Cyrus set up help PLEEEASE!!!!!!! Two Mono X200, CDXT SE, DAX XP+

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Now finished my room and finally ready to set up my Cyrus system that inc: CDXT SE, DAC XP+, Mono X 200 (x2), PSX-R, B&W PM1 speakers. I thought I try and connect it with the MC-Bus phono leads supplied by Cyrus. After connecting as followed on Cyrums Mono X/DAC manuals which themselves are confusing as they don't show the set-up I have, I eneded up with no sound and the Dac saying it has no cd signal,bno sound, nothing but power !!!!! I did following below - What have I done wrong?????

CDXT SE - Blue phone lead with white and red ends:

White end to MC BUS OUT on CDXT SE, connected to CHAIN(Red) with red-end on Mono X 200(amp1)

MONO X200 (amp1): Yellow phono lead with white and red connector ends:

White connector end connected to MC OUT on MC BUS on Mono X200 (amp1), to CHAIN(Red) with red end connector on Mono X 200(amp2)

MONO X200 (amp2) - Yellow phono cable white and red connector ends:

White end connecter to MC OUT on MC BUS on Mono X200(amp2), to connector to MC BUS IN (white circle) with red end connector on Dac XP+

DAC XP+ - Blue phono lead with white and rec connector ends:

Red connector to MC BUS OUT on DAC XP+ to CDXT SE MC BUS IN using white end connector

Using 1 PM Speaker conected to Mono X200 amp1, with one PM1 speaker connected to Mono X200 amp 2

Generally:

CDXT SE mc-out to AMP1 chain (red) (Blue phono with white & red ends)

AMP1 mc-out(white) to AMP2 chain(red) (Yellow Phono with white & red ends)

Amp2 mc-out(white) to mc-bus in (red end to white input) on DAC XP+ (Yellow Phono with red & white ends)

DAC XP+ mc-bus out (red connector in white input) to CDXT SE m-bus in (white connecor in white input) (Blue Phono with red & white ends)

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hi. I'm not an expert in Cyrus gear so I don't know what those "bus" inputs/outputs do. but I'd connect your gear more conventionally, which is:

CD XT digital out (coaxial) to DAC XP digital in (coaxial), then DAC XP analog out (balanced or phono) to Mono X200 in (again; balanced or phono depending on which output you chose on the CAD XP). and then Mono X200 speaker out into your PM(1)S :grin: . it should work fine this way. 8)

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Have you also plugged in the audio interconnects?

Not sure what you mean by those ? I've only used the leads suppliled that came with the Cyrus units by plugging them inn at the MC in/out unit BUs connections as showed on the Dac/Amp manuals! The CD came with Blue MC-BUS phono leads, the Amp with Yellow phono MC-BUS leads...Just don't get any sound of any sort, Dac says no cd signal, just don't seem right that the red ends go into white inputs when finishing the loop - DAC XP+ has Red phono connector from the MC-BUS input going to the CD XT SE in-input using the Blue lead. The manual diagrams are followed, though not very clear on input diagrams showing which input to put inn ??

Am new to all this so probaly being rather dumb and missing the obvious! but really appreciate everyones help.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
The MC-Bus connectors just link all the units together so that if, for example, you switch the DAC XP+ to CD input, then the CD player will power up. And the Mono X200s will power up/down if you turn the XP+ on/off etc.

You need to connect the units with sound cables too - eg. a digital optical or coaxial from the CDXt to one of the digital inputs on the DAC XP+ ...optical (Input 1 or 2) or coaxial (input 3,4,5 or 6). The you need to either use XLR balanced cables (the three pinned jobbies) to your X200s, or use the pre-out RCA connectors (Preout 1 or Preout 2) to the inputs on your X200s. One cable to each amp.

I assume you have the manuals for them? They are avaliable online on the cyrus website.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
The MC-Bus connectors just link all the units together so that if, for example, you switch the DAC XP+ to CD input, then the CD player will power up. And the Mono X200s will power up/down if you turn the XP+ on/off etc.

You need to connect the units with sound cables too - eg. a digital optical or coaxial from the CDXt to one of the digital inputs on the DAC XP+ ...optical (Input 1 or 2) or coaxial (input 3,4,5 or 6). The you need to either use XLR balanced cables (the three pinned jobbies) to your X200s, or use the pre-out RCA connectors (Preout 1 or Preout 2) to the inputs on your X200s. One cable to each amp.

I assume you have the manuals for them? They are avaliable online on the cyrus website.

Did plug the CD into Input 3 on DAC XP and got Sampling Rate reading on the DAC - no sound though!...I think now I have to get the XLR leads connecting from DAC XP to MONO X200(X2) - is this correct ?

Did buy these Amps as ex-demo from Svenoaks. Should they have been provided or do I have to buy leads seperatly ? If so any recommendations and from where ?

Many inputs at the back of the DAC, not sure what half the input labeling means on the back (plus my eyes aren't the best in dimmed lighting as in the room).

Thanks again

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Your dealer is responsible for making sure you have everything you need, and if they're not going to install them, they should make sure you know how to install them.

I got the Mono'x online - didn't get any XBR 3 Pin cables with them, didn't state in the manual that they shoud have been provided. Any recommendation on a good pair I could pick up ?

A

Anonymous

Ok... read VERY carefully.

It is clear that you are new at this, thats no problem. Read the following three points...

1) The MC-BUS cables you are connecting are not for carrying sound. Here is a simple analogy / explanation of what they are..... imagine in your living room you have a dvd player, a tv, and a satellite tv box. when you want to use that system, you go over and switch each one on individually. when you are finished you switch all three off individually. Imagine if you connected your tv, dvd player and satellite box together and when you turned on the tv, the other two components also switched on automatically. Then when you switch off the tv the other components all turn off.... that is basically what the MCBUS connection does with your cyrus... it just means you dont have to keep going over to your cabinet and switching the mono x200's on and off each time.

2) To get sound, you need to connect your components together using OTHER cables.... these are normally NOT provided and you have to get them IN ADDITION TO your hifi components.

For example, in your case you might connect your cd player to your DAC with a digital coaxial cable. Then you need to connect an analogue XLR cable from your DAC to each of your mono x200s. Finally you need a speaker cable from your mono x to your loudspeakers.

Pay attention also to to the direction of the cables, i.e. some cables have writing going along their length and are directional... meaning it matters which end you plug into each component... again ask your dealer if you are unsure what this means. Directional cables mean, follow the writing from the source (CD) to the speakers... Imagine a river flower into the sea and you are in a canoe and the canoe has some writing on the side.... you want to canoe forwards right? Well, if the spring of the river is the CD player and the loudspeakers are the sea, you want the writing on the cables to always flow towards the sea. Haha, hope that makes sense!

3) It is true that your dealer should have talked you through this, unless he assumed that you know what you are doing. You NEED to get your dealer or another experienced person to help you buy and install the right cables and talk you through this CAREFULLY. Plugging the wrong thing into the wrong hole can conceivably damage your mono x200's to the point where they can be completely screwed. I cannot over emphasise this point.... you need to learn how this works or it could all go FUBAR. Saying that, once you know, it is fairly easy to remember... just make sure you get someone to show you the first time!

For someone who is fairly inexperienced, I have to tell you that you have an incredibly competent system there, the likes of which many of us only dream of (luckily i have mono x200's too!).

One last tip.... if the dealer explains and outfits you with cables but you do not want a home install... bring your camara along, get the dealer to set up a similar system in store and take some photos of the back, then copy it at home.

Do us a favour and let us know how you get on?

cheers,

krlock3

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I would echo the above post!

And Crikey you are extremely lucky to have those hifi components in your living room..... It is something I have been aspiring to for years but bringing up kids has limited me to the set up below which I'm more than happy with.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
krlock3 said:
Ok... read VERY carefully.

It is clear that you are new at this, thats no problem. Read the following three points...

1) The MC-BUS cables you are connecting are not for carrying sound. Here is a simple analogy / explanation of what they are..... imagine in your living room you have a dvd player, a tv, and a satellite tv box. when you want to use that system, you go over and switch each one on individually. when you are finished you switch all three off individually. Imagine if you connected your tv, dvd player and satellite box together and when you turned on the tv, the other two components also switched on automatically. Then when you switch off the tv the other components all turn off.... that is basically what the MCBUS connection does with your cyrus... it just means you dont have to keep going over to your cabinet and switching the mono x200's on and off each time.

2) To get sound, you need to connect your components together using OTHER cables.... these are normally NOT provided and you have to get them IN ADDITION TO your hifi components.

For example, in your case you might connect your cd player to your DAC with a digital coaxial cable. Then you need to connect an analogue XLR cable from your DAC to each of your mono x200s. Finally you need a speaker cable from your mono x to your loudspeakers.

Pay attention also to to the direction of the cables, i.e. some cables have writing going along their length and are directional... meaning it matters which end you plug into each component... again ask your dealer if you are unsure what this means. Directional cables mean, follow the writing from the source (CD) to the speakers... Imagine a river flower into the sea and you are in a canoe and the canoe has some writing on the side.... you want to canoe forwards right? Well, if the spring of the river is the CD player and the loudspeakers are the sea, you want the writing on the cables to always flow towards the sea. Haha, hope that makes sense!

3) It is true that your dealer should have talked you through this, unless he assumed that you know what you are doing. You NEED to get your dealer or another experienced person to help you buy and install the right cables and talk you through this CAREFULLY. Plugging the wrong thing into the wrong hole can conceivably damage your mono x200's to the point where they can be completely screwed. I cannot over emphasise this point.... you need to learn how this works or it could all go FUBAR. Saying that, once you know, it is fairly easy to remember... just make sure you get someone to show you the first time!

For someone who is fairly inexperienced, I have to tell you that you have an incredibly competent system there, the likes of which many of us only dream of (luckily i have mono x200's too!).

One last tip.... if the dealer explains and outfits you with cables but you do not want a home install... bring your camara along, get the dealer to set up a similar system in store and take some photos of the back, then copy it at home.

Do us a favour and let us know how you get on?

cheers,

krlock3

Thankyou and everyone else for the help and explaining. This is all alien to me and now have an idea of what I was NOT doing right (which was everything
wall.gif
)...Did take me a good 5yrs+ and went waaaay!! over my original budget, even though most components are ex-demos, to get to this stage, so I hope I haven't my system in any way! - did only use the Cyrus units phono system leads provided when previouslysetting up and am now looking into cables for the amps and will speak to the retailer where I got the amps for advice. Thanks again.

Hopefully I'll have it working real soon :)

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I would echo the above post!

And Crikey you are extremely lucky to have those hifi components in your living room..... It is something I have been aspiring to for years but bringing up kids has limited me to the set up below which I'm more than happy with.

Thankyou and everyone else for the help and explaining. This is all alien to me and now have an idea of what I was NOT doing right (which was everything :wall: )...Did take me a good 5yrs+ and went waaaay!! over my original budget, even though most components are ex-demos, to get to this stage - so I hope I haven't buggered my system in any waywhen connecting up! though did only use the Cyrus units phono system leads provided when previouslysetting up...Am now looking into cables for the amps and will speak to the retailer where I got the ampsfrom for advice. Thanks again.

Hopefully I'll have it working real soon :p

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes! am feeling a bit :oops: asking these questions as they are probaly very straight forward and simple (for me hi-fi building has not been as quiet straight forward as I thought it would be :doh: ).

Did manage to speak to the dealer I bought the Dac XP+ and Mono Amps from (units bought a different places online); but have to admit I was a bit baffled with all the overload tech-talk. I am on the last stage now on getting the Cyrus system running (I hope) and just need to know the following:

1) Which Ones Are Better: RCA or Balanced XLR cables ? for connecting x2 Mono 200 Amps to the Dac XP+: All units are quiet close to each other so would only need max 0.75m cable length.

2) And good quality cables recommend for connecting the Cyrus DAC to Amps ?

3) Can someone please explain the exact Inputs/Outputs I connect the RCA /XLR in the back on the DAC XP+ , then to the Amps - The Cyrus manual only shows the back of the Pre-Amplifier connections to the Amps, not DACXP+ :?

Thanks again

satycool said:
Can anyone recommened any good XLR cables for Cyrus Dac to Amp- am looking into these and really want to get them asap

Thanks

Hi satycool

I'll suggest that you visit your local Pro audio dealer and also look what XLR cables they have to offer. You should find that the XLR or RCA cables the Pro dealer offer cost little money and ones which should also be more than good enough for your Cyrus components.

Fwiw, some of the electronics and speakers in our AV system currently consist of a Yamaha BD-S1900, Chord Electronics DSP8000, Plinius Odean & JL Audio Fathom f113. BD-S1900 > fibre optic > DSP8000 > XLR - XLR > Odean. DSP8000 > XLR - RCA > Fathom f113. All XLR cables were purchased from our local electrical store and the fibre optic cable from the local market for little money.

All tbe best

Rick @ Musicraft

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
satycool said:
3) Can someone please explain the exact Inputs/Outputs I connect the RCA /XLR in the back on the DAC XP+ , then to the Amps - The Cyrus manual only shows the back of the Pre-Amplifier connections to the Amps, not DACXP+ :?

For RCA (single pin phono interconnect) use one of the pairs of "pre-outs" on the DAC XP+ to connect one cable to each (so two cables in total) of your power amps (to the input below "chain").

For XLR (the three pin cables), use one of the pairs of three-pin balanced outputs on the back of the DAC XP+, one XLR cable to each of the power amps. There is only one place/input on each monoX200 that you can stick it in :)

Hope that helps.

Personally, i'd get a cheap pair of short XLR cables and get yourself up and running with nice sound coming out of the speakers. Then decide if you want to try and see if more expensive XLR cables make any improvement. Not sure they would over a very short connection, although from my live-gigging days using them to connect amps and guitars, some cables are made better than others - it was the connectors (neutrik were good) that made the difference. Try here...

http://www.audiospares.com/home.php?cat=13

Perhaps you can let us know if/when you get this great system up and running (get a local dealer or hifi friend to help) , as I don't think I'm alone in worrying about your safety and potentially damaging expensive kit.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hope you've managed to get everything working? Let us know?

I've just received a replacement new DAC XP+ because my repro purchasing and Cyrus's aftersales repair efforts just didn't work out. 2 DACXP+ units bought (one ex-demo from main dealer, next a repro newly-received by main dealer) - first had old firmware and went back, second had a power fault and went back, which then came back from Cyrus with a fully ticked checklist...and a completely different fault (very low output - shouldn't have to go to 0dB to get sound :cry: ).

In your defence satycool, I've just looked on the CD that comes with the XP+, and Cyrus don't even include the instruction manual for the XP/XP+...just for the integrated amps, the Streamline and the preXpd/QX. The XP+ is a very different beast, especially for newcomers to hifi.

Come on Cyrus, up your game!! This is expensive kit that you're selling.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I now have everything set-up :bounce: , but! have deceided to order some proper interconnectors RCA phonos and XLR(amp to speakers) cables by Chord, hopefully will be here tomorrow...I did give a brief listen though, but didn't really make a real judgement, was kinda of impressed with Dave Monolith 'Welcome' cd esp tracks 7,8, and Aphex Twin's 'On'. Was using the MC-Bus phono leads supplied with the Cyrus units which are probably not the best, but will get back once I had a proper listen when the Chord cables arrive.

Oh! didn't get a DACXP+ cd with my purchase(ex-demo) - Anything interesting know-how on it ?

Thanks again everyone :cheers:

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
satycool said:
Oh! didn't get a DACXP+ cd with my purchase(ex-demo) - Anything interesting know-how on

Good to hear you're up and rockin'. Nothing of any relevance on the CD that came with the XP+. Might be useful as a coaster for my coffee mug though.

A

Anonymous

If any of your components are new, bear in mind that cyrus says on the box that it normally takes weeks if not months for the units to burn in and reach their full potential.

Just take extreme care plugging in whatever you plug in.... you can destroy your amps if you do it wrong you know.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts