Cyrus Cd8 SE 5 units and will not play !!!!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi there,

Definitely cut your losses!

I have read of many problems with the Cyrus, particularly not reading discs.

I was tempted to buy one recently and did demo between the Cyrus CD8 SE and the Naim CD5XS. It only took me a short while before hearing that the Naim was far superior.

Sugden A21L amp, Naim CD5XS, Chord Cobra3 i.c. ProAc Studio 130's

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Macspur:
Hi there,

I was tempted to buy one recently and did demo between the Cyrus CD8 SE and the Naim CD5XS. It only took me a short while before hearing that the Naim was far superior.

"... far superior". I think not. If you like lean, get Naim.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
eternaloptimist:Macspur:

Hi there,

"... far superior". I think not. If you like lean, get Naim.

Not sure what you mean by lean, but if you like your music with depth and crystal clear detail, the Naim CD5XS wins over the Cyrus every time.

A

Anonymous

Macspur:Definitely cut your losses!
This is definitely Cyrus' last chance.

Superior to your ears yes :)

Well I may be on the listen for a new CD player, and probably complete new system, if the Cyrus CD8se messes up again.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Have just had my CDXt se back from Cyrus still have problems reading, playing and 50% of discs will not eject properly. I am crying into my beer, I am still a Cyrus fan...at the moment.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Just an oblique comment... I have a CD6SE and have had no disk reading problems - must be lucky... It will probably be the last CD player I buy as I think the future in digital hifi is with hi-res lossless files into a quality DAC. I am just hoping that hi-res files continue to increase in availability over the years - especially studio masters. It seems like a good thing that if we can access the studio recordings without the steps of encoding to CD / Vinyl then decoding etc. I am around half-way through ripping all my CDs using Exact Audio Copy to FLAC - very time consuming but hopefully will never have to do it again!

Hope the CD8SE saga ends well in the end... :)

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Sympathies, beginning to see that the slot-loading system and the 2010 update STILL haven't solved the reliability problems, I'm afraid it's DAC time for me... problems galore here too albeit with the Discmaster8 (the last DVD player)... 1st one stopped reading all-but-new CD's and DVD's after less than a year. Bought another online from a "large chain" who shall remain anon (unless you think about it), this unit skipped even with new discs. The hardest thing is this... I strained my budget somewhat to go with cyrus and the upgrade paths that that entails largely bacause the performance of the CD6se / 8se couldn't be ignored, and I do love the sheer musicality of all cyrus players when they work. But with the range and price of DACS available now and NAS storage available at a pittance, I just don't have time for this, it's frankly embarrasing "You paid HOW much for your player, and it's broke within a year?"

When I returned the second unit the dealer mentioned the reliability problems Cyrus are having (seemingly mainly with players), it was his last unit, I would have been wanted a refund anyway. Afterwards I found out that Cyrus specifically forbids the selling of their equipment by their dealers mail-order / online so perhaps the dealer shouldn't have sold it to me, he was very helpful however in arranging a return and refund. This did get me thinking, and since Ive built a clear head of steam up with this rant I'll continue....

At first I assumed it was because of some marketing thing, a quirk of upper-mid-range-equipment britishness. But now I am thinking Cyrus knows that the equipment they produce is simply too fragile to be shipped through regular channels. This is the real reason they don't allow dealers to sell through the post. Ive got friends who have worked in shipping warehouses and believe me most of what you get through the post has been thrown around LOTS. I imagine the slightest knock sending a cyrus disc mechanism out of alignment, how else would you explain a £1000+ transport coming back from a factory repair job and still not working properly, are they employing monkeys?

The most damning part... I have a feeling Cyrus know about this and they don't care, it's like a part of the brand now... me banging on about it is like phoning up Aston Martin about their reliability issues. In fact owning Cyrus player seems exactly like owning an Aston, it's said you aren't a true petrol-head until youve owned an Aston, experienced the sheer pleasure, then had the heartache of it breaking down, then seen sense and got rid of it for something way more reliable (but slightly less magical).....remind you of anything?
emotion-14.gif

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
AudioPlaya:...... But now I am thinking Cyrus knows that the equipment they produce is simply too fragile to be shipped through regular channels. This is the real reason they don't allow dealers to sell through the post. Ive got friends who have worked in shipping warehouses and believe me most of what you get through the post has been thrown around LOTS. I imagine the slightest knock sending a cyrus disc mechanism out of alignment, how else would you explain a £1000+ transport coming back from a factory repair job and still not working properly, are they employing monkeys? ......

Not sure about the post issue... Here in Australia, every bit of Cyrus kit I own has been flown from the Sydney importer / distributer - including my CD6SE... Typically the retailer has very limited stock and arranges delivery direct from the wholesaler.... Does make me wonder about delicate transports etc... another reason for "no more CD players for me"....

Just my 2 cents.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AudioPlaya:When I returned the second unit the dealer mentioned the reliability problems Cyrus are having (seemingly mainly with players), it was his last unit, I would have been wanted a refund anyway. Afterwards I found out that Cyrus specifically forbids the selling of their equipment by their dealers mail-order / online so perhaps the dealer shouldn't have sold it to me, he was very helpful however in arranging a return and refund.

Dealers all get their gear delivered to them by the likes of TNT, CityLink, UPS, Parcelforce or other couriers. Other manufacturer's CD players seemed to have survived this process for the last three decades.

A

Anonymous

Crossie:Have just had my CDXt se back from Cyrus still have problems reading, playing and 50% of discs will not eject properly.
Was the software updated on your unit?

My CD8se that is currently back with Cyrus, had;
Ver V4.4
11 Feb 2010
SERVO V1.7

I hear that there has been an update.

A

Anonymous

cj_random:Well you lot seem to be damned unlucky. My CD6se works just fine thanks.Glad to hear that your CD6se is working fine.
After six failed 8se units, I don't think bad luck comes into the equation really.

A

Anonymous

i have the 8cd se, had it for about 2 months, a few disc errors, but i think that was down to the way i was loading the disc, as when re loaded they were fine.

A

Anonymous

I take that last comment back, as it has started not to play discs it has played in the past, as well as some new ones.

i havent noticed any comments from cyrus themsleves. i would have thought a company like cyrus would want to address the problems quickly and reasure its customers.

they may find many customers changing to a different brand, and it can take a long time to win those customers back again, i personaly dont like phillips products haveing had problems with tv's/phones/shavers/dvd players, as were all problematic.

A

Anonymous

firewire:I havent noticed any comments from cyrus themsleves. i would have thought a company like cyrus would want to address the problems quickly and reasure its customers.
Cyrus continue to sweep the problems under the carpet, and in an attempt to hide what is a fundamentally poor product, they continue to give ridiculous excuses.

My CD8se unit arrived back from the dealer Friday 5th Oct, it having been back to Cyrus for repair. It failed upon playback of the 2nd disc! The exact same fault that the unit was supposed to have had repaired! It stops playback mid-play.

The unit did have an upgrade to the servo software - it now at V2.0.

It's my belief that Cyrus simply do not have the expertise necessary to write proper software for this product. After 3 years of development, the product still behaves in an imbecilic manner. And Cyrus continue to show incompetence.

A

Anonymous

Cyrus should take note on what is being said on forums like this and the potential customers they could lose through lack of confidence in the products.

For instance over 3500 people have view this thread alone, not forgeting there are several other theads about simular problems with cyrus cd players.

A

Anonymous

I have been dreaming of owning a CD6SE since the review in WHF in 2008. I read it and said that's the one - that's what I am aiming for. I wanted to team it up with a 6XP and relax over the next few years in the knowledge that I had finally bought a decent British Hi-Fi. Now it's time to purchase and I am looking to go for a 6XPd only so I can use the CD transport I have (Sony CDP-X3000ES) for reliability and error free disc reading coupled with the Cyrus DAC and amp to give me the sound I am after.

This thread is turning a lot of people away from Cyrus and I think they need to do two things. One is get this sorted out (£1000 plus CD players that do not read discs is a serous issue - not just a minor flaw) and more importantly they need to address this issue by speaking to people - die-hard fans are turning elsewhere and people wanting to buy their kit are starting to have second-thoughts. Not a good position to be in in the current climate.

A

Anonymous

groberton:Now it's time to purchase and I am looking to go for a 6XPd only so I can use the CD transport I have (Sony CDP-X3000ES) for reliability and error free disc reading coupled with the Cyrus DAC and amp to give me the sound I am after.
In that case, I'd recommend to give Cyrus SE CD players a miss, keep the Sony player you have or look to another manufacturer, because Cyrus are proving incapable of rectifying the issues with the SE CD platform. The issues would appear to be a fundamental design flaw, whether it be component quality, hardware design or software. It wouldn't surprise me if Cyrus soon drop the CD player from their product line-up.

This thread is turning a lot of people away from Cyrus and I think they need to do two things. One is get this sorted out (£1000 plus CD players that do not read discs is a serous issue - not just a minor flaw)
Agreed. Though it's been several years since the introduction of their SE CD players and the same issues still exist, not just with the product itself, but with the way Cyrus are handling it.

My REPAIRED and UPGRADED unit lasted a couple of days before COMPLETE FAILURE. Every disc is spat out with a Disc Error.

Just HOW is it possible for Cyrus to take in a unit for repair, and the unit get back to the user, with the same fault, which worsens within a couple of plays of a disc to a complete failure - the unit, I assume, having passed through test procedures prior to return? It's shocking that it should happen once, but several times as in my case?

Come on What Hi-Fi, you need to take a serious look into this again. This clearly IS NOT an isolated incident. I've had SIX UNITS, every single one of which has had problems or failed! And Cyrus fail to deal with it in a proper manner. This is evidenced by dozens of similar stories here at What Hi-Fi forums.

A

Anonymous

Upon investigating the problem further, I have found that the hub motor is not spinning the disc up, so the laser is hunting around for data that it cannot read. The exact same failure as a previous unit!

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have just received my December issue of the magazine which has the cd 6se on test. Why is it still getting 5 stars and no mention of reliability concerns with the se range of cdp's? When they play properly the cd se's are wonderful, but for there price potential buyers need to know of their poor reliability.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
My gut reaction says 'move on'. If you have a problem and the kit is at fault and always has been, get a refund. Go and find a CDP that does what you want it to do and stop living in the ' dream etcheleon'. Life goes on.

A

Anonymous

I received my unit back 23 November 2010, it having had a new "optic", by which I assume Cyrus mean laser assembly. It's getting on for three weeks and it's still working!

The software has been updated, but the player still behaves in an idiotic fashion. Insert a CD-R, it'll read the TOC, press Play, and it just sits there at count 0:00 for 5 minutes or more before then deciding to play the disc perfectly! I find myself re-recording these "problem CD-R's" just so they will play in the 8se without delays. Yet these "problem CD-R's play perfectly in every other player.

I'm still a firm believer that the se platform has problems with certain CD-R types.

SteveR750

Cyrus "fixed" the software glitch I had with my CD6SE when i bought it last year, and were impressively candid whenever I spoke to their tech department. I *like* them, just not so keen on the sound.

Get a PC and stream, suddenly this kind of nonsense is perfectly acceptable as part of the Windows 'experience', like why has my Gizmo remote app on my phone suddenly stopped working..

A

Anonymous

yes I understand your concern I have the cd6se which isnt flawless I have to eject and reload sometimes its a very finicky transport its this servo evolution technology obviously needs some tweaking but for me the sound quality is very impressive and I have learned to live with its few shortcomings.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750:
Cyrus "fixed" the software glitch I had with my CD6SE when i bought it last year, and were impressively candid whenever I spoke to their tech department. I *like* them, just not so keen on the sound.

Get a PC and stream, suddenly this kind of nonsense is perfectly acceptable as part of the Windows 'experience', like why has my Gizmo remote app on my phone suddenly stopped working..

You seem to have followed a similar route to me...

I have found problems vanished when I went to a dedicated Win 7 laptop, J River MC only installed, stripped of all unnecessary software, unnecessary services disabled etc.... love my CD6SE but it is now generatlly gathering dust since streaming via DAC....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts