Creek - what happened to...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

MusicalRabbit

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
When first announced the new cd player and amp were £500 approx each, making a combo around £1000 - £1100.

The above review now suggest they are £700 each, which makes a combo now £1400.

£400 above inital target price is quite a steep hike in approximation and as such has knocked me out of the ball park for this anticipated couple.

A shame.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
MusicalRabbit said:
When first announced the new cd player and amp were £500 approx each, making a combo around £1000 - £1100.

The above review now suggest they are £700 each, which makes a combo now £1400.

£400 above inital target price is quite a steep hike in approximation and as such has knocked me out of the ball park for this anticipated couple.

A shame.

Maybe that was ex. VAT? Some dealers will give you a discount, or ex-demo should be £100 or so less.

MusicalRabbit

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
If the cd player comes out later this year, I'd seriously consider a combo of this Creek gear, especially if I could get the price down to nearer what was stated at the start of all this. Prices should be clearly indicated as ex VAT to avoid confusion for the buying public.

And yes, WhatHiFi should review also.

sortof

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Cypher said:
I just read the review in the latest audio (04/2013) edition which is a very good magazine. The 50A got a good, but not a great review. If you read the review you can read that in many ways they preferred the old Evolution 2 amplifier.

Well, they praise the 50A for its speed and transparency but criticize it as bass shy. While I don´t think "Audio" is a very good magazine this observation is not too far off the Choice review in which in absolute terms a lack of some bass heft was noted.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The Creek got 85% in the HiFi News group test. More than Primare and Arcam´s new amp. "Outstanding dynamics". The grade is rather high, especially considering its price.

By the way, have anyone got a listen yet?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Considering it might be bass shy, as Audio.de suggest,

wouldn't PMC transmission line speakers be the ideal speaker?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
NHL said:
Considering it might be bass shy, as Audio.de suggest,

wouldn't PMC transmission line speakers be the ideal speaker?

I don't know but the amp shouldn't be bass shy in the first place. After reading the reviews of the amp I'm not that interested any more.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
A review in What Hifi should be nice
smiley-laughing.gif

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I have read the review. The Creek won the test and it was described as the best mid range amp currently available. The Arcam A19 also did very well in the test
Paul

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
Cypher said:
A review in What Hifi should be nice
smiley-laughing.gif

What HiFi is not as rose tinted as the other two magazines might be, which is why we´re nagging for a third opinion. :wave:

I'm not so sure about the "rose tinted" part, but WHF tends to have different opinions from other mags. So it would be interesting to see another opinion. Though based on the HFC and HFN reviews I think it's fair to say that the Creek is a must audition in its price range.

mikegtar

Jun 16, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I noticed the Creek is missing too... maybe WHF are waiting for the Pre amp/CD/DAC and test them together and use the amp just as a power amp. They say that makes it sound even better.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
There's just such a test in the May issue, on sale today

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/newsarchive5/amplifier_supertest_0.jpg

Runners and riders:
Arcam FMJ A19
Audiolab 8200A
Cyrus 6a
Naim Nait 5i
Onix A-25
Pioneer A-70
Rotel RA-12

chebby said:
BigH said:
Why no Creek, seems to be plenty of interest in it?

If Creek don't submit a sample for review, then ... no review.

I think if I were a manufacturer with two top write ups from magazines, which I could quote in publicity, I might not risk a less enthusiastic one which would spoil the overall impression.

Creek clearly make good products which many people like. And if fans are curious there are plenty of dealers to listen at.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
chebby said:
BigH said:

I think if I were a manufacturer with two top write ups from magazines, which I could quote in publicity, I might not risk a less enthusiastic one which would spoil the overall impression.

Creek clearly make good products which many people like. And if fans are curious there are plenty of dealers to listen at.

Why not buy one, Im sure WHF can afford to buy it, Im sure they would get their money back from increased sales, then sell it on, probably only cost £100.

Actually there are no Creek dealers in my county.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
chebby said:
BigH said:

Let me add that I've saved a lot of money by studying WHF reviews!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
What HiFi is not as rose tinted as the other two magazines might be, which is why we´re nagging for a third opinion. :wave:

:roll:

Lol, love it. Ken Kessler giving a rose tinted review, yeah right. If tis c**p he dosnt mess around. Neither does Bamford/Keywood etc etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts