Cyrus not for everyone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Unsurprisingly as you can see from my sig, I love Cyrus gear. I listen to rock, jazz, indie, punk, psychedelia etc.

My ears are not after what I consider to be artificial-sounding chocolatey warmth with thumping bass; they want detail from high to low (maybe it's the ex-drummer in me). I think that I have fairly good matching speakers but I agree with a previous post that careful cable matching is also important.

I now have a system that I can listen to all day and night at raised and low volumes. Love it!

Currently listening to: Tame Impala - Lonerism

Helmut80

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't get on with their house sound.

Even if I did, they occupy one of the top spots on my 'ugy stuff that I don't ever want to see in my house list' (together with Chord of course).

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I like Cyrus.

LHC - I have Wilmslow Audio speakers. Scanspeak for tweeter and mid range, Volt for LF - excellent bang per buck, would definately do it again.

details here - http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/diy-speakers-bass-extenders

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Crossie - the mono X's are great power amps. With them being superceeded by the 200's and 300's they are a great buy on e-bay ("other web sites are alsp awailable") - SQ VFM

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi Lhc,

My speakers are a slight variation on the Rhapsody. I asked for a slightly slimmer cabinet to save space and chose a cheaper driver combination. I use in each speaker 2 x monacor sph100-c for mid and bass and a monacor DT400 for treble. Happy to tell you about the speakers that are really lovely.

Balderdash

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Interesting- thanks everyone. I have asked the forums about my amp before and have looked at quite a number of replacements including class D and valve. Sometimes my set up really sings, other times it gets fatiguing. I wonder if Cyrus is not to my liking, too revealing/harsh on occasions.

apologies for grammar- ipad to blame.

regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Balderdash said:
Interesting- thanks everyone. I have asked the forums about my amp before and have looked at quite a number of replacements including class D and valve. Sometimes my set up really sings, other times it gets fatiguing. I wonder if Cyrus is not to my liking, too revealing/harsh on occasions.

apologies for grammar- ipad to blame.

regards

For Class D, try Bel Canto / Primare I22 / I32

For Valves, try Pure Sound A30

For Hybrid, try Pathos Classic One Mk111

Triggy

Jan 24, 2005
Visit site
You will see from my signature that I have several Cyrus items!

I love the sound, the detail and controlled bass.

I found that interconnects and especially speaker cables can significantly affect the nature of the sound.

Each to their own, enjoy your music!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts