about sound quality. And if you honestly think the SQ on that vs CD is comparable then you need to check your ears. Why so argumentative?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Peter Crosby:
Thanks for the input guys.

Well I have spent every evening after my 11 hour shifts ripping my CD's to Apple Lossless. I have done over a 100 CD's in 3 evenings. not bad going if you ask me.

I do have Spotify, Last FM, Deezer, We7 and all of the usual internet radio/tv. Which I am happy to listen to in it's lower bit rate as it sounds like radio.

But for my ripped CD's I want the best. I know I just bought a CD Player, but sometime I just want a Genius Playlist while I am busy round the house. CD's are for sitting down and reading mags/books and just listening.

I will keep an eye out for the new Arcam next month chebby. Thanks JoelSim, I had my eye on the Cambridge audio as it allows more inputs.

I absolutely agree about the Chordette Gem, The only model with Optical/Coaxial is about £2500 :( Over kill for my £1000 Hifi and £1500 Laptop.

I'd wait for the Arcam Peter, but then I like Arcam's house sound.

A

Anonymous

There's also a new audiolab due out at some point, designed by the guy who did the Peachtree Audio Dacs, which are rather good.

John Duncan

chebby:
JoelSim:Why so argumentative?

Because I disagree with you.

I think you'll find you don't.

300px-Argument_Clinic.png

A

Anonymous

You could always step it up a gear and try the Lehmann Black Cube Linear USB Headphone Amp , OK the price is a bit steep but belivee me once you have heard them you won't believe it.

A

Anonymous

Or how about a completely different approach - you may regret tying your macbook to your stereo - an alternative could be something like slimdevices (now logitech) squeezebox or transporter - you can run their server software on your macbook and link wirelessly (assuming you have a wi fi router) to the device.

I have 3 squeezeboxes of varying ages running from a pc and playing high quality apple lossless files in various locations around the house (works with other lossless file formats as well.)

Just a thought.

Andy

TRENDING THREADS