Cyrus Stream

John Duncan

No he doesn't, IMO. But the way to find out is to find a friendly Cyrus dealer who'll lend you one and compare it to the SBT plugged into your XPd's optical in, and see whether it's worth the money.

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Don't waste your money on Cyrus Stream buy yourself either Squeezebox Touch or sonos much better and flexible option then Cyrus wihtout any compromise on SQ, I am saying this as Cyrus owner.

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the best choice for you would be the Stream X V2. Make sure its the V2 as its the only one to handle 24 bit 192khz files.

You have the XPd QX which is Cyrus's 2nd best DAC. The DAC X is better.

If you use the coax digiital connections you should have the best SQ.

I would recomend saving the difference between the Stream X and the Stream XP and use it to fund an upgrade to a DAC XP sometime in the future. Mind you there are some good deals around at the moment for ex-demp DAC XP's

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The sound quality difference from the integrated top the pre/power is massive in my opinion.. I'd agree with others get the New stream xp2 qx or whatever it's called.. I already had pre/power and although it was very nice sound I LOVED the extra mid/low end punch from the Naim streamer for some of my music.. I liked the Cyrus streamer tho and would be a perfect step for you to go pre/power

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
If you wanted to keep the amp and source sections seperate as i did then try the new stream x2.. I'd also recommend tryin the naim ND5 XS as i was blown away by it.. They are both extremely well made and high sound quality pices of kit for the money. It will just come down to personal taste..

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Lateral thinking, but how about a Mac Mini feeding the XPd? About half the price of the X2, maybe a bit more if you get Pure Music or Amarra on it as well. Or go for a dedicated Windows machine (to save any anti-Apple comments)

I use a dedicated Mac Mini / Pure into an Arcam rDac (and then Ayre AX7e and Harbeth 7/2's). I haven't tried a dedicated streamer so don't know how it would compare sound quality wise. But I do know the front end beats the Meridian 508 that I used to use, which itself was no slouch.

How about WHF do a shootout between dedicated streamers and the PC/Dac option? After all the streamer is essentially a computer with the extraneous bits stripped out; how much of a difference does it really make? I suspect not much, if any at all, but the truth would be in listening. I've suggested this before and had a few people agreeing; are the hi-fi manufacturers confident enough in the superiority of streamers to submit to the test?! And who mentioned advertising revenues (waits for clip round the ear from moderator:roll: )

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I've got a mac mini now and that was my setup.. Optical into xpd qx. There's been endless arguments on here about how can it be different if it's bit perfect etc.. I was stunned by the difference.. I can't tell you what causes it etc pre DAC but the difference is extremly noticable.. For me anyway.. Maybe try a home dem and see what you think.. It certainly would be a cheap/free solution if you already have a computer for the time being if nothing else.. Plus mac mini's are awesome :D

michael hoy

I already have a server with all my music ripped to it, the idea is not to require a computer anywhere near the system, but to stream the music to it.

My Server is in the loft area running headless and I use my PC (office area) to rip the music direct to the server.

The system is in an entirely different room and currently runs wirelessly. I have a very strong wireless setup and do not have any issues with it.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
Lateral thinking, but how about a Mac Mini feeding the XPd? About half the price of the X2, maybe a bit more if you get Pure Music or Amarra on it as well. Or go for a dedicated Windows machine (to save any anti-Apple comments)

I use a dedicated Mac Mini / Pure into an Arcam rDac (and then Ayre AX7e and Harbeth 7/2's). I haven't tried a dedicated streamer so don't know how it would compare sound quality wise. But I do know the front end beats the Meridian 508 that I used to use, which itself was no slouch.

How about WHF do a shootout between dedicated streamers and the PC/Dac option? After all the streamer is essentially a computer with the extraneous bits stripped out; how much of a difference does it really make? I suspect not much, if any at all, but the truth would be in listening. I've suggested this before and had a few people agreeing; are the hi-fi manufacturers confident enough in the superiority of streamers to submit to the test?! And who mentioned advertising revenues (waits for clip round the ear from moderator:roll: )

Yet more lateral thinking.

What about Sonos? May be worth trialling the Cyrus streamer and sonos against each other? I have a Cyrus ans Sonos combination and it's fantastic.

michael hoy

JamesOK said:

What about Sonos? May be worth trialling the Cyrus streamer and sonos against each other? I have a Cyrus ans Sonos combination and it's fantastic.

I already have a Sonos System, it is all in my Sig.

I want to be able to play HiRes music tracks as well as the standard rips, Sonos do not currently support this option.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
For what its worth...

I have a mostly Cyrus system (see sig) and have found a MacMini 2011 (into Wyred-4-sound DAC2) to be a fantastic source for hir-res music.

Use Audirvana Plus which is a software player which integrates withiTunes and replaces the "engine" but uses the iTunes database managment. Simple then to use Apple's Remote app on iPhone / iPad to control. (I also have a RealVNC server running on the MacMini so I can control it from any of the Windows computers in the house via RealVNC client - very straightforward but not absolutely necessary!)

The sound is beautiful.

I have tried just about every software player on both Mac OS and Win 7 (Macmini is dualbooted) including: Amara, Pure music, Fidelia, J River MC, JPLAY.... Although I wanted J River MC to sound the best as it has the best database management, I keep coming back to Audirvana Plus. On my system, sounds the best.

So I can highly recommend this as a solution. The "streamers" are just glorified computers IMHO.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
:bounce:
michael hoy said:
JamesOK said:

I already have a Sonos System, it is all in my Sig.

I want to be able to play HiRes music tracks as well as the standard rips, Sonos do not currently support this option.

Oops sorry. It's quite a big sig!

What about a second hand mac mini?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts