Cyrus Classic Amp

podknocker

Cyrus reviews always make be chuckle. This amp is nearly £2k and is way overpriced, considering the sound quality. A £2k amp should give you sonic ecstasy. The 40 year old, narrow and deep case design makes it tricky to fit into cabinets and still forces Cyrus to use small displays that look like something from a 1990s calculator.

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
This Cyrus integrated amplifier is a compact, well-equipped and upgradeable proposition that prioritises clarity, precision and agility.

Cyrus Classic Amp : Read more
Cyrus’s engineers have done a good job with the digital inputs...

Really? Where is the HDMI eARC? Its what average consumers want FFS. Drop down to 4 star in terms of features, in my view.

Reactions: podknocker

podknocker

Cyrus’s engineers have done a good job with the digital inputs...

Really? Where is the HDMI eARC? Its what average consumers want FFS. Drop down to 4 star in terms of features, in my view.
Many companies are unable to read the market these days and it's a case of 'I did it my way' I wouldn't consider Cyrus now. Too expensive, confusing product ranges and those wee little 1990s calculator displays. People will yawn, but look at the HIFI Rose RS520 and then look at the latest offerings from Cyrus. RS520 every time. One box solution, massive display and 250WPC. It's also tiny and easy to install. Cyrus need to take a look outside of their comfort zone and see what HIFI Rose, Eversolo and NAD are doing with their latest devices. Cyrus are stuck in a rut, yet still have enough custom to keep them going. They will get outpaced soon, when other companies provide the sound quality and features people really want.

Last edited:

thatguy

Aug 30, 2021
Visit site
Cyrus reviews always make be chuckle. This amp is nearly £2k and is way overpriced, considering the sound quality. A £2k amp should give you sonic ecstasy. The 40 year old, narrow and deep case design makes it tricky to fit into cabinets and still forces Cyrus to use small displays that look like something from a 1990s calculator.
The look reminds me of a 90's aftermarket car stereo that was trying to look futuristic.

pat tap

Nov 15, 2023
Visit site
i have a calculator with similar display from the 80s that still works fine, if this amp is still working in 40 years time then it might be a bargain ...keeping things simple is a good thing...

Reactions: Gray

pat tap

Nov 15, 2023
Visit site
Many companies are unable to read the market these days and it's a case of 'I did it my way' I wouldn't consider Cyrus now. Too expensive, confusing product ranges and those wee little 1990s calculator displays. People will yawn, but look at the HIFI Rose RS520 and then look at the latest offerings from Cyrus. RS520 every time. One box solution, massive display and 250WPC. It's also tiny and easy to install. Cyrus need to take a look outside of their comfort zone and see what HIFI Rose, Eversolo and NAD are doing with their latest devices. Cyrus are stuck in a rut, yet still have enough custom to keep them going. They will get outpaced soon, when other companies provide the sound quality and features people really want.
the real test of value is how long a product lasts, not how many bells and whistles it has...

Reactions: Gray

podknocker

the real test of value is how long a product lasts, not how many bells and whistles it has...
Sounds like your a Cyrus fan. I think Cyrus stuff is just as complicated as the HIFI Rose RS520 and as for lifespan, you'll need to wait to see if the RS520 lasts as long as the Cyrus amp and I reckon it will.

The RS520 is better than the Cyrus in every department and you would need to spend a great deal more on Cyrus kit, to get all the features of the RS520 and you'd still be stuck with an inferior display on each device.

Last edited:

Gray

...considering the sound quality.
I wouldn't take too much notice of their description of it's sound.
In the AV Forums review 'pro's' column they said of this amp: 'Sounds absolutely brilliant'.
But I wouldn't take too much notice of that either.

I'd have to hear it myself before judging.
There's no doubt it's overpriced though - not least due to being 'made' in the UK.

podknocker

Cyrus can have a sale now and then and discount their amps by £1000 and still make a profit. I think most of their stuff is £1000 overpriced. Made in the UK is no excuse in my opinion. They must have an efficient process, after all these years and don't seem to spend much of their R&D budget, with the same casework churned out every year, along with the small displays, which are almost useless at more than a few feet away. I like Cyrus, but they are too expensive. As I mentioned elsewhere, they might have to change their tactics and go with a better design at some point, when competing with so many great products in the streaming amp sector. HIFI Rose. Leema, NAD and Eversolo make some cracking products and Cyrus designs seem to be stuck in the past. When these great products are mentioned, you can see the entrenched Cyrus supporters get on the defensive and almost dismiss any other brand, with little regard for the product's feature set or build quality. The HIFI Rose RS520 is amazing and such a huge margin ahead of Cyrus. Cyrus have been sat on their laurels for years, expecting their products to retain the same revenue as they always have. I think the arrival of streaming devices and Class D amps will put the cat amongst the pigeons and Cyrus, amongst other well established companies, will be forced to change their strategy. So many lazy companies out there and we do need a game changer now and then, to shake up the market. I think the RS520 is such a product.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS