Cyrus cd6se2 to cd8se2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have an opportunity to buy a Cyrus cd8se2 for £700. I already have and am frankly quite happy with the cd6. Any opinions on whether this is a real step up? I am using it with a Cyrus 8 XPD Qx and some B&W 800 series speakers. Is it worth the hassle?

Any opinions on whether to use the CD as a transport only or should I use the analog on a CD8. Obviously I will experiment, but just interested in peoples thoughts. Thanks for your time.

A

Anonymous

Speakers are CDM 1NT. 800 series was wishful thinking on my part.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I would use the CD6se2 as a transport as you have the enhanced DAC in the 8XPdQX. The CD8se2 is a superb piece of kit but not worth the upgrade as you already have a great DAC in the 8XPdQX. If you want to upgrade then get the CDXTse2.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, sell the Cd6se, rip your CD's to a NAS and buy the Stream X. Then get a PSX-R for the amp.>)

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
You can factory upgrade for less than that and that will give you a 2-year warranty and to all intents and purposes a new CD player.

I factory upgraded from 6SE to 8SE2 and considered it worth it in sonic terms, although with the drop in Cyrus prices recently I have ended up paying more than you pay for a new model these days. Just the way it goes sometimes. I'm pretty certain this will be my last ever one-box CD player anyway - it's a good 'un (witness the latest Hifi Ch*ice CD player group test - it won).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Crossie. Swapping your CD player for another full CD player is pointless, as all you're using with either player is the digital output. The main upgrade with a CD8se2 would be the DAC, which you won't be using.

I'd keep your player as a transport (you can have it upgraded to a transport at a later date if you wish, or as Crossie mentions, rip all your CD's to HDD and change it for a Stream X), and use the extra cash to start saving for a power amp in order to drive your B&W's better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts