Cyrus & group tests. . .

After reading the latest group test for CD players, and the dominance Cyrus has over all other makes, would WHFI consider, in the interest of fair play, doing future tests omitting the Cyrus brand? otherwise we know what the outcome is even before we turn a page.

I dislike predicability.
emotion-40.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Would that be in the interest of fair play? Unless new CD players are measured against the best around, how are we to establish where the best value for money lies?

A

Anonymous

totally agree with the second post. Not only that, but WHFSV revies are only opinions- opinions which should be valued, but opinions nonetheless. You will also noice that when they review aa piece of kit highly, they will almost always say(though not in the case of the cyrus), "give this an audtion" Thats the key phrase, they are suggesting you listen, not buy it right away.

On a sinilar vein, I was at a respected dealer a few weeks ago, and we got onto a customer of his who had purchased an entire cyrus system-blind!!!! suffice it to say she hated it. OK, a stupid thing to do i know, but had she listned to it in the first place, she would have discovered that she hated it -unlike WHF;-)

All this magazine are *telling* us, as hifi lovers, is that they like it, and are *suggesting* that we listen to it if they like it

clivej:totally agree with the second post. Not only that, but WHFSV revies are only opinions- opinions which should be valued, but opinions nonetheless. You will also noice that when they review aa piece of kit highly, they will almost always say(though not in the case of the cyrus), "give this an audtion" Thats the key phrase, they are suggesting you listen, not buy it right away. On a sinilar vein, I was at a respected dealer a few weeks ago, and we got onto a customer of his who had purchased an entire cyrus system-blind!!!! suffice it to say she hated it. OK, a stupid thing to do i know, but had she listned to it in the first place, she would have discovered that she hated it -unlike WHF;-) All this magazine are *telling* us, as hifi lovers, is that they like it, and are *suggesting* that we listen to it if they like it

I totally understand where you're coming from - absolutely! Bare in mind that this post is written with tongue-in cheek.
emotion-4.gif

However, it would be nice to see other top brands like Exposure in a sub-grand test being given some air-time [as it were]. Look at the awards for players and it's dominated Cyrus, the only fly in the ointment being the Marantz.

I'm quite a fan of the Cyrus sound. . .sometimes you can have too much of a good thing - even Cyrus.

A

Anonymous

I must admit the WHIFI reviews/best buy and Mike Schmidt (posts on here) swayed me to get my 8SE. I thought why not and if I don't like sell and revert to Arcam. Mike assured me it would not be bright (my biggest fear) with my Monitor Audios, he was indeed correct.

However, the praise is almost universal on plenty of other websites from dealers and other magazines/forums. For me, keep them in the reviews (tongue in cheek or not!) and I hope they remain best buys for a long time!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I agree with much of the feeling behind the posts. I was very dissapointed with the award issue this year for instance which was Cyrus and more Cyrus.

I like a much broader range of coverage and would prefer to have other brands compared like Exposure and Primare as we dont see much of those at all.

Personally i do think WHF overdoes the Cyrus appreciation.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
crusaderlord:I agree with much of the feeling behind the posts. I was very dissapointed with the award issue this year for instance which was Cyrus and more Cyrus.

I like a much broader range of coverage and would prefer to have other brands compared like Exposure and Primare as we dont see much of those at all.

Personally i do think WHF overdoes the Cyrus appreciation.

There are a number of brands that could do with getting reviewed... but that doesn't necessarily mean that Cyrus would get less awards.... Since WHF really thinks Cyrus easily have the best CD players out at the moment, then I think the level of appreciation shown is valid... I could understand someone arguing that Roksan's Kandy has received too much hype (since other review mags don't give it anywhere near the praise it gets here) but Cyrus seems to get very high praise and awards from the other review mags as well...

Messiah

Ajani:
I could understand someone arguing that Roksan's Kandy has received too much hype (since other review mags don't give it anywhere near the praise it gets here)

HFC loved the combination as well......

As for reviewing other products, I believe WHF can really only review what they are sent by the manufactures. If these other brands are not sending their products for review then WHF cannot be held accountable for this nor do they have the budget (I expect) to buy all of these products to review.

Back to the OP - I can understand about the predictability but I guess the competition need to raise their game! (it seems you are starting some hotly debated topics lately PP. Hope this one does not deteriorate and get locked!
emotion-2.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Exactly, imagine making great sounding equipment whatever next.

Next a what hi fi reviewer will be posting it was to see if other manufactures have caught up with them !

Messiah:Maybe Cyrus just make good equipment!!

In the comedy busieness it's a Joey-Joey. That means the obvious jokes, one's you can see coming from a mile off. . .In some ways Cyrus has become the "Joey-Joey" of the hi-fi world (not a joke), but toooooo predictable. As I mentioned before they make really good stuff.

Yawn, I'm bored now.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:Ajani:
I could understand someone arguing that Roksan's Kandy has received too much hype (since other review mags don't give it anywhere near the praise it gets here)

As for reviewing other products, I believe WHF can really only review what they are sent by the manufactures. If these other brands are not sending their products for review then WHF cannot be held accountable for this nor do they have the budget (I expect) to buy all of these products to review.

Back to the OP - I can understand about the predictability but I guess the competition need to raise their game! (it seems you are starting some hotly debated topics lately PP. Hope this one does not deteriorate and get locked!
emotion-2.gif
)

Let me try and clarify: I'm not suggesting that there's something wrong with WHF's choice of products to review... I understand that they rely on brands to actually send them products for review... so if Exposure and Primare aren't getting much attention, that's really not WHF's fault...

I didn't know that HFC reviewed the Roksan... was that after their last awards issue? Cuz it didn't feature in Gold, Silver or Bronze for the 500 - 1K price range... I know HFW reviewed the Roksan and thought it was good (4 stars) but they didn't exactly go crazy over it... I don't for a second doubt that the WHF team really think a lot of the Kandy (it's won a lot of awards here over the years), but I prefer to see a number of mags get excited over a product, before I put it on my 'absolute must audition' list...

Messiah:Ajani:

emotion-2.gif
)

If you read WHFI edition when they came and did a Reader Rescue, I heaped praise on the Cyrus 8VS2. Joe and Chris were brilliant. Myself and the OH had a great morning. So there's no vitriol whatever against WHFI or Cyrus. Maybe Cyrus are too successful.

It's not out of order, just an earnest appraisal.

Messiah

plastic penguin:Messiah:Ajani:

emotion-2.gif
)

If you read WHFI edition when they came and did a Reader Rescue, I heaped praise on the Cyrus 8VS2. Joe and Chris were brilliant. Myself and the OH had a great morning. So there's no vitriol whatever against WHFI or Cyrus. Maybe Cyrus are too successful.

It's not out of order, just an earnest appraisal.

Not sure where you are going with this PP. I never said you slated WHF or Cyrus???

Messiah

Ajani:Messiah:Ajani:

emotion-2.gif
)

Let me try and clarify: I'm not suggesting that there's something wrong with WHF's choice of products to review... I understand that they rely on brands to actually send them products for review... so if Exposure and Primare aren't getting much attention, that's really not WHF's fault...

I didn't know that HFC reviewed the Roksan... was that after their last awards issue? Cuz it didn't feature in Gold, Silver or Bronze for the 500 - 1K price range... I know HFW reviewed the Roksan and thought it was good (4 stars) but they didn't exactly go crazy over it... I don't for a second doubt that the WHF team really think a lot of the Kandy (it's won a lot of awards here over the years), but I prefer to see a number of mags get excited over a product, before I put it on my 'absolute must audition' list...

January edition. 5 stars across the board!

A

Anonymous

Hi fi choice, quote ( Roksan kandy k2 , flawless hi fi just landed) which indicates they think its pretty good.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
nick46:Hi fi choice, quote ( Roksan kandy k2 , flawless hi fi just landed) which indicates they think its pretty good.

5 Stars and that comment from another hifi mag? Ohhh.. I retract my statement about the Kandy possibly being over hyped by WHF and stand corrected...

I think I'll put on my dunce hat and go sit in the corner for a while
emotion-10.gif

T

the record spot

I hope there's enough humble pie to go round tonight...
emotion-2.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
There are so many factors to consider; room acoustics, partnering equipment, taste in music etc etc. WHF have the Cyrus as a favourite, other mags prefer other kit. So many factors.

I don't agree about ManU thoi' although Chelsea changing their manager every 6 months makes it easier for them

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

I dont know why they got rid of A GRANT i thought he was doing a decent job.

A

Anonymous

I bought a basic Cyrus system, largely on the back of WHF rave reviews. I was never happy with the sound, and spent much money "upgrading" it, ending up with a 6-box system of CD8x / PSX-R / Pre-X / PSX-R / 2 x monos.

It still never quite sounded right, and after discovering the advice available on forums and listening to lots of kit that never gets reviewed anywhere, I sold it all and bought obscure second-hand stuff (for less money) which sounded a WHOLE LOT better.

I take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt these days.
emotion-42.gif

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Bin Clankem:
I bought a basic Cyrus system, largely on the back of WHF rave reviews. I was never happy with the sound, and spent much money "upgrading" it, ending up with a 6-box system of CD8x / PSX-R / Pre-X / PSX-R / 2 x monos.

It still never quite sounded right, and after discovering the advice available on forums and listening to lots of kit that never gets reviewed anywhere, I sold it all and bought obscure second-hand stuff (for less money) which sounded a WHOLE LOT better.

I take magazine reviews with a pinch of salt these days.
emotion-42.gif

*Takes off dunce hat and creeps out of the corner*

You are right to take reviews with a pinch of salt... Reviewers look for specific things that may or may not be relevant to you.. for example, WHF seems to focus on All Rounders (which makes sense, since an all rounder is probably the safest bet for most people)... but if you have specialized tastes in music, then you could care less about whether your gear is equally adept at Large Scale Orchestra, Country, Hip Hop and Jazz..... Since you just want the best sounding gear for your type of music... Reviews are a useful guide in finding gear to audition (though obviously if your tastes are too specialized, then you'll have to find more obscure mags that cover the type of gear and music you're interested in)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts