Cyrus- Two 8 Power in Mono Mode or Two Mono-Xs?

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
hi there, am thinking of an upgrade to the cyrus. I already have PreV2/8Power/ CD8X+PSXR, and am driving Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus with them. Love the current setup, sounds great. however --question is:

Should i buy an additional 8Power and run the two 8 Powers in mono-mode OR consider 2 MonoX monoblocks OR do away with cyrus amplification and look for different mono-blocks to drive the sonus fabers? 2x tube monoblocks perhaps? I'd have a budget of about US$ 3-4K for this upgrade at MOST.

A

Anonymous

Hi. Do you like the cyrus sound, if so, why not upgrade? I have two 8 powers, in mono, driving b&w cm9s, and it sounds nice. Heard the same set-up with x powers and it was better. So i guess the mono's would be even better. Big difference in price for your upgrades, an 8 power here is £500 and two mono's would set you back £2500. If you have the cash spare, i would consider the mono's.

A

Anonymous

Hi. I have PreVS2 + PSR-X and XPower with Sonus Faber Grand Piano + Gravis Sub (Chord Epic speaker cable, Chord Camaleon / Cyrus interconnects). I am going to try this weekend 2 Xpower in mono mode and will let you know what the difference is. Am also going to try adding one PSR-X to the Xpower in stereo mode.

- At what crossover frequency should I set the subwoofer for optimal results?

- What's the best placement you have found for the GP? Have you tried adding a granite base?

A

Anonymous

I've taken the Cyrus Lego route!, I have two 8 Powers in mono with attached PSX-r on each, it sounds awsome the PSX-rs make a real difference to dynamics, bass and presence in this combination. The powers are running Square 2s with a sunfire HRS 10 on bass. It was important to get good mains cables (Clear audio Copper lines) on the PSX-rs though to get the most out of them.

A

Anonymous

Hi - I am new at this... how did you set up your Sub? Which crossover frequency, volume, cables, ...? Is there a way to set a crossover frequency on the Cyrus amp?

Thx

A

Anonymous

Barry Bear:I've taken the Cyrus Lego route!, I have two 8 Powers in mono with attached PSX-r on each, it sounds awsome the PSX-rs make a real difference to dynamics, bass and presence in this combination. The powers are running Square 2s with a sunfire HRS 10 on bass. It was important to get good mains cables (Clear audio Copper lines) on the PSX-rs though to get the most out of them.

Sounds good to me!

A

Anonymous

The sub is connected to the Left and Right pre chain outs on the mono'ed 8 powers via QED Reference subwoofer cable. All crossovers/Phase/volume for the bass is done on the active subwoofer.

A

Anonymous

OK... tried the 2 X Power in mono mode, it's a significant improvement vs my current set-up (preVS2 + prsX + 1 X Power + SF Piano). It feels CD's have 20% more details, the system has more authority and balance, highly recommended!

yasirk

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
hey V1,

Seems like we have a similar setup--i have the GP's setup about 1.5 ft from the wall and 7 ft apart with the toe-in. Its not an ideal setup as the bass tends to bloat a little but that is what the room allows for now.

Haven't had a chance to audition the mono's yet, still enjoying the Powe-8. FYI, adding a PS Juice Bar II and shielded audio cable to the power amp added significant clarity and dynamics. I guess its all about shoveling money into components to better the sound. :)

Btw, has anyone tried vincent audio monoblocks with cyrus kit?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts