Cyrus 6xp cd6se Thin, bright , lean help!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
eternaloptimist said:
Afraid Steve is NOT right- parituclarly in regard to the newer Cyrus kit (since the 8vs etc).

I have Cyrus pre/power combo which is not in the least "thin weedy and hard" and am not missing anything! Listening with the Audiovectors to female vocal is sublime. I have listened to a lot of gear and love the Cyrus detail.

I suspect you have 2 issues. The main culprit is likely the speakers with the Cyrus gear. Cyrus is very detailed. Speakers that pair well included: Audiovector (I would say that...), Dynaudio (but need lots of power), ATC (ditto), Spendor, PMC, Proac. Are you able to take your speakers to the shop?

The second issue is power. The 6XP is not a particularly powerful amp. I don't know your speakers but unless they are sensitive, you may find the control lacking.

So, overall.... I suggest looking at your speakers.... If you don't want to change them, you may need to move from Cyrus.

I second Eternal's view here; if you want the detail of the Cyrus sound, then newer 8 series stuff (i.e. 8vs2 and cd8x) is probably the minimum standard to go for. I can't vouch for all the speaker brands mentioned apart from the PMCs that sing in my living-room.

Currently listening to: Curtis Mayfield - Superfly

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
to be honest I don't have much experience with Cyrus gear. but what experience I have makes me stay well clear from Cyrus gear. I definitely join the Cyrus nay sayers fraction.

I had an opportunity to listen to Cyrus's Streamline on the end of B&W PM1 (so in every way a very decent set up and quite expensive too, everybody would agree). however the music produced by this combo was one of the worst sounds I have ever had a chance to experience. to my ears many shops systems with quality in-ceiling speakers sound much more enjoyable.

to make things worse the song being played at that time was something I have and am familiar with: Les Rythmes Digitales "Hypnotise". if I could use painting analogy I'd say it looked like Jackson Pollock's paintings; just one big, single-dimensional maze of really nothing in particular (I kind of like his vision in painting but music reproduction is a different thing altogether). the sound was very thin, harsh and unpleasant with detail all over the place but without any coherent nature. I actually played this song to my GF when we got back home to show her how it really sounds like. there was body, flow, delicacy and space. and detail too, but detail presented in very coherent way; that doesn't want to jump ahead of what should be in front. if you want similar presentation check valves (Icon Audio is very good and Inexpensive). and I wouldn't be trying to lock myself into upgrading spiral as you're trying. instead of buying a Cyrus 6xp and Cyrus 6cdp with a view of upgrading why not buying a decent amp and CDP, such that will give you hours of pleasure through listening to music, in the first place?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
To be fair Oldric, 30wpc for a pair of PM1's is a huge ask. There's no way that little shoebox will drive them properly, hence the sound you were hearing. I think that dealer needs to evaluate their system building skills....

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
To be fair Oldric, 30wpc for a pair of PM1's is a huge ask. There's no way that little shoebox will drive them properly, hence the sound you were hearing. I think that dealer needs to evaluate their system building skills....

Fully agree

The PM1's are hard to drive so the StreamLine was in now way the best amp to drive them

Even when I demo'd them with the set-up I've got they still didnt sound their best; only the monoblocks got the most out of them but unfortunately they werent within my allocated budget...

To the OP; I'd ignore the above but opne post re the PM1's and StreamLine; I'm amazed that the shop allowed that demo to go ahead.

Your Cyrus 6XP and 6SE CDP combo is very good indeed; it's just about finding the right speakers now

A

Anonymous

kev g said:
Personally, I would start by auditioning the PMC FB1i, B&W CM9`s.

Personally I wouldnt go for the CM9's with the 6XP. Great speakers but they need a much better/powerfuk amp to get them to sing at their best.

The CM5's would work very well indeed as would some CM7's if the OP can find any

The M/A GX50's and 100's worked superbly with the 6XP when I demo'd them before listening to them with set-up as did the RX2's.

Even the RX6's would be a good match if the OP is after floorstanders

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
I had an opportunity to listen to Cyrus's Streamline on the end of B&W PM1 (so in every way a very decent set up and quite expensive too, everybody would agree). however the music produced by this combo was one of the worst sounds I have ever had a chance to experience. to my ears many shops systems with quality in-ceiling speakers sound much more enjoyable.

Cyrus is far from my favorite brand, but I heard the Streamline playing through some Linn Majik 109s, and was impressed for what it was.

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
With eddy having a budget of £2000 I wanted to spend the lot. I read an article on the CM9`S where a 50 Watt quality amp made them sing. I took into consideration that the poster was planning to upgrade to Cyrus 8 series in the future.

Yes I agree, the cheaper B&W CM series should work well as indeed the cheaper PMC GB1i`s

The Monitor Audio range is another to add to the list.

wbarr

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Some of the posts in this forum are less than helpful to the OP. I get the point (rammed home) that some posters don't like the Cyrus sound signature. That is presumably why they do not own Cyrus kit. However, the OP does and had already stated that he liked the sound on a demo. As per kev g, given that the budget is £2,000, I strongly recommend the PMC 21s (£1, 375) and stands (£279), as they are easy to drive and sound great on the end of the Cyrus 6 combo. They will doubtless improve with any upgrades made to the system and are comfortably in budget.

When purchasing, I auditoned against the PMC DB1is and also the Proac tablets. 21s were more neutral and more engaging to my ears and, despite spending so much on speakers and ignoring the 'source first' approach which is ingrained, I do not regret it. PMCs come with a 20 year warranty and I fully expect they will be my speakers in 20 years times, whatever happens to the sources in that time.

Hope the OP is not put-off by those posts suggesting that the wrong equipment choice has been made - that is certainly not my view, and I don't consider the sound in my listening room to be anything close to bright, thin or lean. :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

I know that the cyrus kit isn't for everybody, but as I said I liked the sound at the dealers demo room and also had cyrus before and i'am aware of there slight leaness but gain in detail and imaging.

My main concern was if it was a cable or speaker promblem or the fact that they needed more time to run in.

Thanks to the guys that have offered advice.

I feel that cyrus unlike most other companies offer you the chance to buy in to the brand at a lower price, then upgrade as you go, which is nice option to have.

A point that a another member made was that the new cyrus gear is much fuller sounding then to older cyrus gear, thats why i wondered why mine was sounding so lean thin etc, plus i must add that it seem's to have started sounding much fuller and punchier since yesterday, i suspect that it was still not near run in yet.

cheers eddy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Eddy - I'm afraid your thread has become a bit of a mess with regards to advice. Unfortunately, I have to say this again to set the record straight, as there are those that just wade in quoting the same old misinformation.

Those that have listened to Cyrus in the past have heard the likes of the 6vs/6vs2 and 8vs/8vs2 integrated amplifiers, whose sound was on the lean side, making them sound thin and bright. They were great for people who had dull, bassy systems with no detail, but really didn't suit people with systems that were already on the lean or bright side. The pre/power combinations didnt suffer from this leanness.

The newer 6xp and 8xp ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. They're fuller, warmer, and more gutsy, and while they display Cyrus' trademark 'up front' sound, they don't display the brightness of old.

If I were you Eddy, rather than upgrading to the 8's, I'd add a power amplifier to your 6xp, allowing even greater power from whichever power amplifier you choose. You will then be in a position to either upgrade or change to something like a PreXPD or DACxp+, getting you into pre/powers sooner, and in a much better position to choose whichever speakers you'd like to go for. You can then upgrade your 6se (is it a 6se or 6se2?) to the digital transport or to the CDxtSE2, making sure you get the most from your CD's.

What you need to do is work out how far you want to go, in order to work out how to get their in a wee number of steps.

A

Anonymous

Hi David

Thanks for advice, it makes pefect sense to go down the route of power amp then speakers, I must agree that the new cyrus gear is much warmer the older cyrus thats why i loved the demo kit so much, I do however have a larger listening space then demo room this could be a factor to.

I feel sometimes its a black art matching systems rooms interconnects etc.

cheers eddy

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT said:
hifilover1979 said:
Even when I demo'd them with the set-up I've got they still didnt sound their best; only the monoblocks got the most out of them but unfortunately they werent within my allocated budget...

Hi hfl1979

Which monoblocks did you hear the PM1's with please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Apolgoies Rick got my wires crossed on this; it was the XPowers I demo'd the PM1's with not the mono's (X200's); they were the 805's...

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
eternaloptimist said:
Afraid Steve is NOT right- parituclarly in regard to the newer Cyrus kit (since the 8vs etc).

I have Cyrus pre/power combo which is not in the least "thin weedy and hard" and am not missing anything! Listening with the Audiovectors to female vocal is sublime. I have listened to a lot of gear and love the Cyrus detail.

I suspect you have 2 issues. The main culprit is likely the speakers with the Cyrus gear. Cyrus is very detailed. Speakers that pair well included: Audiovector (I would say that...), Dynaudio (but need lots of power), ATC (ditto), Spendor, PMC, Proac. Are you able to take your speakers to the shop?

The second issue is power. The 6XP is not a particularly powerful amp. I don't know your speakers but unless they are sensitive, you may find the control lacking.

So, overall.... I suggest looking at your speakers.... If you don't want to change them, you may need to move from Cyrus.

Afraid I am! :) as are those that have the same impression, after all, that's all it is...just an impression.

The only decent Cyrus set up to me ears was an pre xp + PSX + 2 x mono blocs.

I preferred the K2 over an 8xpd in the demo room, and in my system at home. Granted the CD players are very good indeed, I once owned a CD6se, and frankly an 8SE + PSX was awesome.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but using phrases like "thin, weedy and hard" is somewhat inflammatory.

In the same vein, Spendors are often touted as a good match to Cyrus, but to my ears the Spendors I have heard (A5, A6) are dull and boring - perhaps OK for chamber music. But, of course, just my impression....

Glad to hear that at least the PreXP and Mono blocks sounded OK!

SteveR750

Adjectives are only inflammatory if taken personally, this is only hi fi gear after all!

Seriously though, I did find it sounding like that, as I did the 8xpd. The monos were much better, but there are probably alternatives at that price level that are also better suited to my to my preferences.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
42 posts later, I think one can sum up by saying, that the right Cyrus kit when carefully matched, can sound well....but before spending any money, it's worth checking out what other brands can bring to the table. :)

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
42 posts later, I think one can sum up by saying, that the right Cyrus kit when carefully matched, can sound well....but before spending any money, it's worth checking out what other brands can bring to the table. :)

After 42 posts this is the best advice i've seen to the OP's dilema.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hifilover1979 said:
The PM1's are hard to drive

can you describe what "hard to drive" means in your dictionary? because for me speaker with nominal impedance of 8 Ohms with a dip at 5.1 Ohm and 84dB sensitivity doesn't look like tough job in average sized living room (4*5*2.5 m). in order to get about 90dB (I say about because a lot depends on room reverberation), which by all means is loud enough in most cases, you only need about 10W of power. so tell me, what's so difficult about it?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
To be fair Oldric, 30wpc for a pair of PM1's is a huge ask.

maybe you just don't realise how little amplifier power you use in normal domestic use. 30W for a pair of PM1s is more than enough. if you don't believe me connect an MF AMS35i or Lavardin IS Reference, just as an example, to your PM1s to see what good quality thirty-something SS watter can do.

A

Anonymous

oldric_naubhoff said:
hifilover1979 said:
The PM1's are hard to drive

can you describe what "hard to drive" means in your dictionary? because for me speaker with nominal impedance of 8 Ohms with a dip at 5.1 Ohm and 84dB sensitivity doesn't look like tough job in average sized living room (4*5*2.5 m). in order to get about 90dB (I say about because a lot depends on room reverberation), which by all means is loud enough in most cases, you only need about 10W of power. so tell me, what's so difficult about it?

No need to get snotty!

One question; have you heard the PM1's with the Cyrus Streamline? Have you heard the PM1's with the Cyrus 8XP or the Cyrus Pre and XPower amps? If not then I wouldnt comment as the sound is miles apart

The Styreamline, a good little amp it is, just doesnt have the oomph IMO to drive the PM1's to their best whereas the 8XP and Pre/XPower combo made them sing very well indeed...

I'm not technical and not interested in the DB's/ohms/wattage etc... I know what my ears told me and they said that the Streamline struggled to get the best out of the PM1's as it did with the M/A GX100's I bought instead

Having heard the Cyrus 8XPD/8SE/GX100 I have to say it was pretty impressive. But in the end it comes down to application: If you're looking at playing at party levels there are better combos, but if like me, and you listen at low to medium levels the Cyrus combo [any] and PM1s or GX100 are more than happy to ablige.

A

Anonymous

Hey Eddy, I'm confused as to why the Cyrus kit you have sounds bright :S ... Not had a listen to the Castles though. So I can't say why.
But if you have £2000 to spend on speakers. Then have a listen to the Totem Sttaf floorstanders. Beautiful speaker, and works well with the Cyrus. My father has a store in leicester, 'Leicester HiFi' Sometimes we'll have a twiddle with some variations of speakers etc. But as I said, the Totems and Cyrus kit tends to go well together. Nice Warm, fluent bass etc. Sounds lovely with Blues and instumental music. Lacking a little for music such as prodigy etc, but Pink Floyd, sounds very good too... Itall depends on Your ears obviously, but I'd deffinately suggest the Totems.

And if you have the chance to demo some other amps and cd players before making a set decision on the Cyrus kit. Then I reccomend the new Audiolab equipment. Beautifully made, and sounds as good, if not better than the Cyrus. Again, especially with a pair of Totems. We tried otehr speakers, example, Monitor Audio Gs20's? Are they?... Well they just lack depth and the room filling sound the Totems have... How many times have I said Totems now? I don't know...

Totems. Try them lol

Happy listening :)

Josh

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts