D/A converters

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently purchased a Denon TU-1800DAB tuner and PMA-500AE amplifier only to find that the tuner needs to be connected to an amplifier with a built in D/A converter so as to reproduce DAB signals. Unfortunately the PMA- 500AE seemingly does not have such. Any solution/s to this problem? Perhaps to nobody's surprise I have contacted Denon directly only to recieve no reply!

Rockerben.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Rockerben:
I recently purchased a Denon TU-1800DAB tuner and PMA-500AE amplifier only to find that the tuner needs to be connected to an amplifier with a built in D/A converter so as to reproduce DAB signals. Unfortunately the PMA- 500AE seemingly does not have such. Any solution/s to this problem? Perhaps to nobody's surprise I have contacted Denon directly only to recieve no reply!

Rockerben.

I think you have this wrong. According to the specs it has a High Quality D/A convertor featuring 192kHz/24bit DACs.
Looking at the rear it has normal RCA analogue outs, so why do you think you need an amp with a DAC?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Not somebody else!

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/97178.aspx

How odd.

I wonder why Denon didnt reply...

Rockerben, you aren't confusing the 'Digital' in DAB with the 'digital' in Digital output?

The DAB is digital radio, it comes into your Denon, and gets converted by a DAC to an analogue output, which you can output by stereo RCA analogue connection.
The Digital output is for if you have a superior DAC, either standalone, or in an upmarket stereo or AV amp....this then bypasses the Denons own DAC, and lets the external one do the work.

Your setup should work just fine with analogue out from the tuner, to the Denon amp.

A

Anonymous

To frOg I say thankyou very much for 'sensible' reply. Denon did later reply with an answer similar to your own, though not so comprehensive!

To John Duncan, I would suggest that you remain in your own evidently peculiar world and do not invade others.

Rockerben.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Rockerben:

To John Duncan, I would suggest that you remain in your own evidently peculiar world and do not invade others.

Rockerben.

emotion-40.gif

since when JD ever known to invade others??

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Rockerben:
To frOg I say thankyou very much for 'sensible' reply. Denon did later reply with an answer similar to your own, though not so comprehensive!

Rockerben.

Reading this thread and the one that John mentioned (yes, the other one that you asked the same question and John answered the same answer as above), it sounds like you may have done too much rocking, Ben.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Rockerben:

Rockerben.

Reading this thread and the one that John mentioned (yes, the other one that you asked the same question and John answered the same answer as above), it sounds like you may have done too much rocking, Ben.

To be fair. I think sometimes we(the regulars on the forum) assume too much technical knoweledge of those with genuine questions...

I think a little less taking the 9iss, and a little more thought can be fruitful occaisionally...and yes, I am guilty of the same thing...as are The Management

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:Which is why I gave a straightforward reply to the original question, I thought..........

You thought, and now Prof has disappeared! see what you've done.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts