Cyrus 6xp cd6se Thin, bright , lean help!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I'm listening to this combination of amp/cd through dynaudio DM 2/6 speakers as I write this (P J Harvey, Let England Shake if you're interested).

The detail retrieval is excellent, the sound stage great too and PJ sounds brilliant.

I auditioned these against the Roksan K2 pair and the Cyrus were far better. Had them for 6 months now and really pleased. The DM 2/6s work really well. So. Think the answer does lie in you speaker matching.

Stick with the Cyrus'.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Hey i have been saying this 4 years now.. 65% of Hifi these day just sound too clinical... People have gotten so use to clinical sounding Hifi that no one can tell what sounds right anymore. No matter how much you spend u will end up with the same problem.. Its not about how much u spend.... its about how well u match ur Hifi. Expansive does not always equal better sound. When i tell people my system make up, they think that its a mismatch.. I got a Rega planet cd player.. Very first cd player from rega.. Marantz amp.. AV, With Sonus faber cremonas at the front end.. costing about 10 times more than the cd & amp together!!

I record in a music studio almost everyday & hear real sound from instruments.. & most hifi these day just does not do it at all. Hey but they say its a matter of taste. But if most people say there system sounds thin & bright then there is a problem in the Hifi industry!! My advice dnt let the price of hifi determine what you buy home listen were possible. Only use reviews as a guide. All the best..

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Hey i have been saying this 4 years now.. 65% of Hifi these day just sound too clinical... People have gotten so use to clinical sounding Hifi that no one can tell what sounds right anymore. No matter how much you spend u will end up with the same problem.. Its not about how much u spend.... its about how well u match ur Hifi. Expansive does not always equal better sound. When i tell people my system make up, they think that its a mismatch.. I got a Rega planet cd player.. Very first cd player from rega.. Marantz amp.. AV, With Sonus faber cremonas at the front end.. costing about 10 times more than the cd & amp together!!

I record in a music studio almost everyday & hear real sound from instruments.. & most hifi these day just does not do it at all. Hey but they say its a matter of taste. But if most people say there system sounds thin & bright then there is a problem in the Hifi industry!! My advice dnt let the price of hifi determine what you buy home listen were possible. Only use reviews as a guide. All the best..

What is clinical?

What does 'right' sound like?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Even in the old days Cyrus wasn't exactly known for a rose-tinted lush sound. But whether the sound is good or bad is obviously very personal, and definitely the key is don't partner it with lean-sounding speakers.

manicm

oldric_naubhoff said:
hifilover1979 said:
The PM1's are hard to drive

can you describe what "hard to drive" means in your dictionary? because for me speaker with nominal impedance of 8 Ohms with a dip at 5.1 Ohm and 84dB sensitivity doesn't look like tough job in average sized living room (4*5*2.5 m). in order to get about 90dB (I say about because a lot depends on room reverberation), which by all means is loud enough in most cases, you only need about 10W of power. so tell me, what's so difficult about it?

A dip at 5.1 ohms from 8 ohms suggests it would not be hard to drive, but its 84db sensitivity is pretty low. I agree with David that a 30w amp will not cut it with this speaker. And anyway if you can afford a 2.5k speaker (with its matching stands), you can surely afford an amp that's more powerful.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's often recommendations to mate lowish-sensitivity speakers with really powerful amps. I think I need someone to explain in simple terms why it's necessary. My speakers are 84db, my living-room is 15'x12', the first amp I used them with was an old 25W p/c Cyrus 1, and they would easily go loud enough to bring the police to my door. Being able to deliver clean current on demand is more important than PA-level RMS wattages, imo.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Just read through this thread....fascinating read. I don't know Cyrus kit, but the thing that sticks in my mind reading these Cyrus threads is the WHF recommendation a few issues ago when comparing one make systems - Rega, Cyrus, Roksan compared - the recommendation for the all Cyrus kit (the best sounding in WHFs opinion) was to pair them with a pair of KEF q100....or was it the q300.

Anyway after testing it with more excotic speakers this was their conclusion. Now I ain't putting nuttun out there or anything like that but regardless of price its a 40wpc amp - high sensitivity , low wattage speakers may be the way to go aka the BX2 or maybe Quad 12Ls or the above kefs - audition those just to see.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
There's often recommendations to mate lowish-sensitivity speakers with really powerful amps. I think I need someone to explain in simple terms why it's necessary. My speakers are 84db, my living-room is 15'x12', the first amp I used them with was an old 25W p/c Cyrus 1, and they would easily go loud enough to bring the police to my door. Being able to deliver clean current on demand is more important than PA-level RMS wattages, imo.

Allow me to try..... eh, em.

Well an amp does not have to be powerfull to go loud (distortion is often seen as loudness), to produce the full harmonics from a speaker/driver it does need power though - as said in another thread differnt parts of a driver produces different frequencys within the drivers range. So while a low powered amp can produce the general harmonics you need the power to drive the speaker properly, move all parts of the driver to produce its full range.

Its like a car that weighs 2 tons, a 1litre engine can get it to 60mph screaming its pistons off, but a 3litre V6 fuel injected turbo charged..er...engine will do it with alot less stress, smoother etc.

So while within its comfort zone a low powered amp will hold its own, up to a point it'll not control a low sensitivity speaker at higher volumes.

(Valve amps Class D amps I am not familiar with so pls ...... :) )

hannibal

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I use Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers (a single wire Chord set up and Van Den Hul 102 interconnects) with my equipment; a Cyrus 8vs2 amp with PSX-R. The bass is superb on my system, the MA's are very detailed, clean and precise. I was wondering how you had got on with the Cyrus equipment and if you had stuck with it? The Chord interconnects that I have heard can work very well with the Cyrus kit but I opted for the Van Den Hul, which are very open and smooth and can help add some weight to the sound, maybe a touch too dark for some systems but to me, they work very well with Cyrus. I am hoping to add a further PSX-R and a Cyrus 8se CD Player to my set up later this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts