Creek - what happened to...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Well Hi-Fi Choice stated in the February issue that the first review of the 50A amp would be in the March issue. That duly arrived in the post today but no review of the Creek sadly. Maybe it's been delayed again.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Apparently HiFi Choice (which I believe is a rival magazine publication, although I've never read it :shifty: ) have a review in their March edition, out this week.

Edit: Oh EDITED! I really must read other posts before I shoot my mouth off, durrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
The review is due in the April edition on sale 7th March (or earlier for subscribers like myself! ) My March edition arrived today. In an advert for the forthcoming review it does describe the Creek as a 'Superb mid priced amp' For those that are interested this months mag also has a first look at a new pair of large Spendor floorstanders called the D7. They look to be one range up from the A series and it is also reviewed next month. Finally, they are also looking at the Arcam 19

Paul

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

i saw the 50a yesterday at the German "Norddeutsche Hifitage 2013" in Hamburg. It's a well solid built amp and i do like the new design. I just could take a short look at him during a demo. As far i know the 50A replaces (or follows) the evo 2. The 50A is supposed to be available around mid february at local dealers here in Germany priced at 850 Euros. The 50D is announced for may.

Regards Dennis

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
NHL said:
Anyone got hold of the April HiFi Choice edition with the review?

Nope not yet, but as a subscriber I'm expecting mine dropping through the letterbox in the next day or two. I'm interested in reading the review, though I'm not in the market for one, I'm more than happy with my 5350 model.

Had a look at that link. When the new amp was announced last year it was going to retail at £550 but there has been quite a price hike up to £750. Presumably the new CD/DAC, the 50D, when that eventually appears will be going for the same price.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
My copy of Hi Fi Choice arrived yesterday morning. The Creek amp got an excellent review. It appears to be very neutral, detailed and well featured. It is also very flexible with modules that can be fitted as extras such as phono, FM and a planned DAC. At the price no negatives reported as such but at only about 50w the lack of power was mentioned as a possible consideration for some.

This issue also gives a good and very positive review of the new Spendor floorstanders suggestng that they are possibly the best speaker they have ever made?

Best wishes

Paul

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Had a quick look at the internals and it seems like a thoroughly well engineered amplifier with good supply and features. I pair of output devices will limit its capabilities so I'd use this one with sensitive speakers.

There really are some terrific choices around these days, despite some gloom and doom merchants prophecying the decline of 'legacy' hifi. Whilst numbers of these items will never reach those of high street AV systems its good to see that with the help of far eastern assembly Hifi firms (and multi media giants) keep producing these and they probably still outsell true 'actives' by a huge number.

Talking of which, it may be worth remembering that Kef has just released an active around the same price as this creek integrated and it seems highly capable too.

Something for everyone.

regards

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The glowing review in HFC would merit a second opinion in WHF. Better than Cyrus 6A was the conclusion, which has been the longstanding champion in WHF.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
The glowing review in HFC would merit a second opinion in WHF. Better than Cyrus 6A was the conclusion, which has been the longstanding champion in WHF.

That highlights one of the issues I've generally had with HiFi mags: Too often they fail to review prods raved about in competitors' mags.

Both of the previous iterations of the Evolution were highly acclaimed by HFC, but if I'm not mistaken, neither was reviewed by WHF. Yes, I understand that just because HFC reviews a prod doesn't mean WHF must do the same, but when a product is an award winner in another mag, I really think every possible effort should be made to compare it to your own award winners!

No more calls to Creek to request review samples, I think the WHF team need to approach Mike Creek in a back alley with cricket bats, and convince him of the need to provide a review sample.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ajani said:
No more calls to Creek to request review samples, I think the WHF team need to approach Mike Creek in a back alley with cricket bats, and convince him of the need to provide a review sample.

Can I watch please?

regards

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Ajani said:
NHL said:

That highlights one of the issues I've generally had with HiFi mags: Too often they fail to review prods raved about in competitors' mags.

Both of the previous iterations of the Evolution were highly acclaimed by HFC, but if I'm not mistaken, neither was reviewed by WHF. Yes, I understand that just because HFC reviews a prod doesn't mean WHF must do the same, but when a product is an award winner in another mag, I really think every possible effort should be made to compare it to your own award winners!

So, what is the issue, then? A British magazine not reviewing a British product, but why?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
Ajani said:

Can I watch please?

regards

I suspect that it's bad form to have witnesses to such aggressive negotiations.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
Ajani said:
NHL said:

So, what is the issue, then? A British magazine not reviewing a British product, but why?

I have no idea why it should be so difficult to get a sample of a fairly popular British integrated amp. If the Creek was some exotic product from across the ocean, I could see the issue. Or if it had mostly negative or just mediocre reviews then I could understand ignoring it. I would think that as the mag approaches awards time they would make every effort to hear all the top contenders (which should include previous award winners in other mags).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I find the review selection a bit unbalanced there are loads of int. ams from one manufacturer say Cyrus, Marantz, Rotel and then none for say Creek, Audiolab and until last month Arcam. I understand some man. don't want to send their gear in for reviews for various reasons but it does leave a rather unbalanced selection for readers to choose from. If they are ot sent in gear then they have to buy it and then resell at a loss, so it costs money.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I just read the review in HFC. What Hifi need to review this one...............now
smiley-wink.gif

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
For those interested, Creek has posted a PDF of the review on their website. Based on the review I'm expecting a fight between the Cyrus 6 and the Creek for HFC's award this year. I'm still hoping to see a WHF review though!

Attached is the link for a pdf of the review from creek's website (Mods if the link violates forum rules, please delete it):

http://creekaudio.com/reviews/HFC370_Creek_EV050A_small.pdf

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I just read the review in the latest audio (04/2013) edition which is a very good magazine. The 50A got a good, but not a great review. If you read the review you can read that in many ways they preferred the old Evolution 2 amplifier.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It would be interesting to see more reviews of old v new equipment. It seems from reviews that every year new gear is better but Im not so sure that todays stuff is much better than 10 or 20 years ago. Mags used to do reviews like this not sure if they still do.

How does a Marantz 6004 compare with an Arcan Alpha 3 or Arcan Alpha 9?

Yes I agree certainly an amp WHF should review, alongside a few other middle weight contenters.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts