cyp or not.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After 20 years collecting dust I was allowed to setup my old system again and promptly did so.. My Bose hadnt fared too badly but soon gave up the ghost and were replaced with B&W 684s. They grow on you! but My old CD players working fine but would a seperate DAC improve on the Philips CD840. I have auditioned a couple of others but they matched it but could'nt out perform it. I have seen the budget CYP DAC & wondered if this would improve my output?

Sys: Philips CD840, Denon POA4400 amps, Rotel 850 Pre-amp and B&W 684s. Nakamichi RX202e is goosed and the Dual 503-1 turntable lost. I listen to rock and metal in a 15x 18 living room.

Thanks

Robin

BlackSpy

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I can't honestly tell you, but the Cyp product I bought about five years ago was pretty basic.

It did enough of the job to avoid trading standards having to get involved but it did so with no panache, kind of like the difference between a DVD and a set of 'bunny ear' aerials for your TV input I'd say.

Hopefully the DAC is a better product, but I'd make sure you know how to return it before you buy it.

matthewpiano

The CD840 is an excellent machine (I have one as back-up) and you'll have to get a pretty good DAC to improve on it. I tried mine through a new Cambridge Audio DacMagic on all 3 filter settings and still preferred the internal DAC of the Philips.

T

the record spot

Given the cost of the thing, you won't lose out on much if you buy and don't like it. On the other hand, I recently had a Philips CD850 for a while and it was a good machine. Great dynamics and given it was a 20 year old machine, had a very contemporary sound to it. I think you'd need to spend a fair bit more to better the 840's as per MP's earlier comments. Philips/Marantz (as were at the time those machines came out) were no slouches and if the 840 has the TDA1541 DAC in it, you'll find that many people still talk of that one in revered tones today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts