Cyrus one caput

Mark J

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
I have has my Cyrus One amp for ever, this is one of the very first units, I recently bought some new Mission speakers, QX2; today amp went dead. All three internal fuses ok, power into unit OK. Just looked on Cyrus web site £300 quid for a service/repair. Do I do this or look for a new amp, and if so what can I get similar performance for similar money, do I stick with the good old stuff, or go new. Hand on heart I think I would like to have unit repaired if possible but could be swayed or common sense prevail.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
There must a hifi repair service near you if you google it. I’m sure they’ll be less than £300. Whether they’re trading at the moment is another matter. How about sourcing a replacement through eBay or other sites?

Gray

I'm hoping that this is your lucky day. No guarantee but here we go:

Unplug the mains connector from the back panel.
Get a fairly wide, flat-blade screwdriver and stick it in that little slot above the 3 pins.
Twist it to open the fuse drawer!!....didn't check that one did you?....I hope.
Some of those drawers have a compartment with a spare fuse in it. Otherwise this could be all you need:
It's a 10p fuse but, from that company, there's a handling charge on web orders below £8 exc VAT.....you should still have a fair bit of change from your 300 quid though (y)

Reactions: insider9

Mark J

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
I'm hoping that this is your lucky day. No guarantee but here we go:

Unplug the mains connector from the back panel.
Get a fairly wide, flat-blade screwdriver and stick it in that little slot above the 3 pins.
Twist it to open the fuse drawer!!....didn't check that one did you?....I hope.
Some of those drawers have a compartment with a spare fuse in it. Otherwise this could be all you need:
It's a 10p fuse but, from that company, there's a handling charge on web orders below £8 exc VAT.....you should still have a fair bit of change from your 300 quid though (y)
See above done them all, one in plug and two on board, all good.

Gray

Shame, as the one in the socket was all it took for a Cyrus 1 owner on another forum to be up and running again.
I can see you're a man of few words in your replies Mark. Fair enough.
We're quite a helpful bunch on here, we don't expect medals. However, something along the lines of 'thank for your help' in any one of your posts would have been nice.
Hard to believe you need to be told that.
Mind you, there are people who need the Government to tell them to wash their hands, so nothing should surprise me.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looks like eBay then as all the hi-fi shops are closed 😷

Mark J

Mar 22, 2020
Visit site
What was it then?
When it initially did not come on 'power light' I disconnected & took it into garage, checked fuses, all three, all good but no power light, no sign of scorching on the board. I then though, what if little 'power on' light was fooked, so took it back inside, connected to speakers, turned it on and boom! music. So the little power light doesn't work but the amp does. I also found the switch was slipping on the control rod inside which would explain when it didn't work & I was on cd, or I thought I was, I was probably on one of the selectors that do nothing.

Gray

Pleased to hear the 'repair' didn't cost you a penny.
Maybe you can live without a power indicator.
If it were a bulb....failure understandable.
If, as is more likely, it's an LED.....failure almost unheard of. Check the PCB for dry joints where its two legs are soldered. Resoldering might be all it needs.
In the unlikely event that the LED itself has failed - and you decide to fit a new one - remember that they're polarised (Connect it the wrong way round and it will be as dark as the fooked one).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts