Cyrus 8vs2 and CD8SE - what speakers?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just purchased 8vs2 amp and cd8se tested with atlas cables and dynaudio focus 110 speakers. Wasn't planning on new speakers at the moment because of budget - living with monitor audio rs1 for the time being - not ideal.

110's were bargain price of £550 [ex demo] but needed permission to go for them [!!] which was given but 24 hrs later 110's sold.

Now got the permission so have tested dynaudio excite x12's and b&w cm1's - but note sure - have I still got the 110's in the back of my mind [??]

Any one got any recommendations - budget circa £600 - or should I save for higher budget and live with the rs1's for the time being?

Re cables I am looking at atlas equator interconnects and atlas hyper [1.0 or 2.0] speaker cable - any other recommendations?

A

Anonymous

Focus 110are very good but deserve more amplification. Ask your dealer to show them on a pair of MonoX and you'll hear why!

They've recently discontinued but I'd try and see if you can get hold of a pair of Spendor s3e. They're much better all-rounders than the boxy-sounding S3/5 (yuck) and the SA1.

A

Anonymous

I would suggest to save up more, and go for something like the Spendor A5 floor-standing loudspeakers, or perhaps, if you prefer stand-mount loudspeakers, the Spendor SA1 with their dedicated loudspeaker stands. Either option will set you back approximately the same amount.

A

Anonymous

I am biased about the s3e's as I have them, and they compliment the sound of the cyrus extremely well.

I can recomend them, and they give grear detail and soundstage.

I heard the s5e floor standers with the amp, although with the arcam cd player and they rocked.

Spendor go very well with the amp / cd combo.

I hope I am not breaking any rules here, but if you look on the unofficial cyrus forum, they talk alot about different speaker combos on there, and it is more geared up for the kit you have.

Phil

A

Anonymous

I went for the ProAc Studio 110, ex-demo for £500. I also auditioned the Spendor S3e which I found didn't do the Cyrus kit justice - they sounded mushy and confused next to the ProAcs.

Cables - Blue Jeans LC1 interconnects and Belden 5000UP from Mark Grant. Although the cables are relatively low cost, they are NOT cheap, and allow the system to sound fantastic. Note though that WHSV recommend Cyrus own cables as being THE match for the system (expensive though, and with the same electrical characterisitics as my far less expensive cables).

A

Anonymous

I must admit, the cyrus cables are overpriced in my eyes. They are the same solid core as the dnm reson or stereo variant. DNM also do interconnects with the solid core as well.

I chose the qed speaker cable, as it made the speakers sing more, and opened everything up, so not to make them a bit mushy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys some good food for thought.

1. I'm going to try and demo the Proac Studio 110's & Spendor s3e's - and the SA1's if I get the chance. [Septicman - £500 great price - right place right time!]

2. Check out the forums as recommended.

3. Get into the cables suggested once the speakers are sorted.

4. Is James just punting is own products or are they worth a listen with Cyrus?

Another couple of questions:

Are the Epos M12i's and/or PMC DB1i's worth hearing?

One of my local dealers is pushing [on the phone] Totem speakers[?] - anyone got any experience of them and in particular with Cyrus?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Raymond1:
Thanks guys some good food for thought.

Get into the cables suggested once the speakers are sorted.

4. Is James just punting is own products or are they worth a listen withÿCyrus?ÿ

ÿ

I am to a degree, not heard them on Cyrus, the Radiance 1's work well on Naim (we test on it) and Audiolab, they are designed to be a little mid-forward and punchy if anything - Cyrus from my memory is a little "Boom-Tizz", emphasis on bass and treble so they may balance well or if the Cyrus is agressive at the same frequencies may be too much. We didn't want to make the 1's "boring", instead they are musical, powerful and punchy in the same vein as the original AE1's and 100 series...ÿ

A

Anonymous

Just my two pennies as a fellow Cyrus owner. Spendor and PMC speakers go very well with Cyrus kit. I listen to both makes - PMC DB1i, GB1i plus the Spendor A5, SA1 and S6e (sort of predecessor to the A6), I went for the S6e as I was offered an excellent deal plus they can be biwired/biamp unlike the A5/SA1 (I prefer to have the option for biwiring/biamping). They give me the wide open and detailed sound I wanted.

I also auditioned Cyrus's own speaker cables and Chord Odyssey 4, went for the latter as the Chord gave me more detail. Hope this helps.

Eddie Pound:

Focus 110are very good but deserve more amplification. Ask your dealer to show them on a pair of MonoX and you'll hear why!

They've recently discontinued but I'd try and see if you can get hold of a pair of Spendor s3e. They're much better all-rounders than the boxy-sounding S3/5 (yuck) and the SA1.

Depends on the sort of sound he likes. The Spendors are great little speaker, but they lack a little depth (comparatively speaking), whereas the Dynos pack more punch and (personally) think they are a better match than the Spendors.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts