Question CXA-61 with Monitor Audio Bronze

Gray

Now I'm after the speakers. One that was suggested to me was the Monitor Audio Bronze 200
That's one make / model....there are loads of other possibillities - every one of them will sound different - some vastly so.
Would be a good idea to get Richer Sounds to let you hear some options on the end of your Cambridge kit - you should notice the big differences, others can tell you what they like.
You can find out what you like.

I have the CXA60 with Dali Zensor 3’s. I also tried the Bronze (whatever the model was at the time the CXA60 was launched) and QA Concept 20’s and the Dali was the clear winner for me. The manager in Richer Sounds suggested I try the Zensor as I was only interested in the other two, especially the QA based on reviews, and I was very glad he did. I’m now considering the Dali Menuet SE’s but will need a significant amp upgrade to go with them.
Dali do make some excellent speakers across their ranges that are often overlooked by those that only contemplate the more well known brands.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I have the CXA60 with Dali Zensor 3’s. I also tried the Bronze (whatever the model was at the time the CXA60 was launched) and QA Concept 20’s and the Dali was the clear winner for me. The manager in Richer Sounds suggested I try the Zensor as I was only interested in the other two, especially the QA based on reviews, and I was very glad he did. I’m now considering the Dali Menuet SE’s but will need a significant amp upgrade to go with them.
Why would you need a significant amp upgrade, doesn't the cxa69 have the guts to drive them?

From the reviews I’ve seen the Menuet’s will highlight any deficiencies in amplification and source. Nothing to do with power. My plan is to compare against what I have, then swap in just the speakers, then amp and speakers together. This is potentially an end game system for me and I will need to hear a significant improvement. What form that improvement may take I really have no idea.

As of right now my money would probably be on replacing my old Panasonic plasma instead. The improvement is far more quantifiable.
Personally I think whatever reviews you have been reading are bunkum.
Amplification, as long as one is sufficiently powerful, will not show as a deficiency by any speakers. Source should be handled well, unless it's rubbish.
Can you point is to these reviews?

Reactions: Gonepostal

doifeellucky

Personally I think whatever reviews you have been reading are bunkum.
Amplification, as long as one is sufficiently powerful, will not show as a deficiency by any speakers. Source should be handled well, unless it's rubbish.
Can you point is to these reviews?
“These Menuet SEs are rated at 86dB/W/m and have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, so will perform best with an amplifier with a decent amount of grunt. We think something like Cambridge’s CXA81 would be a good starting point. You’ll need a similarly capable source, otherwise these Dalis will bite with aggressive recordings or partnering equipment.” - WHF review

Tarun ‘A British Audiophile’ said the Exposure 2510 (£1600) was the best pairing he tried. Others sub £1000 didn’t fair so well, but I’m sure it’s all relative.

I’m going to demo at RS as I’d imagine the current CXA61 will be very similar to my CXA60, but I really need to take my existing speakers with me, otherwise I’ll never really know how much better the Menuet are. Room is obviously also a factor and mine isn’t that great. I’ll then try other amps to see if what the above says is true, but RS don’t really have the brands I’m interested in at the £1000-£1500 price point. Rega Elex-R being a prime candidate. The key point for me is to identify how much better a £1300 speaker is compared to my £300 Zensor 3’s. If I could get close to or better, I’m open to any options, so much the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
“These Menuet SEs are rated at 86dB/W/m and have a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, so will perform best with an amplifier with a decent amount of grunt. We think something like Cambridge’s CXA81 would be a good starting point. You’ll need a similarly capable source, otherwise these Dalis will bite with aggressive recordings or partnering equipment.” - WHF review

Tarun ‘A British Audiophile’ said the Exposure 2510 (£1600) was the best pairing he tried. Others sub £1000 didn’t fair so well, but I’m sure it’s all relative.

I’m going to demo at RS as I’d imagine the current CXA61 will be very similar to my CXA60, but I really need to take my existing speakers with me, otherwise I’ll never really know how much better the Menuet are. Room is obviously also a factor and mine isn’t that great. I’ll then try other amps to see if what the above says is true, but RS don’t really have the brands I’m interested in at the £1000-£1500 price point. Rega Elex-R being a prime candidate. The key point for me is to identify how much better a £1300 speaker is compared to my £300 Zensor 3’s. If I could get close to or better, I’m open to any options, so much the better.
I assume it's the 4 ohm rating of the Menuets that makes them a tad difficult to drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts