Cyrus 8 Integrated Amplifier Fault

Llwynygan

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
My Cyrus 8 integrated amplifier has stopped working and I am trying to isolate the problem. I have tried a turntable (via a phone stage), a music streamer and direct connection to my phone (through its headphone socket) through all of the sources on the amplifier. None produce any sound at all. I have also connected headphones to the socket at the rear of the amplifier and get no sound through there either (after pressing the ‘phones’ button on the front (LED by the volume control goes orange). Note also the ‘mute’ button on the front appears to work, turning the LED red.

An engineer has looked at it and all internals are working well. He thinks the issue is the software controlling the headphone and mute switches has become corrupted and permanently turned off outputs to the speaker terminals and headphone socket.

I can find no way online of resetting/rebooting/flashing the firmware.

Any ideas before I need to condemn it. Missing my music!!

Gray

Sorry to hear that.
When I read this thread title, I was expecting to read that your amp wasn't going through its lightshow power-up sequence (according to an Engineer on another forum, that one is a common, virtually unrepairable fault).

My own Cyrus 8 is 19 years old. As it happens I'm a qualified Electronics Service Engineer. I could be wrong but my guess is that, for your £300 Cyrus will be board swapping rather than replacing components - that other Engineer described chip replacement as a 'pig' - I don't doubt it.

I would imagine your repair man traced the audio signal through your amp to come up with his diagnosis......

As much as I love my 8, no way would I pay £300 to get it going again.
Whereabouts are you located by the way?

Llwynygan

Jan 31, 2021
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. Fantastic to hear from fellow enthusiasts. The engineer I used did trace the signal and everything seems fine, hence his conclusion about the software.

I love my 8 too - it’s a great match with my Rega Planar 3 and Dynaudio speakers. I brought it all out of storage about a month ago (packed away for 18 months due to a house move). Worked brilliantly for a month then no sound!!

I am now stuck with no music and wondering do I spend £300 to get it fixed or spend say £600 on a Rega Brio, or something else. What would you do?

I live in mud Wales, about 40 mins from Shrewsbury.

D

Deleted member 116933

They will charge £300 to repair/service it. Not sure spending that is worth it given second hand they are about £300-£350!!
Well that’s up to you, you might end up with same problem again. And the work would be guaranteed. Makes more sense then buying an unknown second hand entity.

but if you fancy change then that’s a different story

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts