Cyrus powering B&W Speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm currently planning an upgrade to my 20 year old system based around an Audiolab 8000A (which has developed a bit of a nasty buzz - any ideas?). I've listened to a Naim based system (NAC122X & NAP150X) powering B&W 685 and CM1s and enjoyed the latter. I'm also considering a Cyrus based system (CD8x & 8VS2) possibly with the B&W Speakers. When I talked about this to the sales guy at the Naim supplier he said that I might have problems with a Cyrus system powering B&W speakers and that B&W say, if you contact them, not to use Cyrus to power their products. What do you think, is their any substance in this?

Interestingly the place I'm going to listen to the Cyrus system partner it with Monitor Audio speakers (RS1 & GS1) and do not stock B&W.

Many thanks,

Robert

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have just bought ex demo Cyrus 8vs and DVD8 (very good with cd's) but haven't yet bought speakers. I too will be trying the B&W 685's, the Epos M12.2's (£450) are highly regarded with Cyrus stuff and possibly Focal 806's (£499). Some of the guys on here have told me to try the Tannoy Eyris 2 floorstander (reduced from £1000 to £499 in Richer sounds) although some Cyrus guys reckon Tannoy and Cyrus aren't great together, too much treble.
There is an un-official Cyrus forum - http://www.rdhworld.co.uk/punbb/index.php - worth a look. I have a thread on there and on here about Cyrus stuff and speakers at the £400 to £500 range.
Let me know how you get on as I won't be able to listen to any for at least a week as I'm doing some major DIY.

A

Anonymous

Hi there - thanks for this - yes I've been reading your threads avidly. As is usual I feel I'm being drawn to ever more expensive speakers (a more realistic proposition cost wise with the Cyrus gear than the Naim) and am going to listen to some MA GS10s (£800 eeeeek) with 8VS and CD8X and dropping the power supply for the moment. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the B&W 685's whereas the B&W CM1 sounded better with a wonderful sound stage - amazing for such small speakers and all for £500. I'll be interested to see what you think of the 685s. I may give them another go with Cyrus gear rather than Naim.

A

Anonymous

Nothing wrong in B&W and Cyrus, also try to hear some Totems if you can plus Dynaudio, and also Revolvers. Also have a look at Sonneteers amplifiers they really are a must listen to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts