Cyrus not for everyone?

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I had a brand new pre xpd qx and x-power for around 6 months.. It is very impressive kit and compared to the integrateds a bit step up.. I tried a number of different speakers and just couldn't get the sound I wanted.. Too much top end, not enough bass.. Sounds horrible with rock or heavy music.. It defines the leading edge of noted etc extremely well and cymbal shimmers are displayed impressivly.. But I just found the anylitical presentation made me listen out for things rather than let the music flow.. With my new amp it has as much detail but you can choose to pick it out or just let it flow.. I listen to a lot f hard music that most high end buyers wouldn't ever listen too.. In a way i'm still sad to see it go because it was very impressive with certain music.. But it's music I listen too 5-10% of the time.. It's all down too taste

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
BigColz said:
I had a brand new pre xpd qx and x-power for around 6 months.. It is very impressive kit and compared to the integrateds a bit step up.. I tried a number of different speakers and just couldn't get the sound I wanted.. Too much top end, not enough bass.. Sounds horrible with rock or heavy music.. It defines the leading edge of noted etc extremely well and cymbal shimmers are displayed impressivly.. But I just found the anylitical presentation made me listen out for things rather than let the music flow.. With my new amp it has as much detail but you can choose to pick it out or just let it flow.. I listen to a lot f hard music that most high end buyers wouldn't ever listen too.. In a way i'm still sad to see it go because it was very impressive with certain music.. But it's music I listen too 5-10% of the time.. It's all down too taste

Also I found it has a slightly scooped (somewhere in the) mids so when listening to band music the tom drum sounds like it has no weight and the symbals etc over power it..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Balderdash said:
Have I detected a few members who are not fans of Cyrus products? Any reason why?

Sorry for the thread hijack but I notice you're using Wilmslow Audio speakers, what drivers have you got? I'm trying to choose some from them at the moment and I'd like to get an opinion on them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure there is such a thing as "an amp for everyone".....not at the affordable end, anyway.

What other amps have you tried with which to compare Cyrus, and in what price range?

Have you ever heard a Class A, Hybrid or Valve amp?

A

Anonymous

Even if you found a system that reproduced perfect as it should sound, you may end up not liking it. It's what makes hifi so interesting, the varience in taste

A

Anonymous

I agree, I dont think they can be pushed in any direction with bigger speakers. They offer a detailed and fast sound if this is what you prioritise, but I have a suspision more people favour a smoother more melodic sound ala Arcam for example. Oooooh, have I just stirred it up further?

woollyjoe said:
I agree, I dont think they can be pushed in any direction with bigger speakers. They offer a detailed and fast sound if this is what you prioritise, but I have a suspision more people favour a smoother more melodic sound ala Arcam for example. Oooooh, have I just stirred it up further?

Don't think so.

Since 2004 I can only remember Cyrus getting a 4 star rating on 2 occasions. WHFI love the Cyrus presentation, although I don't see (or hear) the appeal.

A

Anonymous

Both WHF and HiFi Choice have given it their top marks in their 2012 end of year product awards.

http://www.whathifi.com/review/cyrus-6a - best amp below £1000.

HiFi Choice - from memory, it was a few months ago also said it was a 5 star choice amp in the price range.

Though that doesn't mean it's the right amp for everyone and I agree there is no such thing as the perfect amp. All depends on your other kit.

BigColz said:

Hi BigColz

Unfortunately the main cause with this pairing is their pre amp.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I have not heard the Cyrus amps because I read they are very revealing, a warts and all approach which I did not think would suit my old recordings on cd. As for cd I prefer an Arcam amp as I find cd harsher sounding than LPs. Yes they get reviews on WHF, think all the ones listed on here get 5 stars. But get other comments like chuck in the bin.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
BigColz said:

Hi BigColz

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yes I've heard this. I was going to try some different pre amps but I loved the presentation of the Electro in everyway.. The Cyrus is very fast but I needed A LOT more grunt.. So much better for rock and turning up louder with it's darker top end..

:cheers:

BigH said:
I have not heard the Cyrus amps because I read they are very revealing, a warts and all approach which I did not think would suit my old recordings on cd. As for cd I prefer an Arcam amp as I find cd harsher sounding than LPs. Yes they get reviews on WHF, think all the ones listed on here get 5 stars. But get other comments like chuck in the bin.

No, get it right BigH - I said "where's the bin?" However, it was a very tongue-in-cheek comment. :p

TBF, when anyone has asked about Cyrus I've described them as an "instant impact amp", great for short listening periods. If you listen for hours each day Cyrus may not be the ideal choice.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
I did say comment like!

They dig up more detail than any other amp at that price range, so depending on your taste in music and what volume you listen at and what your after you might really like them..

BigColz said:
MUSICRAFT said:
BigColz said:

Hi BigColz

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yes I've heard this. I was going to try some different pre amps but I loved the presentation of the Electro in everyway.. The Cyrus is very fast but I needed A LOT more grunt.. So much better for rock and turning up louder with it's darker top end..

:cheers:

Hi BigColz

Good to hear that you're happier with the Electrompaniet
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have had cyrus equipment of different numbers and specs for a number of years. I have found that there sound does vary by what types of connectors you use.

In my opinion the Cyrus own brand interconnects make the bass very muddy. I have also found that some speaker cables can make the treble very harsh indeed.

Also the top end models are significantly better than their "mid-range" models. It is DEFINITELY worth getting a 2nd hand DAC XP+ rather than a new Pre QX

amro200

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Cyrus make a very good CD players and Power amps, but i believe thier weakness point is thier pre section, unless you go for the top DACXP and Monox of course, however the sound is always very fast and detailed and some people like's it and prefere it for thier type of music,

Am currently exploring other options to change my preamp and auditioning other amps but still now didn't find the suitable sound sigature that fits me. it's still not that easy to better these Cyrus kit for the money and upgradability.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
amro200 said:
Cyrus make a very good CD players and Power amps, but i believe thier weakness point is thier pre section, unless you go for the top DACXP and Monox of course, however the sound is always very fast and detailed and some people like's it and prefere it for thier type of music,

Am currently exploring other options to change my preamp and auditioning other amps but still now didn't find the suitable sound sigature that fits me. it's still not that easy to better these Cyrus kit for the money and upgradability.

If you have't already done so, try Bel Canto.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
I have made a fundamental error regarding cyrus kit only last year, I bought a second hand cd 8se on a whim from flea bay based on reviews here. I really never got on with it, despite a very varied musical spectrum on behalf of my partner and I. In the end I bought an audiolab 8200 cd after having audioned it with my Roksan and b&W CM8's earlier in 2012 and walked away, for reasons I dont even fully understand even now. I even borrowed a display model from Audio T in Portsmouth(Thanks guys, you were right, again!) for a weekend and we both loved it. Madness really, however we are ecstatic with its capabilities, even asa dac for sonos and apple tv input for spotify from my macbook.

So why didnt we like the cyrus? You cant fault the detail, but thats not what I wanted, I wanted a full bodied, rich and enveloping sound, I have that now and its great when you achieve what you want.

Lesson learnt, audition and go with what you feel, not what others think!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
woodster said:

This should have been the 11th Commandment, as it's up there with "read the question" on an exam paper, in terms of its importance / relevance.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
woodster said:

This should have been the 11th Commandment, as it's up there with "read the question" on an exam paper, in terms of its importance / relevance.

I remember not "Reading the question" on a few occasions, however I have only failed one exam my whole life. I have learnt from my mistake in 2012 and as I said, If only I had listened.......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
woodster said:
I remember not "Reading the question" on a few occasions, however I have only failed one exam my whole life. I have learnt from my mistake in 2012 and as I said, If only I had listened.......

I think we've all been there, along with spending too much time on a question that we do know the answer to.

Apologies to the OP for diversion. :oops:

TRENDING THREADS