DAC Connections

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Does anyone have an idea of the best way to connect my laptop to a beresford DAC listening to Spotify...I have 2 choices

1. Stream spotify wirelessly to a PS3 using Jam Cast and use optical out

2. Connect Laptop straight to DAC with USB

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Wireless will be the best choice for a laptop. Metal wire (USB or coax) should be avoided between computer and hi-fi, as it might introduce electrical noise.

I don't know how the PS3 solution will work -- but an Apple AirPort Express is an inexpensive and bullit-proof solution, provided you sort out any RF interference issues related to wi-fi.

idc

USB is absolutely fine as a connection between DAC and laptop.

Fahsen, have you got anything to link to to explain your reasoning why USB is such a 'poor' connection? If there was such an issue, why have so many DAC manufacturers either brought out USB only DACs, or added a USB connection to existing DACs? I have my eye on the Wavelength Proton DAC, which is powered by USB and has no mains connection. Internal rechargeable batteries help with the power supply. It has been very well reviewed. I also use a USB only DAC at present. It gets its power from a sepearate PSU. There is no issue with electrical noise.

A

Anonymous

idc:Fahsen, have you got anything to link to to explain your reasoning why USB is such a 'poor' connection?

There's countless web fora discussing noise problems with computers and hi-fi.

If there was such an issue, why have so many DAC manufacturers either brought out USB only DACs, or added a USB connection to existing DACs?

Because there's far more computers with USB ports, than with optical outputs.

A

Anonymous

I realised there was only one way to find out so went and bought additional lead, it sounds louder and clearer with more detail through USB, although I do relaise if my PC had optical out that would probably sound better, suppose I should have done this origianlly and not wasted both your time, cheers tho.

idc

It is not a waste of time at all. The issue of which connection to use is a common one and for which there is no set answer. Certainly there is no DAC manufacturer (Fahnsen, please correct me if I am wrong) who does not use USB because of an 'electronic noise' issue. As I exampled above there are some very highly rated DACs that are USB powered. Not just Wavelength, but also by Firestone and another US manufacturer whose name I forget, but their DAC looks like a Toblerone box.

This issue may be discussed on forums, I shall start to have a look, but I take the DAC makers lead on this issue. There is no problem with using USB to connect to a PC. All that is needed is an isolation circuit to keep unwanted noise out by separating the ground of the PC isolated from the hifi. I wonder if the noise amny refer to is a problem with ground loop and that can be cured after a £5 spend at Amazon on a ground loop isolator.

idc

Fahnsen:

idc:Fahsen, have you got anything to link to to explain your reasoning why USB is such a 'poor' connection?

There's countless web fora discussing noise problems with computers and hi-fi.

I have had a right good trawl through various forums and the answer to noise is the same as has been discussed on this forum. It is caused by ground loop problems. The issue is not with USB, though USB connections will fall foul of ground loop as as you say it is an electrical connection.

A

Anonymous

A USB to DAC connections takes out all the hassle having to worry about Soundcard sample rate conversion and driver manipulation of the sound being outputted by the PC.

Too many people assume the digital out (either coax or optical) of the pc will give them a nice clean digital output - it should do, but only if the soundcard passes the sound "bit perfect" and the drivers have been well written to accomodate them.

Without going into too much detail (do some research),if you can adjust the SPDIF output volume on the PC, then stick to USB.

Take the Xonar (D2/Essence) range of cards which are excellent PC sound cards with superb Burr Brown DACs ideal for PCM multi-channel output. But pass any 2 channel audio via the SPDIF out and things are very different because as yet the cards have no "bit perfect" drivers and are "almost lossless" according to the Xonar website which is a far worse than any 'electronic noise' issue that may or may not exist via USB.

A

Anonymous

This USB vs optical debate is never ending, it depends completely on the devices your connecting together.

In this case though the OP would be passing the signal from spotify via jamcast to his PS3 which I can assure you will sound pretty bad compared to the alternative (compared to most alternatives actually). As you've said, USB to your DAC is the best bet here.

TRENDING THREADS