Currys - £10 to £50 off all tablets

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I passed a Currys today (at Bank in the City) and they're doing between £10 and £50 off all tablets, by way of cashback / redemption. The new Nexus 7-16gb has £20 cashback (so £179 once redemption claimed) and the Nexus 7 32gb has £30 cashback (so £209 after redemption).

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
From personal experience I wouldn't buy anything from Curry's, check them out online they have a terrible reputation for service.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
They had a very good offer on last year when I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note - they were certainly the cheapest at the time. I have to admit the whole buying experience was terrible and I have vowed never to go there again.

D

Deleted member 2457

SonofSun said:
From personal experience I wouldn't buy anything from Curry's, check them out online they have a terrible reputation for service.

Agreed, just get John Lewis to price match.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hammill said:
They had a very good offer on last year when I bought my Samsung Galaxy Note - they were certainly the cheapest at the time. I have to admit the whole buying experience was terrible and I have vowed never to go there again.

Which is interesting. I bought my Sonos Play:1 from the local Currys (I wanted it on the day, Amazon could only deliver the following day), other than not having them on the shelf, meaning a wait of a couple of minutes it couldn't have been easier, it was no different to any other shop.

I probably wouldn't buy anything expensive from them, like a TV but for smaller items like this or a tablet I don't have a problem.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I don't expect that John Lewis will price match cash-back offers. And their new "two year extended warranty as standard" means that they will only price match Currys if you include a 2 year top-up warranty from them for comparitor purposes. That's an additional £79 for the 32GB model.

Re the service, like the lhc, I've also found them to be very shop like (exchange cash for goods). Perhaps their after sales service is poor if you have an issue, but I'm rather good at crafting complaint letters...!

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
hammill said:

Which is interesting. I bought my Sonos Play:1 from the local Currys (I wanted it on the day, Amazon could only deliver the following day), other than not having them on the shelf, meaning a wait of a couple of minutes it couldn't have been easier, it was no different to any other shop.

I probably wouldn't buy anything expensive from them, like a TV but for smaller items like this or a tablet I don't have a problem.

Fair enough. I can only tell you about the huge delay in PC world to get served ( at 11 o'clock on a weekday) only to be told they were out of stock with not so much as an apology and I had to go to Currys , non working website (including for the staff which had prevented me from reserving a model and them selling one - took them 30 minutes to overcome this in store - yes I know , in store had to use the website to get the correct deal for an instore purchase) , attempts to flog me an overpriced warrantee and watching them conning people into hideously expensive anti-virus software and warrantees while I waited for service.

My brother in law in another town bought the warrantee on a nexus and had a hell of a job getting them to do anything when there was a problem (and he is a persistant fellow)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
treat it like Ryanair a car maindealer (or indeed your dentist), the are cutting prices on the basis service/product/treatment in the hope of bamboozling you into an impulse purchase on a much higher margin product. It's how the world works these days. have you tried ordering a pizza in pizza express without getting the olives/bread/doughballs hard-sell?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
treat it like Ryanair a car maindealer (or indeed your dentist), the are cutting prices on the basis service/product/treatment in the hope of bamboozling you into an impulse purchase on a much higher margin product. It's how the world works these days. have you tried ordering a pizza in pizza express without getting the olives/bread/doughballs hard-sell?

I guess that is why I dont' fly Ryan air. The con does not work for me, but is annoys me as it wastes my time and there are a lot of people less knowledgeable about these things who get ripped off and I just don't like that. i also try not to eat in any chain restaurant as they normally disappoint, so i will take your word for it on Pizza Express

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
If you avoid Ryanair (one word!) because of the con, you're probably missing a trick. If you're susceptible to the con, by all means avoid it. But if you're aware of it, you can avoid it and get a cheap flight from the most punctual airline in Europe. I fly 2-3 times a month with work, and can choose my airline. BA gives me Avios and a business class option, but I tend to fly Ryanair most as they get there on time. I'd sooner suffer the Ryanair experience and not have to arrive apologising for the delay, and also get home in time to see my kids before bed, rather than call from some far-flung airport with no idea when boarding will commence.

By the same token, if you're savvy with your tech and are buying something where you don't need a salesman to hold your hand, there's no reason not to buy from a big chain electronics store.

And as for pizza express, we've recently gained a Franco Manca in the area so I'm now spared that!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
have you tried ordering a pizza in pizza express without getting the olives/bread/doughballs hard-sell?

Yes, frequently, I eat in there once a month typically, I've never noticed any hard sell. They might say* "Would you like any olives/bread/doughballs?", you say "No, I'm fine thanks.**" and that's it. That's not a hard sell. I'll tell you what they do do though, everytime I sit down some money-grabbing little toe-rag will shuffle over, rubbing their hands and ask me if I want a drink, a DRINK! The evil, thieving BASTARDS!!!

On the other hand, some people might call that customer service.

*Except they don't, I've NEVER been asked that and I've eaten in more PE's than I care to remember.

** Except I don't, I usually have some olives. I like olives. I, however, usually ask for them, for the reason listed above***.

*** Sorry about all these footnotes, I've just finished reading Terry Pratchett's latest book****, it seems to rub off on you.

**** It's very good, I heartily recommend it.

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Big Aura said:
If you avoid Ryanair (one word!) because of the con, you're probably missing a trick. If you're susceptible to the con, by all means avoid it. But if you're aware of it, you can avoid it and get a cheap flight from the most punctual airline in Europe. I fly 2-3 times a month with work, and can choose my airline. BA gives me Avios and a business class option, but I tend to fly Ryanair most as they get there on time. I'd sooner suffer the Ryanair experience and not have to arrive apologising for the delay, and also get home in time to see my kids before bed, rather than call from some far-flung airport with no idea when boarding will commence.

By the same token, if you're savvy with your tech and are buying something where you don't need a salesman to hold your hand, there's no reason not to buy from a big chain electronics store.

And as for pizza express, we've recently gained a Franco Manca in the area so I'm now spared that!

Not really missing anything as I have not flown at all for a few years (those days are thankfully behind me) and then it was business, so not really an issue. I am glad Ryan Air works for you, flying is such an unpleasant experience and reliability is undoubtedly the best way to make it a little more palatable. If I were forced to fly again, I have read/heard so many horror stories about them that I would not want to give Ryan Air my business.

Did you read my initial post about the miserable time I had at Currys? However savvy I may or may not be, it still took a very long time and was unpleasant. The inconvenience level was so high that i would rather pay more and get it home delivered (which I could not do at the time as the Currys website was broken). When I went, I knew they were bad by reputation and that I had not enjoyed my visits in pre internet days but it did not occur to me how bad they would be. The deal on the tablet saved me £30 but I had a buy an overpriced case so lets say £15 at most including petrol. It took me nearly two hours altogether, compared with less than 5 minutes for an internet purchase. My personal charge out rate is more than £7.50 an hour.

Don't know what a Franco Manca is ( I guess a chain but not seen one before) but I will bear your recommendation in mind. I live in a small town and although we have an Ask and a Pizza Express we also have two family run Italian restaurants which have better food IMHO and are no more expensive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts