Creek - what happened to...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
NHL said:
What HiFi is not as rose tinted as the other two magazines might be, which is why we´re nagging for a third opinion. :wave:

:roll:

Lol, love it. Ken Kessler giving a rose tinted review, yeah right. If tis c**p he dosnt mess around. Neither does Bamford/Keywood etc etc.

Correct, WHF have the most relevant review rating system. WHF does not seem to consider the price tag, in as much as other magazines do. Best information for the ordinary public. Period.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
floyd droid said:
NHL said:
What HiFi is not as rose tinted as the other two magazines might be, which is why we´re nagging for a third opinion. :wave:

:roll:

Lol, love it. Ken Kessler giving a rose tinted review, yeah right. If tis c**p he dosnt mess around. Neither does Bamford/Keywood etc etc.

Correct, WHF have the most relevant review rating system. WHF does not seem to consider the price tag, in as much as other magazines do. Best information for the ordinary public. Period.

Got a sneaky feeling we may have our wires crossed a tad here.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking that too
smiley-laughing.gif

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Any updates?
Has anyone any experience with the new creek evolution 50A?
Any comparisons with other amps in demo'ing?
Any owners of the new creek?
In the absence of a what hifi review, maybe the forum could provide experiences in the meantime atleast?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes I did manage to hear the A50, hardly any dealers in my area which is surprising as is made in this area. I thouht it was very good, very detailed but fairly neutral, seemed quite powerful for its 50W rating, I preferred it to the Arcam which seemed too refined for my taste but I must say these demos were at different dealers and that is the problem finding a dealer that carries these amps to compare. Of the amps I heard its my favourite.

If you can't find a dealer near you, you can get one on loan from Creek for 14 days.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I notice on the Creek website that the new Ambit FM/AM Tuner module has been released, which can be used in the 50A amp and the 100A too.

First I've heard about a 100A model.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
NHL said:
New HiFi Choice edition tests Creek 50A against several sharp competitors!

HiFi Choice like Creek dont they? The 50A came tops in the Group Test Integrated Amps £600-£800, up against the Arcam A19, NAD C356BEE, Pioneer A70, Rotel RA-12, and TEAC AI-100. To be fair to HFC all the amps tested got decent reviews and all have their merits.

Andrew Everard seems to like it with the Ambit tuner module too.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DIB said:
NHL said:

HiFi Choice like Creek dont they? The 50A came tops in the Group Test Integrated Amps £600-£800, up against the Arcam A19, NAD C356BEE, Pioneer A70, Rotel RA-12, and TEAC AI-100. To be fair to HFC all the amps tested got decent reviews and all have their merits.

Not sure about they like Creek but they liked the 50A, so does every other review Ive seen, pity WHF did not get one in to review. Strange as soon as Andrew leaves he gets to review one.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
DIB said:
NHL said:

Since it is some kind of blind test, then the result is actually quite interesting.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I do not have access to the Hi-Fi Choice review but in the past their methodology has been what I would describe as a 'blind group test'. Some years ago I took part in a few such tests and this is how they went.

A small group of 'experienced' listeners (the usual industry suspects) listen to the items without knowing specifically which they are although they are probably aware of what items are under test.

In this case, each amplifier is played in sequence but not individually identified, followed by a seemingly randon replaying of the amps under test, the listeners usually know that they are listening to amplifier A or B or C but not what they are. Direct comparisons are made, but not usually in sufficient numbers to be scientifically vald.

The group listens together and discusses what they hear so that, in effect, a sort of consensus opinion is reached, though to be fair, if someone disagrees strongly with the consensus it is made clear in the report.

I do not know if the tests are still done in this way but if they are somewhat similar I would tend to give them rather more credence than the usual sighted, hands on tests that are the norm. On the other hand it is worth pointing out that group testing in this way is not remotely scientific in the way that 'proper' double blind or ABX testing is, but personally, from my experience, I find them quite enlightening.

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
* no one has noted this yet :quest:

The Evolution 50A has seen the light for a few months now.

And now... finally the 'other one' is also availble. :clap: 8)

The long awaited Evolution 50CD!

http://www.creekaudio.com/cd-players/evolution-50cd/

Reading the info-leaflet, the technical part of the DAC is not what was mentioned at first.

No ESS Sabre chip-set but all Wolfson.

(otherwise it might have been to much a copy of the Audiolab 8200CD??) ;)

What USB input-chip is being used is not clear to me yet.

Anyway, I like the whole functionality and looks of this CD/DAC unit.

Reviews please! :wave: :grin:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
WX said:
* no one has noted this yet :quest:

The Evolution 50A has seen the light for a few months now.

And now... finally the 'other one' is also availble. :clap: 8)

The long awaited Evolution 50CD!

http://www.creekaudio.com/cd-players/evolution-50cd/

Reading the info-leaflet, the technical part of the DAC is not what was mentioned at first.

No ESS Sabre chip-set but all Wolfson.

(otherwise it might have been to much a copy of the Audiolab 8200CD??) ;)

What USB input-chip is being used is not clear to me yet.

Anyway, I like the whole functionality and looks of this CD/DAC unit.

Reviews please! :wave: :grin:

Looks good, glad they got rid of the tray which seemed a bit flimsy on their previous cdps. Do you know the price?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Looks nice, and in tandem with the matching 50A amp would look a treat on anyones rack.

In reference to BigH's comment, I have not found the tray on the old Evo 2 CD player flimsy, and I've had two over the years.

( ...watch it break now I've just said that).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts