DAB radio freezing system out on Denon hifi

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi.

Could anyone help me here please. My Denon Dra-F107dab has started freezing up when i leave it too long on the tuner mode. I can always tell, when the scrolling text STOPS. I can't use the buttons or remote to switch off or use any other function. Am having to pull the plug out! Has anyone had similar problems? Is there a quick fix for this? It is under warranty anyway!

Mr Morph

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, what is tuner mode? Are we talking DAB or RDS when this happens?:

My Denon TU1800DAB has done that a few times on DAB (rarely!). But switching to a station on another multiplex usually proves that it's the multiplex that is at fault, and not the tuner. However, if it's a constant problem it will have to be sorted.

I don't know about your model, but I remember reading something in the 1800 manual about resetting the internal microprocessor. So have a deep look in your manual? Sorry, but don't have my one with me at present.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Jonathan, are you using a DAB/FM roof aerial for the best reception?

Mind you, the entire unit 'freezing' and preventing other sources/functions being selected does suggest something that requires further attention than just improved reception, so I would suggest contacting your dealer and/or Denon.

The only time (recently) when I had anything similar happening (amp locking out except for manual operation of volume control) was a clash with the remote control of a loan TV when our usual TV was off for repair. The loan TV appeared to want to 'control' my amp until I found something called "AnyNet+" on it and disabled it. Maybe something similar is going on between your TV and your Denon.

Has this problem just started? If so, have you just bought a new TV? (Or anything else with a remote control that might be using the same codes as your Denon?)

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Mmm.. I think maybe you're right!

I do have a Denon Hifi in my bedroom and the remote is exactly the same that could be the problem. it would make sense and has been used on it. That model is the DM38DAB. I'm also using an internal aerial which came off my dead wharfedale surround system.

I don't think the problem will occur again and will only use the one remote.. I will look for a way of resetting each system so this doesn't happen again.

A

Anonymous

Same problem here. My new Denon F107DAB receiver freezes after maybe 30-60mins of DAB use. By 'freeze' I mean I can't change volume, select a different source, turn to standby, etc either by using the remote control or the buttons on the Denon itself. The radio is still playing, but it's in a kind of radio-coma.

The only way I can turn it off is by pulling the power plug from the wall. Which gives a pleasant pop from the speakers.

In the two weeks I've had the unit this has happened three times.

I don't get any problems with the FM radio or any other source. Similar to the original poster I do have an old Denon DM31 but it's unplugged, has a dodgy volume control & has been living under the bed for months. I'm using a roof aerial.

Strange :eek:(

A

Anonymous

I have same problem, purchased Denon DRA-F107 in December, it constantly locks up when using DAB. This is not any fault with the remote control its a fault/problem with the unit (and/or reception of DAB). The only way to regain front button functionality is remove power from socket and plug back in.

I have spoken to the shop I purchased from and they state its a problem with the transmission of the DAB and it apparently changed recently (I don't exactly know what changed).

They suggested I re-initialised the system (back to factory defaults) and then return DAB stations manually. They thought this may fix it, but it has not. So they have advised I speak to Denon, which I will do on Monday.

A

Anonymous

I've had the same problem of the unit freezing after being left on for an hour or so. I had a replacement unit provided by the shop that I purchased from which also froze. I then took it to a service agent who downloaded and appiled the most recent software patches to it. It now doesn;t freeze but it is not picking up a signal all the time and keep sdropping out or getting a "no service" message so no reception at all. We didn't experience this problem in the previous two months of owning this unit and the first one we had so I;m suspicious that the software upgrade has caused some new problems.

A

Anonymous

Mine is exactly the same. Freezing when in DAB mode (though I only ever use it in this mode). It's been like this since I got it around six months ago. I only ever use the remote so the problem will only become apparent when I try to change channel/volume, etc. As such I can't be sure whether the DAB has frozen because of the remote control use or not. What I can say is that the scrolling text will freeze also when in faulty condition. Nice sound and size from this unit but it astounds me why, after so many years, manufacturers can't bring out a HI-FI quality mini system with a working DAB/software controller. I've owned a few TEACs with similar problems and now this Denon.

A

Anonymous

Me again. I finally sent the unit back to the shop & I guess they updated the firmware.

It's been more than a week since I received it back & the dab tuner works perfectly. No problems at all.

dermanu

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I live in Belgium an have the same problems with my DENON TU 1800. As DAB tuners are rare in Belgium, the importer does not know anyting at all about a new firmware. The guy on the phone did not even know what DAB meant!

TRENDING THREADS