Custom IEMs vs Circumaural H/phones performance

raysunshineray

Mar 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm a huge fan of Custom IEMs.

Currently have ACS T1s

Using Denon AHD7000s for Circumaural phones.

Am looking to upgrade the IEMs and the Circumaural phones.

Shortlisted for the IEMs are Shure SE846 (likely choice) and Westone W60

Love what I've read about Senn IE800s (owned the IE8s) – but once used to Custom IEMs, I don't see how one can go back to universals.

(The Shures and Westones are available as customs.)

I have one question I have never seen answered – or asked.

Can a Custom IEM outperform a full-sized Circumaural headphone in terms of overall sound quality, or the other way around? (Within the same price range.)

A specific example (under consideration) would be the Shure SE846 vs Sennheiser HD800.

Of course they will sound very different.

Is it possible to make a comparison in terms of sound quality?

I listen to a wide variety of music, but mainly electronic, ambient, but mostly with dub influences and heavy bass..... the quality and quantity of bass is important, (hence the IE800 interest.) Not much vocal and no classical or jazz.

All other considerations irrelevant – sound quality only.

(I use IEMs at home and I am just as comfortable with either of the two modes of listening)

Any thoughts appreciated.

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
Buy Noble K10's. they cost a grand but they are the best sounding ear phones around.

I been fortunate to hear a pair and they are stunning. I own the Earsonics SM3 V2 and the K10 smoke them in every way possible. 10 Drivers per ear piece and they all work harmoniously.

www.nobleaudio.co.uk

Do a search on Head-fi.org and you will see.

If you want the best then these are highly regarded within the audiophile industry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts